Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
H.a.r.r.y

Support + atmosphere

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

There's a point when it goes beyond moaning and becomes downright annoying. Think 60's, think catchy.

SK1 must sing 20/30 different songs a game stretching from the 60s to the present day? Not sure what more you want them to do?

If people want to join in, they do, if they don't, they won't.

Guest Markyblue

The ground expansion will be pivotal to atmosphere.  The perfect opportunity for club and fans groups to sort out an area for those who want to sing, otherwise it will never happen. 

Ok, rather than a moan what would be a quick fix?

New songs or regurgitated old ones? I would suggest think simple, think catchy, think what would proliferate through the ground.

It has to be something that a chap sat next to his 8 year old daughter is comfortable singing. It has to be something that an elderly bloke who doesn’t want to sing about a bloke’s manhood is happy with. It has to be something that the casual fan can pick up the words to rather than wondering what everyone is singing. 

As someone said the: “we love ya .... woo-aahhh” song was nicked, but it worked. The new Çaglar song works. “Jamie Vardy’s having a party” or “scores when he wants” works. Maybe dust the old Ben Marshall song down for a present player.

Its not songs that I necessarily like or ones that are necessarily good, but ones that will generate atmosphere. Then the others will come. It’s a similar argument with clap banners. Some people think they’re awful, but they generated noise and served a purpose when we needed something during the great escape. It starts with generating noise and the momentum builds. 

Edited by Jobyfox
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Is that the one with a swear word at the end of it? I'm not prude and I'll sing anything, but if people are after crowd participation songs with "****", "****ing", "cock", "chat shit, get banged", "vodka and charlie" isn't really the way forward for that.

Whilst they your "ultra" wannabe types might like 5 minutes songs with 100 words, the reality is the most successful "songs" of recent times have probably had about 5 words in, or none at all. 

Wasn't long ago we had scarf twirling "oh oh oh oh woah" stuff going round the ground as loud as anything. Stolen yeah, winning awards, nah... got everyone going... yes. 

Der Der Der Der Der Der Ben Chillwell.

I've mentioned this before, and it's probably a team tactic as its gone on all season now but for corners James Maddison walks so slow to take them, it's can be over a minute to walk over and then take the actual corner. This doesn't exactly help encourage the crowd, corners can encourage noise but by the time it's took its quiet due to the wait.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

I've mentioned this before, and it's probably a team tactic as its gone on all season now but for corners James Maddison walks so slow to take them, it can be over a minute to walk over and then take the actual corner. This doesn't exactly help encourage the crowd, corners can encourage noise but by the time it's took its quiet due to the wait.

Has anything ever come from a Maddison corner? 

I stand to be corrected  but I can't remember us scoring from one but that's a different thread on it's own.

4 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

I've mentioned this before, and it's probably a team tactic as its gone on all season now but for corners James Maddison walks so slow to take them, it's can be over a minute to walk over and then take the actual corner. This doesn't exactly help encourage the crowd, corners can encourage noise but by the time it's took its quiet due to the wait.

Start whistling the laural and hardy theme then, he might get a lick on.

11 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Do try reading, that's not what I said at all. I'm talking about simplicity, few words, up tempo and it catches on, I didn't even say I liked that song. But if people are banging on about participation, then look at the songs and focus on simplicity as it works. Coming from SK1 there is far too many lyrically complex songs that just drone on, and people wonder why they don't catch on. 

There is no point throwing it back at a 40 / 50 year old and saying, well you do better. It's on the younger lads now, fair play that Union FS give it a shot and I know it's not easy. But I'm trying to be constructive with you. I'm someone who will get involved but if I'm singing two words out of 20 and mumbling the rest then there are issues with the song. 

OK fair enough, but when you used phrases like "the most successful songs" and "got everyone going" in the context of your post it was reasonable to presume you liked it to an extent. Ironically the "ultra" style songs were much more prominent pre UFS when we did We Love You, the one for Ben Marshall etc. If they were done now people would have a field day slating it. 

It is funny though how the songs are only the issue when the atmosphere is shit. Some of the songs are lyric heavy yes, but that doesn't explain why "come on Leicester" and "Leicester Leicester Leicester" etc are so half arsed most of the time. Even Vichai's song is a slog to get going now and I guarantee everyone knows the words to that. 

5 minutes ago, escape2victory said:

Palace away.....Soyuncu 👌

3 minutes ago, Manini said:

Chelsea away, N’didi? 

Cheers,

Asked the question around me last night and others were saying his corners leave a lot to be desired.

Back to original post and subject.....

