Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
H.a.r.r.y

Support + atmosphere

Week night, so not many had enjoyed a few beers before the game; freezing cold night, always seems to affect atmosphere for some reason; tiny away following and a frustrating game where we had to be patient. A lot of variables contribute to it, wasn't great but do think it is unrealistic to think every game there is going to be a cauldron of noise

• Like 1

So many bad songs, too complex and not catchy. Maddison one is woeful and its mumbled by 20 people who's voices are still breaking its painful. 

Still singing about friggin dilly ding dilly dong. 

Bring back ''get into 'um **** 'um up'' at least everyone knew the words ffs.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, MonkeyTennis? said:

I don't disagree that it was particularly quiet last night - although that big group of kids right on the away edge of the family stand were going for it and put everyone else to shame - but I guess its a midweek game and it was a bit flat in the first half. That said, I was sat much closer to the UFS corner than I usually am, and it was good to hear some new songs that I will take back to the family stand for the Norwich game. (Starman -Youri; the new Cags chant; 'Aint nobody - Hamza Choudhury, etc). Sitting where I was, it wasn't awful.

What was very obvious was that that everyone immediately around me was totally silent (in H/G sort of area, mostly middle aged blokes) - not singing at all, but also not really into it or calling out. It was a lot quieter than the family stand usually is. 

Was going to say this myself. Fair play to that group of kids. Put everyone else to shame. If only the rest of our support was that animated. 

Also credit to whoever came up with the video played on the big screen just before kick off that ends with the fox eyes appearing and the big thud. Does anyone know where I can find that? 

6 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

The Vichai song is a great sentiment, but it sounds awfully twee to me. 

Plus it makes no sense musically, but I digress... 

Love that we've a song for him, but I've said it before that I'm not a fan of the phrase "champions of England, you made us sing that." Just seems off to me. Makes him sound like a dictator.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Difference is previously there was an unreserved kop which lads could get on and immediately congregate with others that wanted to sing, and people that didn't want to stand and sing anymore for whatever reason migrated out into the seats. 

Now we have no such area, the L1 boys struggle to expand as they're in one of the most expensive areas of the ground, and UFS have to fight tooth and nail for every seat they can in SK1. People won't move to make room for a standing/singing area, even if the club have the balls to do it. 

It's a perfect storm of shit to be honest, the club have been pushing the "family first" kind of experience for at least a decade, and made no attempt to facilitate a proper area for the most vocal fans. Clappers are still just bashed mindlessly, I watched one of the Vlogs from the East stand from a game earlier in the season and the bloody thing are just bashed in unison with zero attempt to join in with the song. I can't put into words how much I hate them. A lot of people I know packed it in after we won the league as they knew it would never get any better and now we're flying and people expect us to batter teams every week and are bored if we don't. 

It's a pretty sorry state of affairs to be honest and I can't see things changing anytime soon, the football can't possibly get any better and the attitudes won't change overnight. The ground expansion is a massive chance for the club to put their money where their mouth is and reconfigure the ground somewhat to provide a proper vocal area that the rest of the ground can latch onto.

Agree with this.It's as though the club looked at the old Double Decker at Filbert St and made a decision for the future to encourage the people in the upper tier (older, quieter, better-off) and discourage those below (younger, noisier, rowdier). To a large extent, this has been achieved and we're living with the consequences.

Changes in society - more regulated, money-driven and controlled - are partly responsible, but the club seems determined to push this 'safe' agenda to the detriment of the atmosphere. After all, other clubs have managed to maintain a bit of an edge.

That's why I hold out little hope for the ground extension. If they wanted to improve it, there'd be a large area where you don't need a ticket in advance, where admission prices were kept low and you could maybe stand (though that's a slightly separate issue) - but we all know it ain't gonna happen.

There's a massive demographic of younger, more diverse more casual fans who'd love the chance to go and watch Premier League football with their friends and who'd certainly improve the atmosphere. At the moment they feel it's not for them, and the club, despite making all the appropriate right-on noises do basically nothing to address this.

