Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
yorkie1999

Also in the news

1 hour ago, MattP said:

To be fair to the media in this country it's only in the Guardian where I've seen Peterson described as hateful etc Most of the others are very fair and he has written three fantastic articles in The Times.

No idea about the US though.

The famous Cathy Newman interview was on channel 4 don't forget.  I know they aren't the media but Cambridge Uni have recently been a huge disappointment and rescinded the offer of a 2 month fellowship because some students and lobbyisys got up in arms about it, with many disparaging comments about him being a white male going unchallenged on social media.  So much for academic integrity and stamping out racism. :rolleyes:  That could have been a very interesting learning opportunity for all involved.

16 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I don’t recall much sympathy for JRM when he was being hounded on his doorstep. In fact quite a few were rejoicing, despite the fact he had his children with him.

The vast majority of us agreed it was completely out of order.  Even if that weren't the case it doesn't justify his behaviour, 2 wrongs etc.

9 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

The vast majority of us agreed it was completely out of order.  Even if that weren't the case it doesn't justify his behaviour, 2 wrongs etc.

Who is trying to justify it?

I’m merely pointing out that similar incidents have had differing reactions.

I don’t think it can be justified.

What are the people of the UK doing about Brexit?

If this were France the people would be on the streets and the city centres would be burning.

Think a majority are quite confused and underwhelmed by it all now, whilst a small minority are 'panic-buying' in terms of stocking up essential household needs in case any Brexit agreement causes prices in shopping to increase a lot.

14 minutes ago, FIF said:

If this were France the people would be on the streets and the city centres would be burning.

correct.. however if the french people were denied a referendum made by the people then French cities would 1000% burn to the ground lol 

Edited by les-tah

Guest MattP
14 minutes ago, FIF said:

Well nothing yet as we don't know the conclusion. We should be taking revenge at the ballot box again though after - it just takes a competent campaign at the next GE to get leave voters selecting the correct candidate across all parties. 

I don't want to see riots etc though - but I can some terrible things happening, when you deny people the ability to achieve things via voting some will resort to the bullet and the bomb.

16 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Rig Stanley was if I recall and a lot over social media. Many were unsympathetic to it.

Rog Stanley's brother? It's all that time working in isolation in the North Sea. He gets cabin fever.

6 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

This.

The vast majority on every side understand what's acceptable and what isn't.

Vigorous challenging of opinions at a public meeting, even heckling within reason, is fine.

Likewise the odd challenge or heckle in the street, so long as it's not relentless, intimidating or aggressive (particularly in front of children).

Aggressive or late-night doorstepping or pursuing people down the street getting in their face to intimidate them is not OK, whoever the perpetrator is.

Unfortunately keyboard warriors on social media are sometimes given a prominence they don't deserve as their views are unrepresentative, extreme distortions of those on "their side".

It would get very boring if we all had to condemn every extremist comment by someone "on our side". A debate arose about Robinson because someone said he got unfair criticism and was a reformed character.....I'm sure it would attract responses if someone made similar claims that, say, Derek Hatton was "level-headed and softly-spoken" (and he's not been prominent in politics for years, whereas TR has).

9 minutes ago, les-tah said:

correct.. however if the french people were denied a referendum made by the people then French cities would 1000% burn to the ground lol 

6 minutes ago, MattP said:

Well nothing yet as we don't know the conclusion. We should be taking revenge at the ballot box again though after - it just takes a competent campaign at the next GE to get leave voters selecting the correct candidate across all parties. 

I don't want to see riots etc though - but I can some terrible things happening, when you deny people the ability to achieve things via voting some will resort to the bullet and the bomb.

I'm certainly not advocating rioting. I think that is never the solution - but the French would be doing it already on the back of some MASSIVE street demonstrations. I admire the English sangfroid but I think the people really ought to be demonstarting on the streets over the ineptness of their politicians whether they wanted to remain or leave and whatever deal or no deal they want now.

Everyone should stop working this afternoon (especially if the weather is nice) and picnic in the streets.

23 minutes ago, FIF said:

Shouting a lot on the internet, mostly.

