Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Huddersfield H post match thread 3-1

33 minutes ago, StanSP said:

or it's to keep possession and not let the opposition have any control with the ball?

I'll agree with the option of perhaps making a riskier pass but if not made, it doesn't mean it's a bad thing to play safe and keep the ball :)

I get that there’s a balance to be struck Stan, it’s just that I think that the decision making falls too far on the safe option at the moment :thumbup: 

4 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

I get that there’s a balance to be struck Stan, it’s just that I think that the decision making falls too far on the safe option at the moment :thumbup: 

agreed. 

It's quite clearly an instruction to be less risky and it's not secret Puel is a possession-based tactician. Given how last week went I don't blame that tactic to be honest. 

You look at the age of most of our players and the experience amongst a lot of our attackers. Then you start to understand why they are so inconsistent how they play. We play in spells. It’s not really a surprise. 

The doom merchants about relegation - have some confidence in this team, we should always have enough in this squad to see off the lower 15th to 20th bunch at home. 

1 hour ago, Ted Maul said:

Loved the Huddersfield fans whinging about our time wasting near the end. 

Be interesting to know if there would have only been 3 minutes if we were still chasing a winner.

I'm convinced they alter it depending on the score. If it had been 1-1 there would've been at least 5 minutes (as there should've been anyway given the delays and subs) but because we had the game won they reduced it.

• Like 1

The biggest frustration for me was the sloppy start to the game. Again! We've gone behind in every single PL game this season bar Wolves who gifted us an OG against the run of play. That's not good enough and needs to change. We can't keep going behind and winning games from losing positions. Better quality opposition than the likes of Southampton and Huddersfield will punish us. That's not necessarily the manager's fault (e.g. defensive errors and missed chances) but we don't attack the games from the first whistle like we used too. 

That being said, I thought we played well yesterday overall and not sure on a lot of the criticism of Puel heard around me in the ground and in the post-match reaction. Vardy looked dangerous and sharp, Iheanacho came in and delivered a good performance and I thought Maddison, Mendy and Chilwell played extremely well. The Evans-Maguire partnership looked to be stronger too. The early Huddersfield goal was a sucker punch but after a relatively quick equaliser it always looked like we would go on to win.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ted Maul said:

Be interesting to know if there would have only been 3 minutes if we were still chasing a winner.

Haha yep. They were at it right from the start pretty much. Could tell what their tactics were. They were livid when Maguire went down, as if they'd not taken the piss with their goal-kicks and throw-ins lol 

• Like 1

For me games like yesterday's just underline how many teams in this league are playing for a point most of the time they are away from home.

As soon as they took the lead Huddersfield just sat so deep, hoping to absorb pressure for 84 minutes.

It's lunacy really because they were definitely in the game and if they managed to go 2-0 up would probably got something from the game.

Anyway - second half performance was good, but we badly need to stop going behind early/conceding soft goals...

3 hours ago, StanSP said:

not sure that's entirely correct.

The first came about from their attacking position but the main thing to point out is they left no-one on the half-way line as defensive cover. That's absolutely criminal against us and it wasn't the first time they'd done it when Iheanacho scored. I can't remember any team defending against us like that and not leaving any protection. They were asking to be countered. 

The third goal however was more in line with what you say though. In a tight position and Vardy was found well by Iheanacho with tons of space to run in to.

Apparently Puel used to counter attack like our third goal at Nice.

It seems to be Puel's preferred type of counter attack.

Hopefully we can continue to play like this.

Nice to get the win.

After the slow start (what's new?) we rolled up up the sleeves and were the better side by a mile for 75 minutes or so.

We attacked with more intent this time although we wont meet many teams as limited as Huddersfield. Mads, Vardy and Nachoman linked up well yesterday and Mendy put in another solid display. Evans is hardly Sergio Ramos but we look a lot more solid with him starting than Morgan. Bournemouth was hopefully the straw that broke the camels back wrt Wes but I'd have my doubts. A stable defence would go a long way to sorting things out. Soyuncu and Benkovic could be options in January so use them a bit more.Amartey had a good show but he is a bit like reckless in the challenge like Benny but he was good before his injury in February so worth another go.

Ghezzal was a bit disappointing but he's still had a good enough start overall. Rotation with Albrighton and Gray the way to go. N'Didi has been off the boil too. Wouldn't mind giving the lad a break (or drop him!) and get a Silva or Iborra in there next week. 

All in all its pleasing we got the 3 points but no more than you would expect. At least with Huddersfield and Cardiff you get the impression we will be free of a relegation scrap but the onus is still on Claude to get the max out of the squad. We got glimpses of what could be yesterday. Now we have to find some consistency.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

I dont really understand this debate.

As you improve the squad you will naturally have more possession.

Therefore the manager needs to encourage the team to be more effective in possession

Learning to be better on the ball as a team is something we need to do by necessity

Someone has already mentioned how devastating on the counter attack Man City are. Possession and counter attacking ability are not mutually exclusive. 

I guess it’s about learning what is right and when. When to keep passing and when to spring a counterattack. You can even win the league with crap possession stats you know. 

Pity it took Puel so long to work out that Vardy on his own wasn't going to be enough.Six games in and Nacho did really well to give much more to our attack.

Nice to see Mahrez and KNocky having good games yesterday ,Knocky looks a bit quicker/stronger/wiser these days .Good luck to them both.

1 minute ago, dynamark said:

Pity it took Puel so long to work out that Vardy on his own wasn't going to be enough.Six games in and Nacho did really well to give much more to our attack.

Nice to see Mahrez and KNocky having good games yesterday ,Knocky looks a bit quicker/stronger/wiser these days .Good luck to them both.

It really didn't take that long - he was sub first match, sent off 2nd and then missed 3.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Ted Maul said:

They must know they are going to struggle to avoid the drop, singing, How shit must you be when they went one up, still, least Cardiff will prop them uplol

I'm left wondering if this line up, the Morgan suspension excepted, is one Puel will carry on with or whether it was a horses for courses approach, confident to play Nacho as our opponents were likely to be sitting back but then in contrast the change at RB to make us more defensively sound perhaps balances that off and help to enable it. Was Ricardo dropped due to the Bournemouth performance and will he continue to be left out? Maddison was incredibley impressive again, occupying a different role but able to link even more with Chilwell, they show a real chemistry and understanding. 

There were still moments at 0-1 where the tempo needed picking up but importantly heads didn't go down after the opener and after the third we saw some  enhanced confidence and belief. The important thing is to not get a silly result in a game like this, hopefully some of our near rivals will slip up and only draw such a game, if we learnt something about ourselves to take onwards as well then that's a bonus but it's looking like maybe we did.