Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Islam Slimani

10 hours ago, Johnthefoxrayner said:

We need a target man and Slimani would fit the bill but can't see him coming back to us, never got a chance imo, 

Disagree. 23 matches in his first season with us, twelve matches last season - enough opportunities to make an impact.

It's not that he wasn't given a chance, it's his attitude and character that were the reason he was sent out on loan.

Big billy bollocks in the dressing room, cause for some unrest - if you believe independent sources.

3 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Disagree. 23 matches in his first season with us, twelve matches last season - enough opportunities to make an impact.

First years....

Slimani - 16 Starts, 12 subs about 1500 minutes in total... 8 goals and 5 assists. He had the best goals and assists ratio of our strikers that first season. *

Silva -  10 starts 4 sub about 900 minutes total... done absolutely nothing. *

Who made the more impact to deserve more chances?

Which one do you defend?

*Excludes FA and League Cups

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Babylon said:

First years....

Slimani - 16 Starts, 12 subs about 1500 minutes in total... 8 goals and 5 assists. He had the best goals and assists ratio of our strikers that first season. *

Which one do you defend?

In terms of age and potential, clearly Silva.

We are/were crying out loud for some kind of box-to-box midfielder who can also act as a playmaker, if need be.

Not Silva's fault his transfer was a whole mess, with him missing half of a season, then being subject to a manager who doesn't feel like playing him.

Slimani downed tools with the club, so he's got mainly himself to blame.

2 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

We are/were crying out loud for some kind of box-to-box midfielder who can also act as a playmaker, if need be.

Not Silva's fault his transfer was a whole mess, with him missing half of a season, then being subject to a manager who doesn't feel like playing him.

Thats nothing more than personal preference not backed up by any obvious facts, or am I missing some information that Silva should indeed by given game time?

(I actually think the poster who previously mentioned that game time for Silva costs the club is bang on)

17 minutes ago, Babylon said:

First years....

Which one do you defend?

Silva isn't a striker though and probably been asked to sit as well like Mendy and Nididi in his 10 whole starts.

Those Slimaini stats are good though, always though he done well bit lack lustre as times but he did chase down and wind up the defenders which as we know with Vardy makes things happen (Nacho being complete opposite)

20 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Thats nothing more than personal preference not backed up by any obvious facts, or am I missing some information that Silva should indeed by given game time?

(I actually think the poster who previously mentioned that game time for Silva costs the club is bang on)

In the situation we're finding ourselves in right now, with not enough impetus coming from midfield, I'd take Silva over Slimani any day.

Given the lack of service for Vardy and in parts Iheanacho, with the right support from midfield, they'd start clicking again in no time.

We clearly have difficulties controlling the game, changing tempo, holding on to the ball, dictating the play at times, playing decent (ground) passes from central midfield, providing service to our striker(s). Plus, Maddison alone is a bit of a meagre selection going forward, the lad's got talent, but I think he can't carry the attack all on his own.

Our midfield is our main concern, not our strikers.

Edited by MC Prussian
  • Like 1

Slimani never really got a chance in this new Puel ball style... I personally think he’d do well with this current set up as our striker isn’t really needed to contribute to build up play... just need some1 in the box to get on the end of 1 of the 900 crosses we whip in each game which I guess is Slimani’s strength

1 hour ago, MC Prussian said:

Age and potential? You do realise that Silva is 30 in two months, the same age as Slimani?

We are crying out for someone who can get their noggin on the ball also.

Not Silva's fault his transfer was a whole mess, with him missing half of a season, then being subject to a manager who doesn't feel like playing him

No it's not, but then it's not the managers fault he's left with a load of players who he didn't sign and doesn't think good enough.

Did he? You seem very keen to embrace the narrative driven by a few people on here who have got more wrong than right. Lets not forget all the ITK's who blamed Pearson for lots of stuff that was bollocks. Lets deal with what we know and see.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, whoareyaaa said:

Silva isn't a striker though and probably been asked to sit as well like Mendy and Nididi in his 10 whole starts.

Those Slimaini stats are good though, always though he done well bit lack lustre as times but he did chase down and wind up the defenders which as we know with Vardy makes things happen (Nacho being complete opposite)

Aware of that, but he brought up players making an impact. Slimani actually made one that first season, Silva honestly I can't remember being impressed with anything he's done barring 5 minutes against Huddersfield.

We need a target man and Slimani fits our criteria but i cant see him coming back. Bridges have already been burnt.

1 hour ago, whoareyaaa said:

True Slimani tried to make things happen. Nacho is so Lazy unlike Shinji and the rest of our strikers. He has pace but is unwilling to use it. Lazy and Pathetic, his City career summed up by that insta photo.

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

First years....

Which one do you defend?

