Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Gerard

Brendan Rodgers

2 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

I'm personally not against it. I just feel people on here have completely the wrong idea about him. 

Having watched him in Scotland for the last few years with easily the best squad in the country and many times the recourse than every other club.... I just don't understand why some seem to think he plays this attractive brand of football.

HE DOES NOT. 

Celtic fans love him but their only criticism of him is that he often plays a slow,possession based type game with far to many sideways and backwards passing. 

My other concern with him is his track record on the transfer market. Every club he's been at seems to have spent a decent amount of money with not a lot of his players making much of an impact for the club. 

He's a decent option but he's not gonna come here and install an attacking style. It'll be much like Puels only hopefully more successful. 

The slow football is my only concern with him, only because it's a bugbear that is so much at the forefront in our fans minds. Anybody coming in needs to add some intensity to our play to get a positive reaction from the fans.

You could argue that at Celtic they are facing parked buses every week and so they have to be patient. Results suggests that the patient approach eventually bears fruit for them. In Europe when they are playing better teams they are struggling to shake that off.

I wouldn't worry about his transfer record. We have out own recruitment team here that will be responsible for that.

I'd be content with Rodgers.

Not over-the-moon, but I don't think there are any realistic options who would make me feel that way. Not dissapointed either, as there are far, far worse options we could end up with (Allardyce/Pardew) or managers just not suited to what we're trying to do here (Benitez).

He has a track record with youth, knows the league, and has spent 6 months working with Benkovic already so thatll make it easier for them both to bed in.

Only question is whether he'll leave Celtic to come here. With the right offer, I think he would.

54 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

I'm personally not against it. I just feel people on here have completely the wrong idea about him. 

Having watched him in Scotland for the last few years with easily the best squad in the country and many times the recourse than every other club.... I just don't understand why some seem to think he plays this attractive brand of football.

HE DOES NOT. 

Celtic fans love him but their only criticism of him is that he often plays a slow,possession based type game with far to many sideways and backwards passing. 

My other concern with him is his track record on the transfer market. Every club he's been at seems to have spent a decent amount of money with not a lot of his players making much of an impact for the club. 

He's a decent option but he's not gonna come here and install an attacking style. It'll be much like Puels only hopefully more successful. 

Exactly.

He's not my pick but then I can't find an outstanding candidate that I would want to come here.

If you hate Puel's football why do you think Rodgers will be any better?

We've tried the slow build up approach and the Palace game encapsulates everything that is wrong with it for a team like ours.  Slow build up, set defence with their back's to their goal, nowhere for us to go followed by a long range shot into the stands.  When Palace attacked after ours had broken down we were stretched and running back to our goal.  Hence 20 plus attempts yielded one goal and it only took half a dozen attempts or so for Palace to score four.  We're not good enough to play this kind of football.

Perhaps this is just the direction that the club want to take us in but I think that the Puel out brigade will be sorely disappointed when Puel II turns up.

6 minutes ago, Manini said:

I think, if you read between the lines, it wasn’t Puel’s football that people hated....people just hated Puel. 

I think people hated watching us lose at home so often with a team that was clearly capable of much better. If we were winning most of our home games, people would be a lot less unhappy with Puel or his style of football.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, murphy said:

Exactly.

He's not my pick but then I can't find an outstanding candidate that I would want to come here.

We've tried the slow build up approach and the Palace game encapsulates everything that is wrong with it for a team like ours.  Slow build up, set defence with their back's to their goal, nowhere for us to go followed by a long range shot into the stands.  When Palace attacked after ours had broken down we were stretched and running back to our goal.  Hence 20 plus attempts yielded one goal and it only took half a dozen attempts or so for Palace to score four.  We're not good enough to play this kind of football.

Perhaps this is just the direction that the club want to take us in but I think that the Puel out brigade will be sorely disappointed when Puel II turns up.

Our players cannot play that way, pressing the opposition is what we do best. Hopefully The next Manager realises rhat, I don’t mind us being comfortable on the ball so possession is important, but shouldn’t be the be all and end all.

Just now, ClaphamFox said:

I think people hated watching us lose at home so often with a team that was clearly capable of much better. If we were winning most of our home games, people would be a lot less unhappy with Puel or his style of football.

Well...yeah. I can’t argue with that. But I think a large part of it was also personality bias as well. His face just didn’t fit with some of our fans, from day one, it can’t be denied. 

• Like 1

Just now, Happy Fox said:

Our players cannot play that way, pressing the opposition is what we do best. Hopefully The next Manager realises rhat, I don’t mind us being comfortable on the ball so possession is important, but shouldn’t be the be all and end all.

And it's dull. 

Possession for possession's sake means choosing the easy pass every time.  I would like us to mix it up a bit and be more adventurous and more direct.  

18 minutes ago, murphy said:

Exactly.

It doesn't work when nobody moves, if he can install a bit of movement in the front players (something Puel never managed) and get the tempo up a tad I don't think we're far off having it cracked.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Babylon said:

It doesn't work when nobody moves, if he can install a bit of movement in the front players (something Puel never managed) and get the tempo up a tad I don't think we're far off having it cracked.

I disagree.  The trouble is that because of the slow build up the opposition defence and midfield is set and in shape and the space is squeezed.  There is no space to make runs or get in behind.  We are so easy to defend against.  The final third is a bottleneck.

Regarding tempo, yes, improving that would help and many of us have been saying that for ages but for whatever reason, we have been totally unable to play possession at high tempo.  Looking at how animated  Puel is on the touchline, he wanted the same thing but we can't execute it. 

Edited by murphy

3 minutes ago, murphy said:

I disagree.  The trouble is that because of the slow build up the opposition defence and midfield is set and in shape and the space is squeezed.  There is no space to make runs or get in behind.  We are so easy to defend against.  The final third is a bottleneck.

Regarding tempo, yes, improving that would help and many of us have been saying that for ages but for whatever reason, we have been totally unable to play possession at high tempo.  Looking at how animated  Puel is on the touchline, he wanted the same thing but we can't execute it. 

presumably he was coaching them to do it ?????

i have my doubts on that score …...