Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sir Shep

Garden Waste Collections.

It would seem that for the privilege of having my garden waste (brown bin) collected from the honourable council of Charnwood I am to part with £40 for this year, it having been £28 last year and £17 the year before. I’m at a loss to understand why such a huge increase is necessary other than it being collected by a private company and I’d say the loss of subsidies from the government. Anyone else paying as much, more or nothing at all? Just wondering how people feel about this, you may not mind but it just seems a tad excessive to me that’s all. 

27 minutes ago, Sir Shep said:

It would seem that for the privilege of having my garden waste (brown bin) collected from the honourable council of Charnwood I am to part with £40 for this year, it having been £28 last year and £17 the year before. I’m at a loss to understand why such a huge increase is necessary other than it being collected by a private company and I’d say the loss of subsidies from the government. Anyone else paying as much, more or nothing at all? Just wondering how people feel about this, you may not mind but it just seems a tad excessive to me that’s all. 

Get yourself a compost heap pal.

• Thanks 1

Our council have changed the weekly household/recycling bin collection to fortnightly........for no other reason than central government having massively reduced the funding to local councils.

It may be that they have had to increase green waste collection rates (amongst other things) to make up for this shortfall.

2 hours ago, Sir Shep said:

It obviously differs from Council to Council, but don't forget that councils offering garden waste collections are an optional service. Not only are they not legally required to collect garden waste, but it's an incredibly costly service to run. Councils could stop offering it, and a private contractor could easily step in and I guarantee you'd be paying a lot more than you do now. Essentially I just wonder if the 50% of households who don't have a garden waste collection should subsidise the service for the 50% who do have it, because that's what would happen if it was free.

Could easily do a tip run every now and then, instead!

• Like 1

If you've ever wondered what happens to your garden waste, it is milled and then the recycling plants pay farmers to take it away.  It includes, what the plants euphemistically call 'allowable compostable plastic'.  The farmers local to me in Foxton spread this shit all over their fields and turn it into landfill.  The amount of plastic crap that is left billowing around the fields is disgusting.  I can't believe it is legal.  I walk the dogs across the fields ankle deep in litter.  I'm not exaggerating when I say that it looks like a landfill site.

Please, save your money and save the wildlife and countryside and start your own compost heap.  If you saw it, I'm sure that you would.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, murphy said:

If you've ever wondered what happens to your garden waste, it is milled and then the recycling plants pay farmers to take it away.  It includes, what the plants euphemistically call 'allowable compostable plastic'.  The farmers local to me in Foxton spread this shit all over their fields and turn it into landfill.  The amount of plastic crap that is left billowing around the fields is disgusting.  I can't believe it is legal.  I walk the dogs across the fields ankle deep in litter.  I'm not exaggerating when I say that it looks like a landfill site.

Please, save your money and save the wildlife and countryside and start your own compost heap.  If you saw it, I'm sure that you would.

I'm not sure how that's legal either.  That may be what's happening with Harborough Council, but it's not the case everywhere.  I'm a gardener & take my waste direct to a local farm - the same place as my local district council.  I can say 100% that no litter or any unwanted items go onto his land.  I have to be careful with what I tip (not a problem for me) & so do the council garden waste lorries.  There's an old boy that works at the farm that meticulously goes through it, pulling out any foreign objects - before it goes into the shredder & when it comes out the other end.  

I wouldn't want to put off anyone from using garden waste bins, as not all councils are as unscrupulous.  Anyone ringing up to order a garden bin might want to also ask where the waste eventually goes if they are at all concerned.  I would also suggest that it is partly up to some residents to be more careful with what they put in their garden bins.  Too many people throw any old shit in their green bin & chuck a few grass cuttings on top to hide the fact.

26 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

Ididn't pay last year and just stuck my bin out, they emptied every time.... The bin men don't care they just want to get the round done to get home.

lol 

I’d done that for over ten years until last year when they introduced stickers to put on the bin indicating you’d paid, the previous owners of our house had ordered a bin for their new property but the council delivered it to us instead. In fact we nearly ended up with two as when the first bin didn’t turn up they ordered another lol 

7 hours ago, pSinatra said:

I'm not sure how that's legal either.  That may be what's happening with Harborough Council, but it's not the case everywhere.  I'm a gardener & take my waste direct to a local farm - the same place as my local district council.  I can say 100% that no litter or any unwanted items go onto his land.  I have to be careful with what I tip (not a problem for me) & so do the council garden waste lorries.  There's an old boy that works at the farm that meticulously goes through it, pulling out any foreign objects - before it goes into the shredder & when it comes out the other end.  

I wouldn't want to put off anyone from using garden waste bins, as not all councils are as unscrupulous.  Anyone ringing up to order a garden bin might want to also ask where the waste eventually goes if they are at all concerned.  I would also suggest that it is partly up to some residents to be more careful with what they put in their garden bins.  Too many people throw any old shit in their green bin & chuck a few grass cuttings on top to hide the fact.

That is good to hear but what I am seeing in Foxton is on an industrial scale, far beyond the ability of someone to litter pick the waste.  There are tractors going back and forth with huge trailers and create huge mounds of waste.  I believe it comes from a plant in Theddingworth and as you say, lazy people must put plastics and stuff in their green bins and it just goes through the mill and out the other side.

I'd like to believe it is an isolated problem but I signed an online petition about this last year, so probably not.  

46 minutes ago, murphy said:

That is good to hear but what I am seeing in Foxton is on an industrial scale, far beyond the ability of someone to litter pick the waste.  There are tractors going back and forth with huge trailers and create huge mounds of waste.  I believe it comes from a plant in Theddingworth and as you say, lazy people must put plastics and stuff in their green bins and it just goes through the mill and out the other side.

I'd like to believe it is an isolated problem but I signed an online petition about this last year, so probably not.  

If it's legal it definitely isn't ethical

These people make a shit load of money doing what they're doing.  I've been to the types of tips your talking about & you can see the money involved, it's big business & pretty easy to do.  They charge what they charge to tip & then get grants off the government for being so nice & getting rid of our waste.  Double your money.

Criminal

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Out of interest, what were the council tax increases in your areas this year? 

I know they were frozen in NWL but the impact of this is more and more things being privatised and charges being attached to whatever they can. 

Town centres are struggling more than ever, but free parking is a thing of the past these days. 

Local councillors bragging that they can freeze council tax but they get that money back elsewhere whilst also cutting the budgets of services that really need it. 

Meaning the likes of the care services are at best crumbling into oblivion.