Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
pazzerfox

Big Club!

9 hours ago, Pete from the USA said:

Leicester are a big club of a new kind. I live 4000 miles away and watch every week. I played football as a kid but never watched the EPL until Leicester won the title. I learned who Man City and Liverpool are by watching them play Leicester. LCFC is a unique, global brand, viewed as symbolizing the struggle of the middle class against the elites who run the world (see the thread "message from the algerians"). It  is powerful and symbolic of the times we live in. That Leicester are based in the midlands and not a big population center is a powerful part of the story. 

What's exciting about LCFC is not that they buy superstars, but that they create them. Vardy, Mahrez, Ndidi, Kante, Schmeichel, etc., and recently Maguire, all entered the club as nobodys and became superstars. Sure, there have been some duds, but it's in the nature of giving unknowns a chance that some will succeed and others will not. Note that while some of these players have left, most have stayed. 

There's nothing inspiring about watching traditional big clubs (e.g. Man United) who live in an ocean of money, brainlessly buying superstars and dumping those who don't perform. There's no loyalty or goodwill behind anything they do. When they win it's boring and uninspiring. No thanks. 

I would love to see Leicester continue to be Leicester, but better: fight the good fight, grow new superstars by developing young and forgotten players who play as a team, and pop up and win a title once a decade just to remind us all that we don't have to bend over and let the rich run the world. This is more meaningful than becoming another "top six"-type side.

Good read,From another angle...

If you like one can say From the New Form of fan...

"The Sofa/Distant"  fan was always there,but now due to forums and the various social media platforms,  still a minority fan,but a fan base with More shout and louder expression,that now have a true and real Voice and loyal support,as  strong as the

long suffering terrace, all weather fan

Teams like Leicester,Leipzig,and Croatia give a New base for this New of would be supporter...

Some will drift,some will say loyal to their 1st choice introductive Club/Team,or even become..top neutral supporters...

Its also nice to know,that they too stay proportional,and dont just chase the megabuck/media giants.

Edited by fuchsntf

It's disingenuous when some say Manchester City and Chelsea weren't big clubs before the money, obviously they weren't as large as they are now but nobody was 25, 50 or 75 years ago. They'd both won the top flight prior to their takeovers and won multiple cups, not as if they had a small fanbase, either.

Edited by Stadt

10 hours ago, splinterdream said:

Lovely sentiment but realistically in the Premier League you can only do that so long, see Southampton as an example that produced great talent and played good football and looked to break into the big time and just kept getting players picked off until they almost get relegated which a certain ex pro might blame on our current manager. I’m a little worried for us this season.

Southampton don't have the global following of Leicester. The reason is that they never won the league. I live near Chicago and see people wearing Leicester shirts at the gym. Nobody here has ever even heard to Southampton. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pete from the USA said:

Southampton don't have the global following of Leicester. The reason is that they never won the league. I live near Chicago and see people wearing Leicester shirts at the gym. Nobody here has ever even heard to Southampton. 

hahaha that is amazing to hear, having been forced down the football by my Dad when i was knee high to a grasshopper, supporting United for a short while as a kid (because it was cool), to then realising where my heart is, there's nothing better to hear that we're getting some recognition because supporting city is the best, we've had some dross seasons but the thrilling ones far outweigh them, Leicester City is a truly entertaining team to follow imo.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, splinterdream said:

hahaha that is amazing to hear, having been forced down the football by my Dad when i was knee high to a grasshopper, supporting United for a short while as a kid (because it was cool), to then realising where my heart is, there's nothing better to hear that we're getting some recognition because supporting city is the best, we've had some dross seasons but the thrilling ones far outweigh them, Leicester City is a truly entertaining team to follow imo.

