Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
H.a.r.r.y

Support + atmosphere

18 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

Walking away from the ground last night I was struck by the crowd on the streets around me. 

Quiet, self-contained, many occupied with phones etc. Median age a good 10 - 20 years older than it was pre-Premier League era. If anything, it made me think of a Tigers' crowd.

Nothing necessarily wrong with that, and it was a cold night so I wasn't expecting Mardi Gras in Rio, but football's modern top-flight structure has pretty much done for its universal accessibility and identification.

The PL made a trade, and we're seeing the consequences. Shame it's coinciding with such a great period for the team.

Forever increasing ticket prices mean the crowd will skew more and more toward the older and more financially comfortable at the expense of the young - no wonder it reminds you of a Tigers' crowd.

In a world where matchday ticket revenues are an increasingly small percentage of PL teams' income compared to tv deals, sponsorships and the like* something should be done to arrest this trend in my opinion. Obviously the clubs will never do anything about this, the ideology of free market capitalism teaches that marginally more profit is *always* preferable and so as long as the KP sells out, ticket prices will rise or at best remain stagnant.

*LCFC's most recently posted financial results from 2017/18 showed an income of £158.9m (down from £233m when we were in the Champion's League), with gate receipts making up only £12.8m of that figure.

• Like 3

Guest Markyblue
17 hours ago, squarez said:

Forever increasing ticket prices mean the crowd will skew more and more toward the older and more financially comfortable at the expense of the young - no wonder it reminds you of a Tigers' crowd.

In a world where matchday ticket revenues are an increasingly small percentage of PL teams' income compared to tv deals, sponsorships and the like* something should be done to arrest this trend in my opinion. Obviously the clubs will never do anything about this, the ideology of free market capitalism teaches that marginally more profit is *always* preferable and so as long as the KP sells out, ticket prices will rise or at best remain stagnant.

*LCFC's most recently posted financial results from 2017/18 showed an income of £158.9m (down from £233m when we were in the Champion's League), with gate receipts making up only £12.8m of that figure.

Hold on a minute,  my season ticket if i remember correctly is still the same price as i paid when we got promoted.  In that time we have won the frigging league,  the club does plenty right and yes makes mistakes but lets be fair.

Going off on a slight tangent for a moment ...

I'll tell you another reason why atmospheres aren't as good as in the "good old days" ... apart from all the usual reasons (all seater stadia etc).

It's also due to modern tippy-tappy non-contact football.   In the good old days, of crunching tackles and direct hoof the ball down the pitch, bang it in from wingers to a big forward ... it may have been lacking a bit of quality and finesse, but it got the crowd going more.   "crash bang wallop" football may not be good for the football purists, but it gets it was better for the atmosphere - rather than lots of neat, pretty triangles.  (which you end up sitting back in your seat and admiring, rather than jumping up and yelling at the ref to send off that dirty b'stard!)

The perfect example ... last week's London derby between 2 fiesty local rivals Chelsea and West Ham.  By all accounts, Cheslea didn't commit a single foul in the game.   NOT ONE SINGLE FOUL.   Now I realise, that is good in one respect ... nice clean football .... but in a local derby???   ffs

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Yeah to add to worth_the_wait, the last 2 games we actually haven't been really on it, against Everton and Watford it was hard work till the goal, we didn't get a shedload of chances early doors against Watford, we were just a bit flatter in both games and after 15-20 mins if the games settles down to Cags to Evans, Evans to Cags that translates to the fans.

Lets see what we have on the 26th IF we can beat Villa and Norwich and getting something at the Etihad or Liverpool are closer than 8.

Luckily I can get to some away games, that makes up for it on the atmosphere front, Palace was good and Brighton OK too, especially when we got the retaken penalty.

We have this pattern now it seems keep it tight 1st half, score 2nd, normally two.  Its like the title winning run when we won 4 or 5 games in a row in Feb/March 1-0, this time putting it to bed with a 2nd, though many of the 2nds are late.

Think the fans know its a stretch to bridge the gap to Liverpool currently I think if it was closer maybe 3-4 pts they would be much more engaged a la 15/16, Bournemouth H, Norwich H, West Ham H etc.