But take heart. The blue-rinse army can't last forever...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Has it gone completely? I thought they just had a club bod on it instead of Jobber. 

i only heard them 2 or 3 times max making any sort of noise. the guy on the drum obviously doesn't get it going like jobber did, changes are needed drastically if we want to push the lads on to finish high this season. the term 12th man does make the difference at the latter stages of the match when the players need that little extra. 

5 hours ago, ElusiveEd said:

Looking around last night there appears to be a lot of middle aged to older and elderly fans than I've realised before.

I don't think that demographic tends to get involved in the singing and chanting as much as younger fans in their teens, twenties and thirties. There is the occasional use of the clap bangers but other than that they seem to be there to just watch their team play a game of football.

What I do notice are many are quick to moan and criticise when a player ****s up or play breaks down (Sometimes it feels they can't wait for it to happen so they can have a moan and slag the player down but are rarely heard to applaud great play) but they certainly don't/didn't get involved in songs or chants.

Whilst I think you're right regarding the demographics and the 'older' supporters not singing, however, like the leave early argument, it's absolutely up to the individual, though with the latter, I totally agree with the argument that if you're going to go just go, don't stand blocking people's views it's just plain selfish. 

With regards to singing I do it rarely, it's not my thing nowadays possibly it's because I fall into the older bracket. I do however clap, cheer and shout encouragement. Am I any less a supporter because of it? Not at all in my point of view as I've been handing my money over since the 60s. Then, as now, there are many younger elements that are five minute wonders ie they may wonder off when they consider that they want to spend their money on other priorities. Nothing wrong in that either as earnings, priorities and family circumstances change.

Of course we did used to have the opportunity to turn up and get a ticket on the gate whereas now in reality you by and large need a season ticket which, as well as expensive are hard to get. But whatever age, most of those that have them have still got them from when times were not so good, it took some dedication to watch some of that dross I can tell you 🤣

You just have to accept that those of 60/70 years of age perhaps are unlikely to stand up and sing about Soyuncu's cock (though I can't help laughing everytime I hear it 🤣🤣) and my back is such I can't stand up without walking about for too long either, believe me, you're going to cop for it one day too! Should after years of support, not be allowed in unless you stand up all game and sing cock songs? 🤣🤣🤣

I shout and clap and do my best but perhaps a bit of humour and tolerance for each other is required, we're all blue. However,  keep singing. Baring in mind his command of the English language, I wonder what the look on Caglars face was like when he asked one of his mates what it was the crowd was singing about him. Personally I'd take that song every day of the week 😁

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Think people are over thinking the situation. We don't need to build a new stand, reorganise our support, or write a whole new song book. People simply just need to get involved. Wasn't that long ago that we we're heralded as having the best atmosphere in the country. Don't know what has caused the change but I guarantee that virtually everyone in the stadium now was there when it was great so it's just a case of rediscovering what we had before. 

I’ve posted in here before but it’s worth repeating, I’m a ST holder in SK1 and have been for many years. I sit a bit further down from UFS and, aside from a few lads singing the wrong words to songs in the row behind, no one sings. I sing, my 16 year old daughter sings but that’s it in our bit. There’s a massive gap of silence the rows in front of us and the rows behind us up to UFS, it’s embarrassing. Last night was the pits as was Sunday. I remember what SK1 was like at Filbert Street and I die a little inside. 

Oh yeah, if I was James Maddison I’d be really disappointed with his song. It’s dirgy and boring. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Ahh yes blame the songs. 

Come up with a better Maddison song then chaps and get it going if you think the one being tried is no good.  

And there is the usual response... perhaps listen to criticism and take it on board as to why people find it hard to join in. I don't have a little band of cronies with a drum in my corner to get songs to stick, but if I did I wouldn't be singing about players cocks FFS. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

And there is the usual response... perhaps listen to criticism and take it on board as to why people find it hard to join in. I don't have a little band of cronies with a drum in my corner to get songs to stick, but if I did I wouldn't be singing about players cocks FFS. 

Wasn't there last night, but haven't heard that one sung for ages. SK1 always get the Kingston Town one for Soyuncu going.

5 minutes ago, Babylon said:

The Maddison song was a suggestion from here that was pretty well received and then tried. Doesn't take much to stick in suggestion rather than just saying "do better". 