Yes, but you raise a good point: Leicester are only going to survive if they can avoid getting raided. I don't know how they will avoid this. It helps that they are the 20th richest club in Europe now and can offer competitive contracts, which comes back to the global fan base. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pete from the USA said:

Yes, but you raise a good point: Leicester are only going to survive if they can avoid getting raided. I don't know how they will avoid this. It helps that they are the 20th richest club in Europe now and can offer competitive contracts, which comes back to the global fan base. 

When you say we're big in America, how big are we compared to Man U or Liverpool?

5 minutes ago, Great Boos Up said:

I don't want us to be a big club. I like the plucky little Leicester tag or the written off who sometimes can turn around and give the big boys a black eye and a bloody nose.

A big club to me is a club that regularly gets Europe and expects it, I want Leicester to be that club, it's the only way you can attract the players that give you a better chance of staying in the Prem, it helps you to retain players like Mahrez and they don't come along to often, with our purchases of players like him, Kante, N'didi, Maguire, Vardy, we have many mediocre expensive signings which may end up write offs which is expensive, repeated success brings larger fan base, they go hand in hand. I am a victim of our success though as having been a season ticket holder in previous years and taking a break, I now cant get one but Im prepared to be patient and hope that we'll expand the stadium.

1 minute ago, splinterdream said:

A big club to me is a club that regularly gets Europe and expects it, I want Leicester to be that club, it's the only way you can attract the players that give you a better chance of staying in the Prem, it helps you to retain players like Mahrez and they don't come along to often, with our purchases of players like him, Kante, N'didi, Maguire, Vardy, we have many mediocre expensive signings which may end up write offs which is expensive, repeated success brings larger fan base, they go hand in hand. I am a victim of our success though as having been a season ticket holder in previous years and taking a break, I now cant get one but Im prepared to be patient and hope that we'll expand the stadium.

Spurs sold Bale. They now have the "biggerist  and bestest" ever stadium but that wont keep Kane forever.

The problem with being a big fish is that there is always a bigger fish !

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Great Boos Up said:

Spurs sold Bale. They now have the "biggerist  and bestest" ever stadium but that wont keep Kane forever.

I don't know, that cheese tasting room looks pretty special.

7 minutes ago, Webbo said:

When you say we're big in America, how big are we compared to Man U or Liverpool?

In the college town where I live, similar. Though Leicester attract a different type of fan.

Rooting for the underdog is a big American tradition. It's the reason the Chicago Cubs have always had a huge following even though they didn't win the World Series for 108 years. The rivalry between Man U and Leicester fans is small and new but looks a bit like the rivalry between Cubs and White Sox fans.  

• Like 1

I'm glad Pete sees a Man U-like level of interest.  That doesn't exist where I'm from.  When we went to see the USMNT in the Gold Cup a year ago, (about 30K attendance), I probably saw 40 different club shirts.  Multiple seasons worth of Man U, Arse, Pool and Chelsea.  Lots of Real/Ronaldo and Barca/Messi of course.  Even Galatasaray.  But not one LCFC -- and I was looking.  In my metro area of 1.5M I’ve only ever seen a Leicester shirt on my wife or myself.

What would be informative would be to see NBC Sports’ data for the on-demand streaming of last season’s PL games.  That would show exactly where we stand among US fans who care enough to pay to watch PL football.  Among casual or non-fans, I’m sure City blazed into their field of view (quite a feat TBH) but then vanished.

Side note, the US media (not limited to NBC) have been force-feeding Spurs as if they own an interest.

It's funny that where ever I am, if I see another City fan, they are suddenly my best mate. I drive my Mrs insane as I always manage to latch onto another LCFC fan whenever we go away lol

I'm not so sure that Man Utd fans are quite the same as there are so many of them that you expect to see them all over the place.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Great Boos Up said:

I'm sick of hearing the likes of Murphy saying Riyad deserves a bigger club. or Keown with his Maguire comment, I now see Ferdinand and Seaman are in on the action with trying to get Maguire to move, do they get paid for this I wonder?

