Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Europa League Qualification. Worth it or not?

Not getting into the Europa League isnt the end of the world (easy to say when we're unlikely to finish 7th) however I feel we are at a bit of a crossroads and this summer we will either:

(a) Build on our young squad, sign Tielemans permanently and push for 7th/beyond that with a squad decent enough to push on in the Europa League 2020/21...

Or

(b) Lose a lot of our promising players and have a relegation battle on our hands.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Yes I’d love us to be in it but I don’t think it’s going to be of any concern this season.

Highly unlikely to finish 7th which this season may not be good enough considering this season looks like a side outside top 6 could well win the FA cup.

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

Not getting into the Europa League isnt the end of the world (easy to say when we're unlikely to finish 7th) however I feel we are at a bit of a crossroads and this summer we will either:

(a) Build on our young squad, sign Tielemans permanently and push for 7th/beyond that with a squad decent enough to push on in the Europa League 2020/21...

Or

(b) Lose a lot of our promising players and have a relegation battle on our hands.

b) This won't be happening, we won't sell more than one of our stars.

Shouldn’t even be a debate. If you manage a squad correctly it should be able to compete on multiple fronts especially a squad as young as ours. Not to mention we should be aiming to finish as high as possible and make a real go of the cups. 

• Like 2

And here we are discussing ifs, buts and maybes.

Going on previous opportunities which presented themselves only for them to capitulate in front of our eyes, I doubt reaching 7th and pushing on for a European place is a part of Puel's "concerns".

He didn't take our domestic cup competitions seriously, so what chance him not doing so for a European competition?  We want it, but does he?

• Like 1

This is a dumbass question. Of course we should go for Europe whatever the cost. As a club we managed what was regarded as the impossible and to then shy away from reaching for our dreams is totally against everything we have learnt and taught everyone else. We are the standard bearers of hope and to be seen to shirk that responsibility undermines everything we achieved. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Harry - LCFC said:

Something I admired Spurs for was that the slogan "The Game Is About Glory" could be seen plastered around WHL.

We absolutely should be targeting European qualification. Mid-table finishes on their own aren't glorious, playing in Europe can be.

Bit Spurs have now proved that it’s about financial gains and not glory after they got knocked out of both cups after putting out reserve teams and their manager said that coming in the top 4 was more important so that they can qualify for the champions league even though they don’t stand a chance of winning it! 

I know it’s a very different position to our own but I think club owners more than managers just want money and that doesn’t always come from winning trophies these days

• Like 1

I'm guessing we signed Tielemans on loan in order to "go for it."

Whilst I think our league form would suffer and we'd probably finish lower down the table if we qualified, given how young our squad is I think it would be massively beneficial. Games over two legs and playing in "pressure cauldron" stadiums is one of the best ways to develop players mentally and emotionally, which is what makes the very top players elite. It would also add a lot more games to our schedule which would give all of the young guns game time. Who knows someone like Ihenacho might come good if he gets his confidence up playing and scoring against the Eastern European / Ex Soviet state teams that crop up in the early rounds? We might seem like a mediocre team but to be "mediocre" with so many young players is exciting. Getting into Europe, even if we crashed out in the group phase would help them all develop.

But I'd be surprised if we qualified now as I think Wolves will get 7th after we lost to them. We could finish anywhere between 8th-14th. But I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing given how young our squad is. Hopefully in the next 10 fixtures we have some great home performances so we get the excitement back ready to start next season. If not, well I guess a new manager comes in and we go for Europe next year instead.

It’s just so bloody long when you have to qualify (like we would). Season starts in about July and goes all the way to may. You usually get a couple of minor heavyweight teams drop in through not getting out of the Champions league groups as well so it’s a very tough competition to win. 

I’d like us to be in it for like the novelty aspect but I wouldn’t expect us to compete to win it personally, we haven’t got a European football standard squad and we won’t for some time either unless we spend another £100 mill or so.