I think Slimani did well when here so don't disagree in that sense, but comparing a CM stats to a strikers is just silly. Especially when you consider that Puel likes his CM's to be defensive and keep it very simple, so his goals/assists from 900 total minutes were never going to compete with 1500 minutes in solely attacking positions as a striker. It's just been posted in another thread about Iniesta's stats not reflecting what a player he is/was. 

As another has just eluded to. I think Silva's lack of opportunities now, maybe to do with an appearance fee bonus owed to Sporting. Not sure how else you can explain a clearly unfit James and forgotten King being wheeled out for the FA Cup, when we have a Portugal International in the squad, fit and raring to go! 

1 hour ago, dbtcity said:

Slimani never really got a chance in this new Puel ball style... I personally think he’d do well with this current set up as our striker isn’t really needed to contribute to build up play... just need some1 in the box to get on the end of 1 of the 900 crosses we whip in each game which I guess is Slimani’s strength

It seems odd that Slimani isnt currently being looked at in our squad for a target man role but i think its the fact his attitude is dreadful and plays for himself and doesnt fit the family togetherness the club structured themselves around. Hes a square peg trying to fit into a round hole. He was a bad buy from day one £29m WORTH  and its best to make as much as we can from this mistake and go elsewhere.

22 hours ago, Fox92 said:

. Dunno about his attitude, this seems to be aimed at anyone who doesn't work out here.

So you've not seen him on the pitch bitching moaning and complaining about everything others do. The guy is a cock and total waste of money. 

We could have spent half that money and got more for it. 

we spent badly after the title win, which we all know. 
if Slimani's attitude with the rest of the squad is as bad as we're led to believe, there's no way he's coming back and we don't need a disruptive force in the dressing room - especially not with the rest of the season to go. 
I say let Villa have him and see if we can get somebody like Rudy Gestede from Middlesborough. It'll cost a bloody fortune to get a half decent striker this window so you have to go lower league. Let them know they'll be an alternative and impact player and see what happens. No way they'll be as expensive as Slimani.

17 hours ago, Finn Claw II said:

He’s failed with us, Newcastle and now Fenebache.  Not quite goals everywhere.

that said he is at least a different option off the bench.

in fairness he was dogged with injuries at Newcastle 

I imagine the reason we won't bring him back here, is a combination of his attitude (due to lack of game time to be fair) plus not fitting into Puel's system. 

I think he would be a much better option than Iheanacho right now, and would mean that we have someone who can attack the countless number of hopeful crosses we send into the box.

15 minutes to go and needing a goal, we bring on a fresh Albrighton and Slimani... That to me is a great Plan B but I just don't see Puel being that flexible, even late into a game when losing. 

Best we can hope for, is some club from China or Middle East come in and we can re-coup a decent sum and draw a line under the whole thing, e.g Musa

1 hour ago, STUHILL said:

I think Slimani did well when here so don't disagree in that sense, but comparing a CM stats to a strikers is just silly. Especially when you consider that Puel likes his CM's to be defensive and keep it very simple, so his goals/assists from 900 total minutes were never going to compete with 1500 minutes in solely attacking positions as a striker. It's just been posted in another thread about Iniesta's stats not reflecting what a player he is/was. 

As another has just eluded to. I think Silva's lack of opportunities now, maybe to do with an appearance fee bonus owed to Sporting. Not sure how else you can explain a clearly unfit James and forgotten King being wheeled out for the FA Cup, when we have a Portugal International in the squad, fit and raring to go!

I'm not trying to compare stats, I'm replying to someone who said Slimani didn't make an impact when it's as clear as day he did with those stats.

The same person elsewhere said previously that Silva hadn't had enough of a chance, so I'm merely pointing out that Slimani managed to make an impact from limited game time. Silva, even forgetting those stats just hasn't contributed anything. He's not even looked good.

It's a very specific post to the person I quoted, about posts in multiple threads.

People complain about the Slimani signing, but we had gotten into the CL and NEEDED someone else who could come in and score goals.  Couldnt even get Deeney remember.

The club paid through the nose for Slim to make sure we got that person in and lets be fair he did come in and score goals and apart from Vardy we havent found another striker that could do that

At the time his signing helped us out in both PL and CL.  He went to the African Cup and that along with the groin injury there derailed his time here a bit

Not saying his attitude was great, idk, possibly truth to the rumours

But to make out he was some sort of idiotic signing isnt quite fair.  We were in an extraordinary position getting unexpectedly into the CL and fair play to the club for forking out the cash and getting someone, anyone, in who could contribute some goals

• Like 2

I'd take him back in a heartbeat. We need a plan b.

Never got a chance here. He was consistently played as a number 10 in a Shinji sort of roll which baffled me. Also believe most of his appearances were also when the entire team was playing badly. Harsh to blame him. If I were him I wouldn't be in a hurry to come back here.

• Like 1