Kane may not stay at Spurs forever but you don't hear these same idiots suggesting he make a move.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

Kane may not stay at Spurs forever but you don't hear these same idiots suggesting he make a move.

That isn't true. There has been a lot of talk over the last couple of years that he should be winning trophies. And clearly that ain't been happening at White Hart Lane. A number have pundits have suggested he will have to look elsewhere.

• Like 1

On the general point we are undoubtedly at a cross roads. Another couple of seasons with no Europe and inconsistent form and the Prem win and CL run memories will start to fade.

But the owners have proved to be smart cookies and are doing the right things. We just have to get it right on the pitch again.

And personally I'd rather be mixing it than average Joes. No reason why we can't keep our identity.

Couldn't give a puck about other clubs, Leicester City rule the Midlands,and to me we are a big club and on the verge of being even bigger.New training ground, stadium expansion and ambitious owners who are ruthless, only means long term success.

Edited by VIKTOR-LE5

7 hours ago, Nalis said:

Dont mind me, was making a reference from the film Kevin and Perry Go Large. 

Don't mind me.  Your cultural reference beats my cartoon :thumbup:  

It just made me think about the caveman (or Tree-sitter?) level of some "my club is bigger than your club" debates.

Especially as conducted by those who weren't alive to remember the "big" days ....

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Pete from the USA said:

:blink:

Btw, we‘re not the 20th richest club in the world, it‘s about revenue, not wealth.

It costs a hell of a lot of money to break into that top 6 aswell.We have seen in the recent past new owners come in at the likes of Sunderland and Villa with the best

of intentions to try and break into the top bracket,only then to bulk at the size of the task of constantly throwing money at it just to stand still.Eventually they lose interest and it goes downhill fast.

Our owners seem to be going about things the right way.Steady progress and a clear vision.We now seem to have made the £25 mill bracket our target range,which  is progress indeed.However the big clubs now deal in 50/60 million and much more for their annual big name signing.

With a bit of luck we might be able to bite the ankles of the top 6 for a while.To break into it though might be beyond us.

Leicester fans in Leicester don’t always realise how big the premier league win was and what it meant to people around the world.

Leicester will never be the same club it was before that win and it will always symbolise the triumph of the little guy-a glorious romantic story with a magical edge.

Leicester can build on that magic and in time tap into the goodwill that now exists towards it. The money is there, the fan base is growing and the ambition is clear.

Our American friend understands this

better than most of the home town support.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We are A LOT bigger than we was !

Other clubs with prominent representation in Russia included familiar domestic powerhouses such as Tottenham, Juventus, Bayern Munich, Manchester United, Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain.

Interestingly, the next club on that list is 2015/16 Premier League champions Leicester - who had 10 members of their squad appear on the world stage.

2DCCA133-B61F-477A-A837-0880E32A91C9.png

• Like 2

Question for the group: Is there really only one way to be a "big club"?

We know from Man City that if you spend enough money (billions) and are ruthless enough (poach other clubs, sell anyone who isn't instantly performing at a top level), you can become a big club and win titles. Doing this is totally uninspiring, at least to me, no matter how beautiful the football. 

On the other hand, we all know that money isn't everything. Players are people and can perform amazing in one context but tank in another. Also, whether a side wins depends most on whether they gel and play as a team.

Leicester showed us in 2016 that a group of talented but imperfect players, in a supportive environment--if they play like a team--can rise up and win a title. Maybe they can't do it day-in and day-out, but great things are possible. Leicester winning the title wasn't a fluke: They were the best team that season. The club will never be the same again. Football as a sport will never be the same again. 

So, here's the question: Is it possible to be "big" in a different way, supporting talented but imperfect players and working as a team, rather than just dumping tons of cash?

People on this forum agree that Leicester will never be able to spend like Man City do. Personally, I would consider it a failure anyway, because then they would just become another bunch of ruthless elites.

Is there another way?

Edited by Pete from the USA
  • Like 2