41 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

I’ve been supporting Leicester since the mid-eighties when I stood in pen 3 at Filbert Street. I shouted, sung and jumped about with the best of them. I probably now sit in the equivalent position in the King Power stadium.

As I walk to my seat I notice the demographic has completely changed since those pen 3 days. More female fans, more older fans, more ethnically diverse. I myself and now one of those middle-aged fans.

I’ve found it does change as you get older. I think it’s something to do with having kids and are less comfortable with singing about people’s manhoods or songs containing expletives like the wonderfully insightful: “you’re effing sh*t!” song. But generally I’m a lot less full of raging testosterone and am far less vocal.

To solve it you need to move people like me away and create an area where singing and shouting proliferates all over and is less sporadic. I could move myself, but it would be a unilateral gesture, I’d pay more for my season ticket and I’d leave a lot of older, far less vocal people than me, in place.

I reckon it would be solved overnight by a safe standing area as you’d get all the more vocal fans to come together in one area as you did in the old Filbert Street days. Even then you had pen 4 for all the fans who wanted the atmosphere, but went for a less rowdy experience where they weren’t carried forward 10 rows when we scored.

However it’s achieved you need to create this area. It won’t happen by itself and you won’t suddenly persuade a few thousand people to move. There has to be some incentive. 

This is simply the correct answer.

Anyone that's been to a concert in a large arena knows that the standing areas exist so those that want to sing, shout, jump and have the most viceral experience can self select to all be together and experience the atmosphere they're looking for while allowing those that for one reason or another would prefer to sit and generally have a bit more of a comfortable experience can choose the seated area. Those sitting can still sing along and enjoy themselves if they want but the current system in football where everyone must be seated just frustrates both groups.

Those who want to sit in relative comfort get annoyed by the "wannabe ultras" standing and singing crude songs and the ones who want to create atmosphere get annoyed by old boys sitting in silence for most of the game.

Safe standing won't immediately improve atmoshere by itself but it allows those who want to sing and shout a place to do it.

Edited by squarez
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, ElusiveEd said:

Always liked the Leonardo Ulloa song.

Think that came from someone on here?

Yeah I think it did. That was an absolute pearler of a chant, totally unique to us. When you really go for something new and make it work, that's what you look back and remember. No one will remember a Sloop John B tune 5 years down the line. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Is that the one with a swear word at the end of it? I'm not prude and I'll sing anything, but if people are after crowd participation songs with "****", "****ing", "cock", "chat shit, get banged", "vodka and charlie" isn't really the way forward for that.

Whilst they your "ultra" wannabe types might like 5 minutes songs with 100 words, the reality is the most successful "songs" of recent times have probably had about 5 words in, or none at all. 

Wasn't long ago we had scarf twirling "oh oh oh oh woah" stuff going round the ground as loud as anything. Stolen yeah, winning awards, nah... got everyone going... yes.

The Starman one

Must be a bit of a shock to BR as well coming from perhaps the most atmospheric grounds in the UK to one of the least atmospheric.

I don't know how things will get better without the club actively helping.

The only way would to dedicate an end to like minded fans like other clubs have done, but I think whilst everything is going well on the pitch the club won't be thinking about the atmosphere and how to improve it.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

OK fair enough, but when you used phrases like "the most successful songs" and "got everyone going" in the context of your post it was reasonable to presume you liked it to an extent. Ironically the "ultra" style songs were much more prominent pre UFS when we did We Love You, the one for Ben Marshall etc. If they were done now people would have a field day slating it. 

It is funny though how the songs are only the issue when the atmosphere is shit. Some of the songs are lyric heavy yes, but that doesn't explain why "come on Leicester" and "Leicester Leicester Leicester" etc are so half arsed most of the time. Even Vichai's song is a slog to get going now and I guarantee everyone knows the words to that. 

Can you choose another colour, it's like trying to read a redacted document :D

I know Man Utd have won much more than any club but their song book is great, catchy and well participated - becuase the songs are actually good. 

Can you imagine 5,000 people getting involved in the Ricardo song? No, becuase its f***ing dross. 

Newcastle Loud, Leeds Loud - both with decent songs. The will have their fair share of soup eaters and over 65's too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommy G said:

I know Man Utd have won much more than any club but their song book is great, catchy and well participated - becuase the songs are actually good. 

Can you imagine 5,000 people getting involved in the Ricardo song? No, becuase its f***ing dross. 

Newcastle Loud, Leeds Loud - both with decent songs. The will have their fair share of soup eaters and over 65's too. 

So you don't like songs which are too complex, but rate Man United's support? They come up with the wordiest chants in the league. lol

• Like 3
  • Haha 1