Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Smart TVs

My daughter has asked for a 'smart' tv for her room Xmas. I've had a brief look online and there is a bewildering range of makes and prices. What should I be looking at in terms of features? Is there any good reason to pay more than the £160/170 that I've seen advertised for some?

I don't know who's got what at the minute, but historically not every manufacturer has the rights to have all the apps.

It's about 4 years ago since I bought mine, but Samsung had everything you'd want at that point, whereas not all the others did - they were the only one at the time that gave access to all the main terrestrial providers' apps. May not be the same now, but worth checking - it's a pain in the arse to find you've got everything except All 4, when you're a big Naked Attraction fan, for example

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I don't know who's got what at the minute, but historically not every manufacturer has the rights to have all the apps.

This.

They can also lose licenses to stream service providers and customers won't be made aware. The apps will just stop working or disappear. 

Buying an Amazon Fire TV stick basically turns any TV with a HDMI into a Smart TV. They have all the usual apps, plus some. Then KODI, ShowBox etc. if you want. 

• Like 1

Samsung or LG. Some "smart tv's" are not as smart as the manufacturers make out as they only allow a few apps that are not mainstream. If you can get a tv with netflix, spotify and  amazon prime apps on it, as well as having wifi and bluetooth, it should be fine. 

• Like 2

Be cautious buying the cheapest. 

I have a blaupunkt smart TV which was the cheapest on the market at the time and it's the worst thing ever. The software and hardware that runs the smart features is just terrible, so bad in fact I don't dare using the features on it as I'd lose half of my evening waiting for stuff to load. 

If I want a cheap laugh I sometimes load up the Internet browser on it - I swear whoever created it must have done so in jest as it's the worst app you could imagine. 

Pictures quality is good on it so that's all that matters to me.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

what screen size you looking for Buce?

It will be situated on a wall maybe 10 feet away from where she viewing it, Daz; what would you suggest as appropriate for that?

Just now, Buce said:

It will be situated on a wall maybe 10 feet away from where she viewing it, Daz; what would you suggest as appropriate for that?

ooh, it depends on the room size and how much space you have but with small bezel sizes these days I'd always look for something no smaller than 32". 

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/samsung-t32e390sx-smart-32-led-tv-10137096-pdt.html

this currently has £100 off and has good reviews. I'm a Samsung fan - they have good colours and deep blacks. 

seems like a good deal to me and has catch-up / smart-hub built in. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Only advice I can give is don't rush the decision and read reviews. I recently jumped on a great deal for Sharp 40 inch tv (plus 20% work discount), wish i'd waited. To be honest it's not too bad, full smart capabilities, it's just quite slow and the web browser if atrocious, all of which were in reviews etc.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

My son asked for a TV for his birthday/xmas pressie and i managed to get a 43in, 4k Toshiba smart TV from AO.com on Black Friday. I thought it was a decent price at £280 (it had been reduced by a decent amount too) 

Then he spent hours playing with the box, pretending it was a fire engine, then a spaceship. Today it's a racing car.

In other news, kid today, eh?