Hopefully they will enjoy "their" team, winning lots of games, playing great football, with some very very good players all playing well almost all the time, e.g. Cags, Evans, Riccy, Maddison, Tielemans, Ndidi, Vardy and Champions League football (amazing!!) again is the prize, if they can keep it together.

Lets hope the fans realise they can help them get there.

PS Anfield was a library!!! And they won 2-1.  And Watford bought a minibus Weds, that is not going to get a home fans reaction.

46 minutes ago, The boy Linacre said:

Yeah to add to worth_the_wait, the last 2 games we actually haven't been really on it, against Everton and Watford it was hard work till the goal, we didn't get a shedload of chances early doors against Watford, we were just a bit flatter in both games and after 15-20 mins if the games settles down to Cags to Evans, Evans to Cags that translates to the fans.

Lets see what we have on the 26th IF we can beat Villa and Norwich and getting something at the Etihad or Liverpool are closer than 8.

Luckily I can get to some away games, that makes up for it on the atmosphere front, Palace was good and Brighton OK too, especially when we got the retaken penalty.

We have this pattern now it seems keep it tight 1st half, score 2nd, normally two.  Its like the title winning run when we won 4 or 5 games in a row in Feb/March 1-0, this time putting it to bed with a 2nd, though many of the 2nds are late.

Think the fans know its a stretch to bridge the gap to Liverpool currently I think if it was closer maybe 3-4 pts they would be much more engaged a la 15/16, Bournemouth H, Norwich H, West Ham H etc.

Hopefully they will enjoy "their" team, winning lots of games, playing great football, with some very very good players all playing well almost all the time, e.g. Cags, Evans, Riccy, Maddison, Tielemans, Ndidi, Vardy and Champions League football (amazing!!) again is the prize, if they can keep it together.

Lets hope the fans realise they can help them get there.

PS Anfield was a library!!! And they won 2-1.  And Watford bought a minibus Weds, that is not going to get a home fans reaction.

The reason Anfield's like a library is that big clubs fans don't bother raising the volume when clubs like ours visit, same as us for clubs down the pecking order. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

The reason Anfield's like a library is that big clubs fans don't bother raising the volume when clubs like ours visit, same as us for clubs down the pecking order. 

Wrong. 

If you've been Anfield or even watch them on TV then you'll now their atmosphere is a myth even for Champions Leagues game. 

Ynwa can be half decent other than that it's like having a mute button. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Wrong. 

If you've been Anfield or even watch them on TV then you'll now their atmosphere is a myth even for Champions Leagues game. 

Ynwa can be half decent other than that it's like having a mute button. 

Every time I've been to Anfield I've been struck by how quiet it tends to be for long periods. 

The myth persists, though. A good  example of how reality doesn't really have anything to do with received wisdom.

Even in its 60s heyday, the atmosphere often flagged - but Liverpool were the media darlings and a narrative - that's still with us - was born.

15 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

Every time I've been to Anfield I've been struck by how quiet it tends to be for long periods. 

The myth persists, though. A good  example of how reality doesn't really have anything to do with received wisdom.

Even in its 60s heyday, the atmosphere often flagged - but Liverpool were the media darlings and a narrative - that's still with us - was born.

Yep. 

Another footballing myth; Wembley has a big pitch. Well no it doesnt but the media like you said always persist with it. Snooze. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

Some of the comments on the Watford game are a bit OTT.   Get a grip.   Atmospheres go up and down as often as whore's drawers.

Most of the so-called "top clubs" like Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool are terrible atmospheres.   Their away support may be decent, but their home support is absolutely dire (most of the time).

Most clubs have ups and down.  It's usually good after a few years of rubbish.   So we were good 2014-16, Huddersfield were good the first season they were up, Wolves was good last season, and no doubt Villa/Sheff Utd/Norwich is good this year.   Next year it will be Leeds or whoever.

On a given season, it goes up and down hugely.   A good open game against a so-called "big club" with a large away following is normallly pretty good.

Absolutely. The noise, vibe and singing during the Arsenal game last month was amongst the best I've experienced at a home game in years. 

• Like 2

Bottom tier stood for the whole game and kept singing. Great atmosphere today. Helped by the fact that it was at Villa, if you can't raise your voice at that you might as well not go.

Don't worry....about a thing....coz the Championship....is gonna be alright! That got them stirred up but not as much as Vardys grin!!!!!!!!!!! Magic away day

• Like 2