Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
cityfanlee23

So many "puel out" calls from fans, so who replaces him?

19 minutes ago, Simoken said:

Yeah, lets go back to lobbing it up front to Vardy with hope, while the opposition sits back and cleans it up. 

Instead now we pass it about with no effect and the opposition cleans it up.

• Like 4

I'm up for giving Puel more time and seeing where we go. I'm certainly not going to belittle anyone who wants to change manager, because I can honestly understand why. 

There have been suggestions that Puel shouldn't have been given the job in the first place. Just cast your minds back to where we were when we sacked Shakespeare. We were sat in the bottom three, the favourites for the job included Pardew and Coleman, we looked short of options in central midfield and the Ranieri sacking was still fresh in the minds of potential candidates. We were certainly not an attractive proposition at the time. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bunyip said:

Sadly I'm looking at the sights on the pitch and I'm seeing nothing there that gives me hope for the future of anywhere near the top six. Never mind small adjustments we need a wholesale change of tactics and a manager who can inspire and lead. I'm afraid Puel is not that person. The very fact that not only are a lot of the fans saying he needs to go but the bookies know it too. 

We're not getting anywhere near the top six this season. We were never going to. The players and team we have aren't 'currently' good enough. Barring 15/16 levels of good fortune a competent manager which I believe Puel is, will get this team finishing 8th - 13th.  

When you say you want a manager to inspire I assume you mean the fans as ive not seen the players uninspired this season. Pearson can inspire and lead players apparently but there's no way he'd be doing any better than Puel currently is. 

Not at all sure why your bringing bookies into this as their opinion means sweet FA! Our situation currently is nowhere near bad enough to require a managerial change but you and a depressing number of people have a real problem with Puel and just want him gone at least partially to say 'I was right all along'

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Simoken said:

Yeah, lets go back to lobbing it up front to Vardy with hope, while the opposition sits back and cleans it up. Shakespeare/Ranieri failed to make this system work, and they paid the price. I would prefer to see something different being attempted and evolve from it, thats more exciting to think about but you cant see past anything more than yesterday. If you think we can go from Counter attacking > possession based in a year and play just as its being planned then you clearly dont know how business works. You have to fail before you succeed. regards to Maddison and your comments, its his first season in the premier league, as always lets give him a full season before judgement yeah?

My judgements on Maddison aren't a criticism to him, he's class. It's the fact that he is our creative spark and we have so far failed to get him the ball that often. We are still lobbing the ball up as well so stop that myth that it's all about intricate passing. The difference now is we don't play football with any urgency or paces, it doesn't matter if you're trying to play direct counter attacking football or you're playing a fast passing game, you need to get the opposition on the back foot. We allow time after time the opposition to set their defence before we come attacking, it usually leads to us working it out wide and aimless crosses coming in to our one striker in the box. Vardy isnt strong at attacking crosses, this is why it's easy to defend against us by sitting back.

When Puel first arrived, it was clear he spent time trying to get us to be more comfortable in possession, which was massively needed. If you watched us, we started games really well with fast football, pressed high and didn't allow the opposition to settle. We took the lead early in a number of games and then when teams started to get back in to it he'd taught us how to slow the game down a bit and retain possession. It was game management and we'd become a team who were acting cuter. Where has that gone now? We no longer launch fast attacks, the possession is often as a consequence of teams sitting back and letting us have the ball. They are setting traps for us to lose it, so they can hit us out of position. This is something we did effectively when we won the league and we'd be licking our lips at playing teams like us now. 

We need pace to our play. Without it we're too easy to out think and out play.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bunyip said:

Sadly I'm looking at the sights on the pitch and I'm seeing nothing there that gives me hope for the future of anywhere near the top six. Never mind small adjustments we need a wholesale change of tactics and a manager who can inspire and lead. I'm afraid Puel is not that person. The very fact that not only are a lot of the fans saying he needs to go but the bookies know it too. 

Top Six? You mad?

We lost our most prolific midfielder in decades over the summer and you think we'd walk it with this newly-assembled squad and do better than last season?

You make me laugh.

The best we can hope for is doing a Burnley 2017-2018 and eye the Europa League qualification stages. Either that or a good cup run (for once), doing well in either the FA or League Cup.

