Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Huddersfield H post match thread 3-1

14 hours ago, Captain... said:

One of the many advantages of three at the back is it gives us width and means we don’t need a double pivot in the middle. Ideally Silva could play with either Mendy or Ndidi and dictate the play assuming he is the player we thought we signed and not the player we have seen struggle.

The starting 11 was actually not that far from the 3421 that many would like. Just swap Ghezzal for Ricardo and play Amartey as RCB. Plenty of cover for most positions except maybe Vardy (Gray?), Chilwell (Fuchs?), Maddison (Shinji, Gray,  Ghezzal?). Loads of options at CB and midfield. Marc to cover for Ricardo.

13 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

You look at the age of most of our players and the experience amongst a lot of our attackers. Then you start to understand why they are so inconsistent how they play. We play in spells. It’s not really a surprise. 

The doom merchants about relegation - have some confidence in this team, we should always have enough in this squad to see off the lower 15th to 20th bunch at home. 

This.

Funny how we are conceding early and scoring late. It is almost as if we have a young side who get a bit bullied when oppo legs are fresh, but who gradually exert their qualitee and extra running as the game goes on.

Like this description of our first goal from the Guardian match report 

The goal in the 19th minute originated from a Huddersfield corner. That was cleared and as the ball bounced midway inside the Leicester half, two Huddersfield players rushed forward to try to collect it, vacating their defensive posts like bank guards rendered giddy by the arrival of an ice-cream van. Maddison got to the ball first and Leicester acted quickly to loot the vaults, Maddison feeding Vardy, who served Iheanacho, who fired low into the net from the edge of the box.

• Like 1

When the line up was announced, I thought Puel had lost the plot. But he deserves credit and the narrow 4-2-3-1 we saw against Huddersfield should be the way forward. 

We lined up as a 4-2-3-1, but Ghezzal and Maddison did not play like wingers. They often drifted in very narrow and were switching sides and both of them popped up on the left together to create overloads with Chilwell. 

When Gray came on we tweaked it slightly, Maddison still had the licence to roam, but Gray mainly stuck to the right to create width and Iheanacho dropped a bit deeper to offer a link.

Ideally for the narrow 4-2-3-1 to work, we’d get the width from our RB and have another Number 10 like Maddison on the right of the 3 behind Vardy and 2 wingers on the bench if we need to make adjustments.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bert said:

We are a lot less predictable to play against now, but still not a hard team to face if that makes sense and for me that just shows the quality of the team. 

Was thinking that myself yesterday, the fact we've got a few decent players gets us out of the shit. We aren't really functioning as a team still.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shane said:

When the line up was announced, I thought Puel had lost the plot. But he deserves credit and the narrow 4-2-3-1 we saw against Huddersfield should be the way forward. 

We lined up as a 4-2-3-1, but Ghezzal and Maddison did not play like wingers. They often drifted in very narrow and were switching sides and both of them popped up on the left together to create overloads with Chilwell. 

When Gray came on we tweaked it slightly, Maddison still had the licence to roam, but Gray mainly stuck to the right to create width and Iheanacho dropped a bit deeper to offer a link.

Ideally for the narrow 4-2-3-1 to work, we’d get the width from our RB and have another Number 10 like Maddison on the right of the 3 behind Vardy and 2 wingers on the bench if we need to make adjustments.

Let's be honest!!! And let's be fair...

More often than not...it's  short sighted posters who can't see further than the bogey dangling from the nose...

Then lose the whole bloody county,and not just the plot!!! :tumbleweed:

Then have the audacity,to shout negativeeveryweek,over The new Le Miserables,led by the French revolutionaire Mssr Puel

The Marseillaise....The Leicesteraise

Grab your scarfes and clappers, citizens!
Form your battalions!
Let us shame Let us stomp!
May non believers impure blood
leave valued points scattered  behind on our fields!

Guest TheBear

Not sure if it has been mentioned but Daniel Amartey needs to be fined every time he makes a foul throw, it seems he does it every other game, might seem petty but there is no excuse for it, school boy stuff!

57 minutes ago, Bagworthblue said:

As a coach myself, it's clear to me what is happening and in time we should improve considerably but patience will be needed.

Increasingly in the past, we faced teams like Huddersfield sitting deep ( initially) and staying compact in fear of our counter. Games like Saturday may well have ended 0-1 Or 0-0 In the past.

Puel is trying to get us to retain possession more but also attack at speed either via quick passes to break central lines or via the counter.

The issue is that when you try to get players to focus more on keeping possession, reduce the % game longer balls, players often go too far the other way. This is what we started doing last season, at times this season and what Southampton did the Season before. To please the manager you choose not to lose possession, recycle, recycle, recycle bit you've missed much of his message.

The result is we play sideways, we isolate Vardy etc and deny any kind of service. From being fast and furious, we go to the opposite extreme and play a too measured ( boring) game.

In other words, players start to go too far in the opposite direction as possession becomes key.and they fear losing it too much.

Albeit not overly enthralling to listen to, Puel has always maintained the desire to play quick attacking football, not retain possession at all cost, to be brave etc but players on the pitch are a little too afraid at first to do this as it may result in lost possession. Equally, it relies on good movement infield from your advanced midfielders and striker. Yes it means Vardy sometimes has to offer himself up to hold up as a 10 not play constantly as a 9. 

On Saturday, early on I saw Schmeichel grab the ball and look long for Vardy. On a few other occasions, I saw us try a more direct approach. I was impressed on Saturday as it was the 1st time in a while I saw us trying to move back to the centre ground we need to be at. A mixed game where sometimes you switch play to create space to break lines and other times where you look longer. This makes us more unpredictable and is key for breaking down stubborn teams who park the bus.

There was good movement at times in the pockets of space but all too often it's Madders. Nacho, Guezzal etc need to come narrow at times to create forward opportunities more often too.

At 2-1 up, Huddersfield had to gamble and play a higher line which makes Vardy a greater threat again. 

Mendy and Wilf are looking great but need to look for those line splitting balls more. Maguire is crucial as he breaks lines with passes more than anyone. Other than him, Amartey also finds those line splitting balls which is why he's preferred to Simpson who could only really play safe or go long down the line. 

We've gone from 1 extreme of play to the other over the course of last season but the owners held their nerve. Its easy to panic and pull out halfway through a transition but we are now showing signs of gradually making better decisions more often and showing greater movement to enable those line breaking moves forwards. There is a fair way to go and with younger players we need to be patient. With older players accept change is hard to adjust to as they may have played a certsin wsy for years and for some just not conduisive to their skillset.(Simpson)

I just hope we forgive the lapses and allow the progress to continue. Puel bores me shit less but that's no reason to discount the progress he is slowly but surely making. 

I don't post much so apologies for the essays when I do. ?

Geat post :appl:

https://www.lcfc.com/tv/859472/puel-they-gave-their-best-all-the-time

Here's what the man himself had to say about the game (I find it easier to watch on mute and skipping through to speed it up given Puel's delivery lol) but he says things that are very much in line with your post. He thought the team played it too square in the first half but had better passing transitions with more forward passing in the second. So I think he knows the problems but it's taking longer than expected to coach the players the right way.

You can see he's also majorly pissed off about our starts to games and sloppy defending. A lot of blame gets put on Puel for our slow starts which is somewhat justified given it keeps happening, but you can also see that he's majorly aware of it and calls it the biggest weakness of our game. He mentions how against Bournemouth we actually did start well but conceded on literally their first attempt in their game.

• Like 1