Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Huddersfield H post match thread 3-1

37 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

At least we found a way of getting Vardy involved. Considering when we signed Iheanacho everyone said he was just a finisher and didn’t have much else to his game I thought he linked the midfield and attack nicely. Huddersfield did play into our hands tbf by leaving us space in behind but it was positive to see our attackers linking nonetheless 

That was the biggest positive for me. Vardy, Iheanacho and Maddison all have to be starting. That means that we definitely have to be bringing another striker in come January. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nwl fox said:

People moaning about us playing tippy tappy stuff and suggesting we should just stick to the counter attack. Did you not see how many players they put behind the ball after they went one up??? The only reason we were able to score two quick counters was because we'd spent the rest of the time playing the tippy tappy stuff trying to draw them out. Its a great tool to have in our locker but it can no longer be our default tactic, we got sussed out on that 2 years ago!

not sure that's entirely correct.

The first came about from their attacking position but the main thing to point out is they left no-one on the half-way line as defensive cover. That's absolutely criminal against us and it wasn't the first time they'd done it when Iheanacho scored. I can't remember any team defending against us like that and not leaving any protection. They were asking to be countered. 

The third goal however was more in line with what you say though. In a tight position and Vardy was found well by Iheanacho with tons of space to run in to.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, murphy said:

I've ran out of reps, but this is spot on.  I agree that Wilf's defensive attributes are taken for granted and an 89% pass completion is pretty good.  And he's only 21!  We would miss him if he wasn't there.

I keep reading that Wilf and Mendy are too similar but really their job is also similiar.  They are there to win the ball, cover the defence and supply the front three.  It would be nice if they had a bit of Pirlo about them too, but they are both holding midfielders.  The creativity should come from the front three behind Vardy.

I think whats happening is that Wilfs been asked to play a slightly different role to what we've seen before. I think Puel has told him he needs to sit and hold more in this formation so we're seeing a less dynamic performance than we may have seen from him previously and taking it as just a dip in performance...

• Like 1

I agree that at times we do move the ball too slowly but even recently we'd have resorted to just aimlessly playing the ball in, hoping for a lucky bounce. Now we are still trying to work positions and the get the ball in across goal, pull it back to players running in etc. They didn't lose their composure which was important although if we'd reached 80 mins at 1-1 it could've been different.

8 minutes ago, StanSP said:

not sure that's entirely correct.

The first came about from their attacking position but the main thing to point out is they left no-one on the half-way line as defensive cover. That's absolutely criminal against us and it wasn't the first time they'd done it when Iheanacho scored. I can't remember any team defending against us like that and not leaving any protection. They were asking to be countered. 

The third goal however was more in line with what you say though. In a tight position and Vardy was found well by Iheanacho with tons of space to run in to.

What i'm suggesting @StanSP is that they possibly wouldnt have been so brave in their positioning for that if we'd been employing the quick counters as our main tactic prior to that point, they'd have been more likely to anticipate that danger. I agree though it was absolutely criminal on their part to be so open to it irrespective of what tactics we were using.

17 hours ago, Farrington fox said:

I said before the game, nothing less than a win was acceptable, and so it was. Comfortable  in the end, but lets not forget, Hudders were doggo. 

The defence is still a worry for me. Will Morgan come straight back in,  will Claude stick with today’s pairing. Or should Soyunco be give a chance against Wolves on Tues?

Yes,Yes,Yes.

29 minutes ago, nwl fox said:

People moaning about us playing tippy tappy stuff and suggesting we should just stick to the counter attack. Did you not see how many players they put behind the ball after they went one up??? The only reason we were able to score two quick counters was because we'd spent the rest of the time playing the tippy tappy stuff trying to draw them out. Its a great tool to have in our locker but it can no longer be our default tactic, we got sussed out on that 2 years ago!

It  could also be interpreted that we are so slow to attack that the opposition have all the time in the world to position themselves.

It does have to be mixed but we do play side ways back ways tippy tappy for the sake of it much of the time.

Hardly edge of your seat stuff

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bunyip said:

Yes, but look at the qualiteeeeee of the opposition. I'll be happier when we do it to a much better side. I just don't think we can get to over the moon with this particular result.

I understand what you're saying but We've beaten everyone we are expected to beat so far this season. There are people criticising the manager because we've beaten them and not beaten sides we shouldn't have beaten but very nearly did.

For instance there is no-one in Europe except us who have played well against Liverpool this season.

1 hour ago, Markyblue said:

We have a strange tendency to rubbish anybody who we beat, these drew at Everton and should have got at least a point against palace, who realistically are the sort of teams we should be battling for europa places.