Sadly, given the setup right now and the sketchy performances on the pitch during the first five league matches doesn't give me the hope that it'll come good as we approach May 2019. But I'll let Puel surprise me.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gubbins said:

We're not getting anywhere near the top six this season. We were never going to. The players and team we have aren't 'currently' good enough. Barring 15/16 levels of good fortune a competent manager which I believe Puel is, will get this team finishing 8th - 13th.  

When you say you want a manager to inspire I assume you mean the fans as ive not seen the players uninspired this season. Pearson can inspire and lead players apparently but there's no way he'd be doing any better than Puel currently is. 

Not at all sure why your bringing bookies into this as their opinion means sweet FA! Our situation currently is nowhere near bad enough to require a managerial change but you and a depressing number of people have a real problem with Puel and just want him gone at least partially to say 'I was right all along'

Well, a depressing number of people having a problem with Puel surely tells you something? So not really just my opinion is it? Not sure why you are bringing Pearson into the topic either. But oddly enough I hope you are right and I'm wrong on this subject and we do turn the corner under him. It is, of course, all a matter of opinion and You presented yours very well. Here's hoping.

4 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Top Six? You mad?

We lost our most prolific midfielder in decades over the summer and you think we'd walk it with this newly-assembled squad and do better than last season?

You make me laugh.

The best we can hope for is doing a Burnley 2017-2018 and eye the Europa League qualification stages. Either that or a good cup run (for once), doing well in either the FA or League Cup.

Sadly, given the setup right now and the sketchy performances on the pitch during the first five league matches doesn't give me the hope that it'll come good as we approach May 2019. But I'll let Puel surprise me.

I think you misread my post as it was in answer to another poster who suggested somewhere near the top six not me. And no I don't think we would walk anything this season I'm in the Puel out camp. So not sure where you thought otherwise?

21 minutes ago, Bunyip said:

Well, a depressing number of people having a problem with Puel surely tells you something? So not really just my opinion is it? Not sure why you are bringing Pearson into the topic either. But oddly enough I hope you are right and I'm wrong on this subject and we do turn the corner under him. It is, of course, all a matter of opinion and You presented yours very well. Here's hoping.

It tells me that given the fact weve had an average (midtable!) start but some people are treating it like it's a complete disaster and proof that relegation is inevitable, that weve both developed a lot of over entitled fans and have fans who won't accept Puel even if he achieves realistic expectations. He's actually disproved some things people were criticising him for. ('Were so boring, I just wanna be entertained!' 'I can't see us scoring enough goals' 'The players aren't playing for him') But this just gets replaced with other things to moan about because people don't want to be proved wrong and want him gone. This thread is quite telling in this regard as no one has come up with a guaranteed successful replacement. They just want him out and they'll worry about things staying the same or even getting worse later.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BenTheFox said:

I'm up for giving Puel more time and seeing where we go. I'm certainly not going to belittle anyone who wants to change manager, because I can honestly understand why. 

There have been suggestions that Puel shouldn't have been given the job in the first place. Just cast your minds back to where we were when we sacked Shakespeare. We were sat in the bottom three, the favourites for the job included Pardew and Coleman, we looked short of options in central midfield and the Ranieri sacking was still fresh in the minds of potential candidates. We were certainly not an attractive proposition at the time. 

Once again, we were not.

3 minutes ago, Gubbins said:

It tells me that given the fact weve had an average (midtable!) start but some people are treating it like it's a complete disaster and proof that relegation is inevitable, that weve both developed a lot of over entitled fans and have fans who won't accept Puel even if he achieves realistic expectations. He's actually disproved some things people were criticising him for. ('Were so boring, I just wanna be entertained!' 'I can't see us scoring enough goals' 'The players aren't playing for him') But this just gets replaced with other things to moan about because people don't want to be proved wrong and want him gone. This thread is quite telling in this regard as no one has come up with a guaranteed successful replacement. They just want him out and they'll worry about things staying the same or even getting worse later.

I don’t think you’re being fair to a lot of people who are criticising him, not all of us doing so are advocating immediate removal either. With the amount of resources he has had, his performance as manager has been disappointing. I’m all for evolving our style of play to a more cultured continental style but if he won’t address the flaws in his plan, I can only assume he cannot see them. The same issues we are having now, are the problems we had at the end of last season, you cannot claim he hasn’t had time to address them. If he keeps picking the back four that he did against Bournemouth, we will concede much more than we score and we all know where that leaves you.

• Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I don’t think you’re being fair to a lot of people who are criticising him, not all of us doing so are advocating immediate removal either. With the amount of resources he has had, his performance as manager has been disappointing. I’m all for evolving our style of play to a more cultured continental style but if he won’t address the flaws in his plan, I can only assume he cannot see them. The same issues we are having now, are the problems we had at the end of last season, you cannot claim he hasn’t had time to address them. If he keeps picking the back four that he did against Bournemouth, we will concede much more than we score and we all know where that leaves you.

I'm probably not being fair to everyone but the fact that all it's taken is one defeat away to a midtable side (something that has happened in every single season Leicester City has existed) for half this forum to lose their minds or start slamming the manager shows there is some truth to what I'm saying. Four or five defeats on the trot, crashing into the bottom three or genuinely looking like relegation fodder is cause for the amount of negativity currently going round, not our current position.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, iamafox said:

People are saying that Puel needs time to implement his system towards the players but the trouble is, you don't get much time to do that in this day and age.

I think if we were suffering different problems, I’d be ok with the time argument but he hasn’t fixed last seasons problems and they’re down to his tactics. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Gubbins said:

I'm probably not being fair to everyone but the fact that all it's taken is one defeat away to a midtable side (something that has happened in every single season Leicester City has existed) for half this forum to lose their minds or start slamming the manager shows there is some truth to what I'm saying. Four or five defeats on the trot, crashing into the bottom three or genuinely looking like relegation fodder is cause for the amount of negativity currently going round, not our current position.

That is simply not the case.

The reason people are voicing concerns and have been since our awful run last season is due to 41 games and almost a year in charge, not 1 game.

His full 34 PL games point average: 1.23 ppg

The last 26 games point average: 1.04 ppg

The last 19 games point average: 1.00 ppg 

This is not a knee jerk reaction or irrational response to going 4-0 down to Bournemouth, a side that our squad is valued at close to double theirs...

This is a reaction to the full picture of his 41 games in charge.

The majority of those criticising him are actually doing it in a productive way too, i.e suggesting what his shortcomings are and what we feel he should change and YES, also advocating for more time to make those changes. 

Edited by STUHILL

14 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

That is simply not the case.

The reason people are voicing concerns and have been since our awful run last season is due to 41 games and almost a year in charge, not 1 game.

His full 34 PL games point average: 1.23 ppg

The last 26 games point average: 1.04 ppg

The last 19 games point average: 1.00 ppg 

This is not a knee jerk reaction or irrational response to going 4-0 down to Bournemouth, a side that our squad is valued at close to double theirs...

This is a reaction to the full picture of his 41 games in charge.

The majority of those criticising him are actually doing it in a productive way too, i.e suggesting what his shortcomings are and what we feel he should change and YES, also advocating for more time to make those changes. 

This I have no real issue with. Personal insults towards him on the other hand are not OK. Especially when he conducts himself quite well. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Strokes said:

There is something very Craig Levein about Puel.

Yeah, I mentioned this as well recently. Personality wise and their methods. Just needs a cap and glasses and a dog shit striker from one of the Dutch colonies and we're good to go.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Yeah, I mentioned this as well recently. Personality wise and their methods. Just needs a cap and glasses and a dog shit striker from one of the Dutch colonies and we're good to go.

I meant that his philosophy is sound and it always feels like you’re just one piece of the puzzle away but maybe he isn’t the right person to oversee his ideas. 

A good manager could and should achieve things with this squad.

2 hours ago, Gubbins said:

But to be fair most people opinions on Puel are born out of what they see on the pitch, there is nothing like the first-hand experience. Some people can be very positive about him but the majority feel like the little boy in the Hans Christian Anderson tale who sees the king is not wearing any clothes. The things you say that are being said about him ie Boring not scoring enough goals, the players are not playing for him, do you think people are saying that because they have some sort of personal grudge against Puel? 

Or could it be that they are saying those things because of what they have seen with their own eyes? And we as fans do not need to come up with an alternative manager to qualify to criticise the present manager, We do not pick the next manager end of. What you rather derogatorily refer to us as moaning is nothing more than a realisation from most fans as to what they have seen on the pitch. It is a reaction to the awful sterile football employed by Puel and it is what got him the sack in his previous clubs.

Edited by Bunyip

The biggest question to those who want him gone is what direction should we go in? Should we carry on the same road we're going down in terms of possession football and wanting to promote young players and employ a manager who you think could just get us doing it more effectively? OR do you think we should refer back to the more direct counter-attacking style where the main emphasis was more on defensive organisation?