Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Gerard

Brendan Rodgers

15 minutes ago, Outfox the Fox said:

Rodgers' Assistant Manager at Celtic (and previous clubs) is Chris Davies.  Davies was a City Academy Coach between 2005 and 2007 - under (then) Academy Manager, Jon Rudkin.  I wonder whether his connections with Rudders, might have lead to discussions with Rodgers - and might ease any deal ?!

Davies did a Sports Science Degree at Loughborough and did his initial UEFA Coaching badges with us.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Babylon said:

11 players don't take up that much room, there is always room to make runs. if they choose not to follow then it means you will have a pass on. If they follow then it means there is a gap for someone to move into. I was specifically watching it again on Saturday because it's been annoying me so much, and again a complete lack of people showing for the ball or attempting to move players about. Nothing will happen no matter quick you pass it forward if nobody wants to move for it.

Well watching that twice, you are a glutton for punishment.  Once was more than enough for me.

The point I'm making is that as long as the opposition are in front of you, letting them play sideways is fine.  Runners, don't need to be tracked from side to side or backwards pulling you out of shape and if they try to run in behind they are denied the space by sheer weight of numbers.  Good teams can play through this but we aren't good enough.

That's the way I see it anyway.  It felt to me like Palace just sat with two banks of four when we had the ball until we lost it and it was easy for them.  Everyone knows how to play us.

Sorry guys but this ain't happening. The Celtic fans say he would never leave them for a 'midtable prem team". They say he'll want to stay to win 10 titles in a row. Actually find it funny that they think this is such a big deal. In any other league it would be but not in a league that has only had 1 team in it for ages! 

I can't see him leaving now but could see a deal being done for the summer. Celtic fans also think he might get the Chelsea job when Sarri gets the boot. They are a funny lot them Celtic fans! 

8 minutes ago, Ricey said:

You've basically just listed all the 'bad' moments in his career and omitted the good ones.

Winning two, maybe three trebles is a decent achievement.

But let's face it, Rangers have been nowhere until this season (and they've nearly caught up with a novice manager), and winning those trebles as a highly professional team in a basically semi professional league is like Manchester United playing in a division equivalent to League Two or the National League.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, murphy said:

I disagree.  The trouble is that because of the slow build up the opposition defence and midfield is set and in shape and the space is squeezed.  There is no space to make runs or get in behind.  We are so easy to defend against.  The final third is a bottleneck.

Regarding tempo, yes, improving that would help and many of us have been saying that for ages but for whatever reason, we have been totally unable to play possession at high tempo.  Looking at how animated  Puel is on the touchline, he wanted the same thing but we can't execute it. 

Without wishing to sound facetious, might this be because it's really bloody difficult?

• Like 1

Leicester are ready to wait for Rodgers

Celtic manager refuses to rule out move south

Steve Madley, Paul Forsyth

February 25 2019 - The Times

Leicester City will explore the possibility of appointing Brendan Rodgers immediately but they are prepared to wait until the summer to secure the Celtic manager.

Rodgers has emerged as Leicester’s prime target after they sacked Claude Puel in the wake of Saturday’s 4-1 home defeat by Crystal Palace. Puel, who had been in charge for 16 months, learnt of his fate yesterday morning.

That loss, which came on the second anniversary of the sacking of Claudio Ranieri, the club’s Premier League title-winning manager, proved to be the final straw for the Leicester hierarchy, who will now attempt to prise Rodgers away from Celtic either now or at the end of the season.

After Celtic’s 4-1 win against Motherwell in Glasgow yesterday, Rodgers declined to rule out the prospect of a return to the Premier League. He said that Leicester were the latest of many clubs to be linked with him during his two and a half years in Scotland.

“I think since I’ve been here there’s always been that,” Rodgers said. “I’ve spoken to you a number of times on these things. My focus today was for Celtic and the players. It was very important for us to get three points and keep the momentum going. Other than that I’ve got nothing to say.”

Leicester had twice backed away from sacking the 57-year-old Puel: once at the end of last season when relations with some players reached breaking point and again before Christmas after a difficult run of results.

Another downturn in form, however, proved too much for Puel to withstand and he and Jacky Bonnevay, his assistant, have paid the price. Mike Stowell, the first-team coach, will take charge for tomorrow’s home game against Brighton & Hove Albion.

Leicester are long-standing admirers of Rodgers and are expected to test the water about a possible immediate appointment of the former Liverpool manager. However, Rodgers is understood to be more open to the prospect of a summer departure from Celtic, where he is chasing a third consecutive treble. That would leave Leicester needing an interim manager to guide them to the end of the season, with Michael Appleton a possible contender.

The club’s former assistant manager, who was appointed by former manager Craig Shakespeare but remained under Puel, is out of work after leaving last summer.

Rafa Benítez, the Newcastle United manager, is also likely to be considered. However, the Spaniard also appears unlikely to walk away from St James’ Park mid-season despite his frustrations with Mike Ashley, the club’s controversial owner.

Puel’s sacking is the first significant decision made by Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha, Leicester’s de facto chairman, since the death of his father, Vichai in a helicopter crash outside the King Power Stadium in October.

20 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Just No. 

Not only is he overrated as a manager, he's also a pretty terrible human being (look up the stuff about his personal life, he's a bit of a rotter). 

For all their resources and relative strength up here, Celtic can be just as boring and side to side as Puel's Leicester. 

I'll be pretty disappointed if we appoint him, and, after about 12 months of utterly clichéd manager speak (he's done all the right courses) but little progress he will be off again and we'll be back where we started. 

:mad:

A manager that everyone is split on? Perfect fit

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Just No. 

Not only is he overrated as a manager, he's also a pretty terrible human being (look up the stuff about his personal life, he's a bit of a rotter). 

For all their resources and relative strength up here, Celtic can be just as boring and side to side as Puel's Leicester. 

I'll be pretty disappointed if we appoint him, and, after about 12 months of utterly clichéd manager speak (he's done all the right courses) but little progress he will be off again and we'll be back where we started. 

:mad:

Plus, his nickname is 'Buck Rodgers'.

twiki_buck_rogers_vert.jpg

4 hours ago, Babylon said:

It doesn't work when nobody moves, if he can install a bit of movement in the front players (something Puel never managed) and get the tempo up a tad I don't think we're far off having it cracked.

I think it's about time we had a manager with penchant for home produced players.

• Haha 1