Rees-Smug is stockpiling Earl Grey and a lifetime supply of plus fours for his children.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, FIF said:

I'm certainly not advocating rioting. I think that is never the solution - but the French would be doing it already on the back of some MASSIVE street demonstrations. I admire the English sangfroid but I think the people really ought to be demonstarting on the streets over the ineptness of their politicians whether they wanted to remain or leave and whatever deal or no deal they want now.

Everyone should stop working this afternoon (especially if the weather is nice) and picnic in the streets.

There have been people protesting and mostly they've been mocked on here

Guest MattP

Right as you said this @FIF I came across this.

Lorry Drivers planning to block the Motorways in the event of Brexit being blocked.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/m4-m5-blocked-brexit-lorries-2661365

This is certainly one of the advantages our side will have in this - leave voters tend to be people who do jobs like this.

If a load of Remain voting authors, students and uni lecturers go on strike I doubt most people will give a shit.

We are certainly going to see some civil unrest if it is blocked.

Guest MattP
48 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

The famous Cathy Newman interview was on channel 4 don't forget.  I know they aren't the media but Cambridge Uni have recently been a huge disappointment and rescinded the offer of a 2 month fellowship because some students and lobbyisys got up in arms about it, with many disparaging comments about him being a white male going unchallenged on social media.  So much for academic integrity and stamping out racism. :rolleyes:  That could have been a very interesting learning opportunity for all involved.

Just read about the Cambridge situation, how awful. 

The opportunity for students to receive free lectures from one of the leading psychologists on the World and it's denied because a small minority don't think he's "woke" enough - pathetic. 

4 minutes ago, MattP said:

Just read about the Cambridge situation, how awful. 

The opportunity for students to receive free lectures from one of the leading psychologists on the World and it's denied because a small minority don't think he's "woke" enough - pathetic. 

It's horrible irony that this is all done under the guise of preventing hate speech when the ones truly demonstrating hate are those using social media to hurl obscenities and character assassinations at the man...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MattP said:

Lorry Drivers planning to block the Motorways in the event of Brexit being blocked.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/m4-m5-blocked-brexit-lorries-2661365

This is certainly one of the advantages our side will have in this - leave voters tend to be people who do jobs like this.

If a load of Remain voting authors, students and uni lecturers go on strike I doubt most people will give a shit.

"Infrastructure will take a huge hit if we leave the EU"

"No it won't and to prove it we're going to give Infrastructure a huge hit" :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Doesn't seem like there's much panic buying going on, well not for food anyway.

Retail sales rose in February, up by 0.4% on the previous month, official figures show.

But sales at food stores saw the biggest fall since December 2016, the Office for National Statistics said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47650476

1 hour ago, MattP said:

Oh yeah, I saw they were planning a go-slow... on the M6... on a Friday evening. Good plan mind, they'll be able to claim literally everyone from Rugby to Carlisle is backing them at that time.

1 hour ago, Carl the Llama said:

"Infrastructure will take a huge hit if we leave the EU"

"No it won't and to prove it we're going to give Infrastructure a huge hit" :rolleyes:

lol

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

How much do counties like Monmouthshire and Northumberland usually engage in any of the parliamentary petitions?

Looking at the map, I'm surprised how many have signed the petition in some places: e.g. 1000+ in Leicester South, where I live - and 1000+ in Folkestone, the Brexity town where I grew up.

There were at least a few hundred signing in every constituency as far as I could tell.

That said, the map correlates very strongly to the pattern of Leave/Remain votes at the referendum: high in London, Brighton, Bristol, Cardiff, Cambridge, Edinburgh etc; low in northern ex-industrial areas etc.

Probably further evidence of strongly polarised views that haven't shifted all that much since 2016 - maybe enough to tilt the vote narrowly the other way if it was rerun, as the polls suggest, but not definitely or by a large margin.

39 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Pretty much my thoughts. Utterly pointless. What do people think will happen even if we did revoke A50 and remain?!

Would be funny if 17.4 million sign the petition, though.....will of the people, innit? :ph34r:

In all seriousness, much as I wish the nation would come to its senses and turn against Brexit and cancel it, I won't be signing any such petition.

I'm highly dubious that even a second referendum would be a good idea. I'd settle for Soft Brexit now. Revoking Article 50 would cause outrage and could seriously damage our already creaking democracy - unless there's a major shift in public opinion, and there's no sign of that, nation still divided down the middle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1