Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Cadno'r Cymoedd

At least nine richer English clubs than us...

Just now, AKCJ said:

and Vardy, Maddison, Maguire, Chilwell, Ricardo and Kasper would walk into their side. What's your point? It'll always be opinion and my opinion is that we shouldn't be behind the likes of Wolves and Watford now and especially not after we've played 38 games.

According to this logic we shouldn’t have won the league in 15/16. 

19 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

and Vardy, Maddison, Maguire, Chilwell, Ricardo and Kasper would walk into their side. What's your point? It'll always be opinion and my opinion is that we shouldn't be behind the likes of Wolves and Watford now and especially not after we've played 38 games.

Kasper wouldn't - You forget that Patricio is Portugal's first choice keeper. Don't know enough about the rest of their squad to say about the rest. 

2 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Kasper wouldn't - You forget that Patricio is Portugal's first choice keeper. Don't know enough about the rest of their squad to say about the rest. 

Why do you think I forgot that?

Kasper is a better goalkeeper.

7 hours ago, peach0000 said:

A lot of our lack of revenue comes down to low sponsorship rates I believe. I read an article a few weeks ago where it claimed king power were only paying the 19th highest fee in the premier league for shirt sponsorship. I also believe the stadium rights were the lowest of any to of been sold in the premier league. 

Despite this though I'm not criticising king power as they get cheap sponsorship but their owners pump tens of millions into the club of their own funds that more than make up the gap with the likes of Newcastle and Everton. 

Bring back Walkers Bowl I say. 

13 hours ago, Paddy. said:

We were in League 1 this time a decade ago and were in administration just a few years before that so I'm not going to worry about us slipping out of the top 20 richest clubs, particulalrly if we're still 22nd. Great time to be a Leicester fan despite all the moaning and groaning.

Oh you’re one of these “I’d rather be in the championship fans” aren’t you?

not the attitude. Top 6 or nothing. Sack the board

• 11 months later...
On 24/01/2019 at 10:07, davieG said:

Leicester City have slipped down the rankings of the world’s richest clubs after failing to qualify for European competition last season, according to new figures in an influential annual report.

The Foxes failed to appear in the top 20 of Deloitte’s Football Money League for the first time since the 2014/15 season. The club is now ranked 22nd richest in the world with a turnover in the 2017/18 season of £179.4m, just ahead of Southampton and Crystal Palace

http://www.thebusinessdesk.com/eastmidlands/news/2022107-foxes-slip-down-football-rich-list-rankings

Yeah think we got that one

Remember that transfer money is not included in this "league" it's purely broadcast rights, sponsorship money, merchandise and gate receipts.

Money makes money or more accurately success (past and present) and reputation attract money.

Football clubs are businesses and like any business the quality of its product is no reflection of its ability to generate large profits; few people would suggest that Rolls Royce, Jaguar and Aston Martin make worse cars than Ford but all three had to be sold to survive because Ford have a better business model.

• Like 1

On 24/01/2019 at 15:16, sylofox said:

Correct they can. So can you now explain the huge loan we have just taken out. The sky money for the next two seasons and Mahrez money is paying it off. Been explained it was taken out to pay for the training ground. 

Could it be because borrowing money is so cheap at the moment?  If King Power can borrow £100 million at 3% and invest the £100 million of their own money elsewhere instead and get 4% return then it makes sense.

Sorry, just realised this was from a year ago, only just caught up on the thread.

Edited by CUJimmy
Didn’t notice the date 🤦🏼‍♂️

9 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Incredible progress as a club, just behind the legendary AC Milan, who have won the Champions League the second highest amount of times after Real Madrid. If you compared the two clubs since 2007 when they last won it to now, their fall and our rise is hard to believe. 

I was unsure when the King Power group brought Leicester, but boy did I get that wrong. We are becoming a massive club and without using oil money or throwing cash around to do it. Marvellous! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Incredible progress as a club, just behind the legendary AC Milan, who have won the Champions League the second highest amount of times after Real Madrid. If you compared the two clubs since 2007 when they last won it to now, their fall and our rise is hard to believe. 

I was unsure when the King Power group brought Leicester, but boy did I get that wrong. We are becoming a massive club and without using oil money or throwing cash around to do it. Marvellous! 

100%. Everything we have spent in the last few years can be traced back to our impossible title win, which in itself proves we were the victims of unfair financial play! £175m in prize money from winning the league and our Champions League exploits, and £200m earned from the sales of Kante, Drinkwater, Mahrez and Maguire (+£12m if you really want to include Schlupp)

And to think - 5 years ago, at the end of our first season back in the Premier League, I was raving about what amazing deals we'd done in selling Nugent for £5m and Wood for £3m! 

We're about to take a huge step forward thanks to the new training ground too; we've been very smart with how we've funded that via loans.

With that, and now that STCC has been lifted, and if we can indeed finish this season in the top 4, we're financially secure and have a squad and coach that match our ambitions.

The stadium expansion can wait as far as I'm concerned - at least for another couple of seasons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

100%. Everything we have spent in the last few years can be traced back to our impossible title win, which in itself proves we were the victims of unfair financial play! £175m in prize money from winning the league and our Champions League exploits, and £200m earned from the sales of Kante, Drinkwater, Mahrez and Maguire (+£12m if you really want to include Schlupp)

And to think - 5 years ago, at the end of our first season back in the Premier League, I was raving about what amazing deals we'd done in selling Nugent for £5m and Wood for £3m! 

We're about to take a huge step forward thanks to the new training ground too; we've been very smart with how we've funded that via loans.

With that, and now that STCC has been lifted, and if we can indeed finish this season in the top 4, we're financially secure and have a squad and coach that match our ambitions.

The stadium expansion can wait as far as I'm concerned - at least for another couple of seasons.