To be fair they were rubbish and in all probability will get relegated, but I take your point.

Just now, FIF said:

I understand what you're saying but We've beaten everyone we are expected to beat so far this season. There are people criticising the manager because we've beaten them and not beaten sides we shouldn't have beaten but very nearly did.

For instance there is no-one in Europe except us who have played well against Liverpool this season.

Yes you are right FIF. I'll admit I was a bit negative. Let's hope it continues from here.

5 minutes ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

It  could also be interpreted that we are so slow to attack that the opposition have all the time in the world to position themselves.

It does have to be mixed but we do play side ways back ways tippy tappy for the sake of it much of the time.

I agree. A lot of the sideways and back Tippy Tappy is completely unnecessary especial in your own half. That certainly did not Draw Huddersfield out yesterday all it did was give them plenty of time to sit back and organise. Tellingly we got our first goal from not doing the tippy tappy stuff and went straight at them. Granted they made a huge mistake of having all their players in our half but I did show that sometimes possession is not the be all and end all and that there times in the game when you can just go for it. 

25 minutes ago, StanSP said:

i preferred the mis-control and giving the ball out for a throw-in right in front of Puel about 20 seconds later :P 

I think he was expecting the full back to go straight through him as consequence of the showboating 

17 minutes ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

if they refuse to come  out then just launching it down a channel isn’t going to be much of an option ...... eventually they are drawn forward and then you get your overloads or players free between the lines -  it frustrates me to see mendy going deep to get it from the centre halves - they are capable of finding him with a pass beyond the centre forward pressing 

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

I think he was expecting the full back to go straight through him as consequence of the showboating 

if they refuse to come  out then just launching it down a channel isn’t going to be much of an option ...... eventually they are drawn forward and then you get your overloads or players free between the lines -  it frustrates me to see mendy going deep to get it from the centre halves - they are capable of finding him with a pass beyond the centre forward pressing 

I think he got a little bit of cramp as not long after he went down and needed physio on.

People seem to think Puel is against counter attacking football when I don’t think he is. He often has 4 attackers on the pitch and they try to nick the ball high up the pitch and counter, at bournemouth we did this really well first half. 

Puel wants us to be patient and move the ball when we are building attacks, rather than pumping it into the channel every time, problem is we still don’t look comfortable doing this and look like we could lose the ball at any time. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I love the counter attack, as most of us do, but it involves needing 1) an opposition that sets up to make it possible and 2) ceding a lot of possession, and nicking the ball at the right time. It's actually sub-optimal/high risk, we just happened to have all the necessary players and circumstances 3 seasons ago...

sadly some don't realise this and think that we can play now like we did back then. But then we'd get repeats of Bournemouth last week more often. We don't have the same personnel now to make it as effective as it was and teams are set up differently. 

• Like 1

Why do we start so slow.  We dealt with the game once we equalised but it seems we need to go a goal down to focus.  Frustrating - mate who is a WBA season ticket holder is raving about Harvey Barnes.  I’d love to get him and Hamza get some game time.

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

It felt like we were trying to do that too often though. A mixture of the two would be nice. Far too often the front three were within about 10m of each other and we are trying to thread balls into them when surrounded by double the amount of oppo players and we'd just lose the ball. You need the width to stretch them to make those passes easier.

Biggest concern for me was the fact we don't have a CM who can dictate a game or who takes responsibility. They just get it and lay it off for someone else to do the hard work and that's a worry. Neither of them are prodding or probing them with passes, creating chances or controlling the centre of the park.

One of the many advantages of three at the back is it gives us width and means we don’t need a double pivot in the middle. Ideally Silva could play with either Mendy or Ndidi and dictate the play assuming he is the player we thought we signed and not the player we have seen struggle.

• Like 1

Decent performance but would still like to see the players be a little bit braver with their decision making. Too often there is a pass on which might get intercepted but could create a real opening. Too often this is turned down in favour of the backwards/sideways  option. Sometimes I wonder if some of the players are doing this just to improve their own passing statistics. 

4 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Decent performance but would still like to see the players be a little bit braver with their decision making. Too often there is a pass on which might get intercepted but could create a real opening. Too often this is turned down in favour of the backwards/sideways  option. Sometimes I wonder if some of the players are doing this just to improve their own passing statistics. 

or it's to keep possession and not let the opposition have any control with the ball?

I'll agree with the option of perhaps making a riskier pass but if not made, it doesn't mean it's a bad thing to play safe and keep the ball :)

• Like 1