SK1 very rarely sing about Caglar's dick, the Kingston town one for him was done instead as a response to that pile of shite. 

I’ve been supporting Leicester since the mid-eighties when I stood in pen 3 at Filbert Street. I shouted, sung and jumped about with the best of them. I probably now sit in the equivalent position in the King Power stadium.

As I walk to my seat I notice the demographic has completely changed since those pen 3 days. More female fans, more older fans, more ethnically diverse. I myself and now one of those middle-aged fans.

I’ve found it does change as you get older. I think it’s something to do with having kids and are less comfortable with singing about people’s manhoods or songs containing expletives like the wonderfully insightful: “you’re effing sh*t!” song. But generally I’m a lot less full of raging testosterone and am far less vocal.

To solve it you need to move people like me away and create an area where singing and shouting proliferates all over and is less sporadic. I could move myself, but it would be a unilateral gesture, I’d pay more for my season ticket and I’d leave a lot of older, far less vocal people than me, in place.

I reckon it would be solved overnight by a safe standing area as you’d get all the more vocal fans to come together in one area as you did in the old Filbert Street days. Even then you had pen 4 for all the fans who wanted the atmosphere, but went for a less rowdy experience where they weren’t carried forward 10 rows when we scored.

However it’s achieved you need to create this area. It won’t happen by itself and you won’t suddenly persuade a few thousand people to move. There has to be some incentive. 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

There's plenty of very good songs that barely get joined in on, I think there's virtually nothing wrong with the Tielemans one for example.

Is that the one with a swear word at the end of it? I'm not prude and I'll sing anything, but if people are after crowd participation songs with "****", "****ing", "cock", "chat shit, get banged", "vodka and charlie" isn't really the way forward for that.

Whilst they your "ultra" wannabe types might like 5 minutes songs with 100 words, the reality is the most successful "songs" of recent times have probably had about 5 words in, or none at all. 

Wasn't long ago we had scarf twirling "oh oh oh oh woah" stuff going round the ground as loud as anything. Stolen yeah, winning awards, nah... got everyone going... yes. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Wasn't there last night, but haven't heard that one sung for ages. SK1 always get the Kingston Town one for Soyuncu going.

I hear the cock one coming more from SK4 area, the other one works and has far more join in. So we might as well just dispense with the other one. 

56 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

What more would you like L1 and SK1 to do out of interest? I'd be genuinely interested to hear your suggestions of how to improve things, rather than just moaning at them for trying. 

There's a point when it goes beyond moaning and becomes downright annoying. Think 60's, think catchy.

7 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Whilst they your "ultra" wannabe types might like 5 minutes songs with 100 words, the reality is the most successful "songs" of recent times have probably had about 5 words in, or none at all. 

Wasn't long ago we had scarf twirling "oh oh oh oh woah" stuff going round the ground as loud as anything. Stolen yeah, winning awards, nah... got everyone going... yes. 

So to confirm, you don't like the European "ultra" style songs, but you liked We Love You? 

I try not to think too much about how awful and entitled a large % of our fan base is because it just makes me angry. Last night the ‘atmosphere’ was absolutely horrendous but I can’t say I’m surprised. It was completely silent where I was sat for most of the game and if anyone tried to make any noise he’d just get dirty looks or a few people laughing. Half our fan base didn’t get the jokey and fairly amusing songs Watford fans were singing, referencing Knockaerts dive etc so I think that tells you all you need to know about. Almost felt guilty shouting or singing last night.

8 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

So to confirm, you don't like the European "ultra" style songs, but you liked We Love You? 

Do try reading, that's not what I said at all. I'm talking about simplicity, few words, up tempo and it catches on, I didn't even say I liked that song. But if people are banging on about participation, then look at the songs and focus on simplicity as it works. Coming from SK1 there is far too many lyrically complex songs that just drone on, and people wonder why they don't catch on. 

There is no point throwing it back at a 40 / 50 year old and saying, well you do better. It's on the younger lads now, fair play that Union FS give it a shot and I know it's not easy. But I'm trying to be constructive with you. I'm someone who will get involved but if I'm singing two words out of 20 and mumbling the rest then there are issues with the song. 

Edited by Babylon
  • Like 4