Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
smitha

Player power

Have players got too much power? With all the talk of the senior players at Leicester allegedly running the dressing room, the players at Man It's doing the same, and having just witnessed the Kepa incident at Wembley. Modern day footballers are supposed to be role models for me Kepa should not play for the club again total disrespect for the manager and the club, sad inditement of modern day football. Thoughts ?

The player power here is partly a part of Pearson’s legacy where he encouraged players to speak up in a democratic environment and almost “self manage”. It helped us win the league, we may not have done so without it.

At the time of the Ranieri sacking I felt that the player power involved spoke up for the good of the club, as we were clearly getting relegated if we kept him.

No player power involved in the Shakespeare sacking, they clearly liked him but just became complacent and unmotivated after a while.

Now with the Puel sacking clearly having player power involved again, I’m not sure what to think. How much player power is too much? Without any of us actually being behind the scenes, we don’t know how much Puel is at fault, and how much is just some players not liking him. But it is starting to feel uncomfortable.

Probably true and it is eventually the manager that pays the price. Happened with Jose and now Claude and many others. Not saying they shouldn't have been sacked, cos they both should, but it proves that if you don't have the players 100% behind you then you've no chance as a football manager. Nothing will happen to Kepa and the likely hood is that Sarri will be sacked soon. Understand players getting frustrated when things aren't right and if they don't agree with tactics etc but what Kepa did today was completely unacceptable. If I was a Chelsea fan i wouldn't want him playing another game for my club. They have quite a few egos in that Chelsea dressing room and very few leaders like Terry, Lampard and Drogba in the past. They are in quite a mess right now. The current players don't seem to like the manager and they can't sign any new players. 

1 minute ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Leicester players didn’t down tools (this time round). They respected Puels philosophy even if they didn’t agree with it. 

They didn't seem particularly motivated. And I know that's down to the manager but we've had two and a half years of ridiculously inconsistent performances where we lurch from good performances to pathetic ones. This is surely not only down to the manager. Not that I'm exonerating Puel for the utter dross we've seen at home recently. 

• Like 1

Sport must be one of the few 'businesses' where the players (staff) are paid more than the Manager (boss)

How many of us are paid more than our boss I wonder? It's a weird dynamic and while players earn more than their boss they probably feel they're more important.

Depends how you define 'player power' exactly but they certainly seem to have more influence and say than ever before.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SheppyFox said:

What did Kepa do? 

Kepa refused to be subbed even though the boards were up and Willy Caballero was stood on the sideline ready to come on. Sarri actually came on to the pitch to say 'get the **** off the pitch lad' and Kepa just stood there refusing to budge. Then Sarri got the hump and disappeared down the tunnelf only to reappear a few seconds later. It really looked like he was quitting there and then. I actually felt sorry for him. He was humiliated in the most public way possible.

I've honestly never seen anything like it.

Edited by Paddy.
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

Kepa refused to be subbed even though the boards were up and Willy Caballero was stood on the sideline ready to come on. Sarri actually came on to the pitch to say 'get the **** off the pitch lad' and Kepa just stood there refusing to budge. Then Sarri got the hump and disappeared down the tunnelf only to reappear a few seconds later. It really looked like he was quitting there and then. I actually felt sorry for him. He was humiliated in the most public way possible.

I've honestly never seen anything like it.

Surely there will be some hefty fines for the player. He's made the manager the club football league and the competition look stupid. 

• Like 1