If there is ever the perfect way to play managing your football club online (I don’t play any computer games by the way), the way the owners have done it is close to perfect. No silly money, dipping in and investing at the right times, making a profit, getting management structure right, investing in youth and training ground, got promotion twice, won the bloody EPL, growing organically ...

Or you can turn on cheat mode and then play like Man City or Chelski did.

Edited by Tom12345
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

What I personally love about Leicester is we have done this through a sustainable model, other than Vichai wiping out our debt when taking over. Man City, Chelsea and even Everton have all spent ludicrous sums to improve and whilst in the case of the first two it's produced results, it's not really special in my eyes. Liverpool to be fair to them have done brilliantly with their current side, even if they owe Barcelona a lot of thanks for overpaying so massively for Coutinho allowing them to get Van Dijk and Allison.

We may only ever win the title once, but I will take that magical story of a bunch of cast-offs doing the impossible over Man City spending over 1 Billion and winning the title with 100 points. For me our title win was everything right about football in it's purest form. Even now I love the way we are trying to build a team over time with smart signings and developing players instead of just buying our way there. It makes me so happy to see players like Hamza, Barnes and Chilwell out there too. They might not all be local players, but they came through our academy and we developed them. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

I know the likes of Leeds, Fulham and others kick off about our spending during the Championship win but I personally feel that's just sour grapes that their massive spending didn't pay off.

Transfer spending in the 2013-14 season:

Kevin Phillips (Free)

Riyad Mahrez (£450,000)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

What I personally love about Leicester is we have done this through a sustainable model, other than Vichai wiping out our debt when taking over. Man City, Chelsea and even Everton have all spent ludicrous sums to improve and whilst in the case of the first two it's produced results, it's not really special in my eyes. Liverpool to be fair to them have done brilliantly with their current side, even if they owe Barcelona a lot of thanks for overpaying so massively for Coutinho allowing them to get Van Dijk and Allison.

We may only ever win the title once, but I will take that magical story of a bunch of cast-offs doing the impossible over Man City spending over 1 Billion and winning the title with 100 points. 

Chelsea start off the trend but Man City really exploited it. At least Abramovich attended matches until he was banned from the UK! Let's not forget too that Man City were gifted a £150m stadium on behalf of the taxpayer for absolutely nothing. And that's before they signed Robinho who at his own press conference announced he was delighted to have signed for Chelsea. Everton are a special case behind the scenes - imagine having Steve Walsh at your disposal and constantly undermining and ignoring him? Ancellotti may well turn things around for them but I honestly hope he doesn't. As for Liverpool - great deal for Coutinho but Klopp has still spent £415m! Take off the Coutinho deal and they've still spent 10x more than our title win. 

39 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

For me our title win was everything right about football in it's purest form. Even now I love the way we are trying to build a team over time with smart signings and developing players instead of just buying our way there. It makes me so happy to see players like Hamza, Barnes and Chilwell out there too. They might not all be local players, but they came through our academy and we developed them. 

I'd still count Chilwell as a local player. Might have grown up in Milton Keynes but he's been at the club for more than a decade so I'm bloody well counting him! Harvey and especially Hamza are local boys and 100% one of our own. Chilly's in the England squad already and the other two could very well get there soon too.

Seriously Strider, we keep saying it, but it cannot be said enough - What a ****ing time to be alive as a Leicester City fan.

The only way is up!

29 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

I know the likes of Leeds, Fulham and others kick off about our spending during the Championship win but I personally feel that's just sour grapes that their massive spending didn't pay off.

People get confused here. Pearson didn't spend money, we know that, everything was tighter with him and rightly so. We chucked money about under Sven and I think that's how some opposition fans remember us.

14 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Chelsea start off the trend but Man City really exploited it. At least Abramovich attended matches until he was banned from the UK! Let's not forget too that Man City were gifted a £150m stadium on behalf of the taxpayer for absolutely nothing. And that's before they signed Robinho who at his own press conference announced he was delighted to have signed for Chelsea. Everton are a special case behind the scenes - imagine having Steve Walsh at your disposal and constantly undermining and ignoring him? Ancellotti may well turn things around for them but I honestly hope he doesn't. As for Liverpool - great deal for Coutinho but Klopp has still spent £415m! Take off the Coutinho deal and they've still spent 10x more than our title win. 

I'd still count Chilwell as a local player. Might have grown up in Milton Keynes but he's been at the club for more than a decade so I'm bloody well counting him! Harvey and especially Hamza are local boys and 100% one of our own. Chilly's in the England squad already and the other two could very well get there soon too.

Seriously Strider, we keep saying it, but it cannot be said enough - What a ****ing time to be alive as a Leicester City fan.

The only way is up!

Man City are well owned tbh. They've spent their money contributing to East Manchester and look around the ground now how they've got brand new training ground, women's ground and several pitches for development.

And they don't seem to chuck money around on silly players now. I know a couple of their signings have gone the wrong way (ie Rodwell) but most of their signings are very good and not that expensive. I don't think they've spent more than 70m, compared to Man Utd for example.

But points about money. Big clubs have always spent money. Fergie used to spend £20m-£30m on players 20 years ago and people seem to be quick to forget that.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Transfer spending in the 2013-14 season:

Kevin Phillips (Free)

Riyad Mahrez (£450,000)

Rightly or wrongly, what other fans remember is that by the end of 2014, Leicester City had received approx £140 million in share capital and loans from the owners, and that under previous owners you had paid 2p in the pound towards the cost of the new stadium.  (Is that second part factually accurate?  It's certainly widely believed.)

I know Sean Dyche is widely mocked for mentioning (perhaps more than once!) that Leicester had financial advantages over Burnley, but it's undoubtedly true that they did.

Edited by dsr-burnley
  • Haha 3