Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mr Weller

Europa League

10 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

Agreed, I think their players may well be on the Beach by the time we play them. While we hopefully will still have something to play for.

Why? Is Europa league suddenly more important than Champions league? 

• Like 2

Interesting to see how today's result at Wembley will affect things. Wolves will either be gutted or inspired by losing it, Watford have a decent run-in but will no doubt focus on the final.

Everton are right in the mix, it's between four of us now, don't see West Ham making up the ground.

1 minute ago, Corky said:

Interesting to see how today's result at Wembley will affect things. Wolves will either be gutted or inspired by losing it, Watford have a decent run-in but will no doubt focus on the final.

Everton are right in the mix, it's between four of us now, don't see West Ham making up the ground.

Wolves go to Watford in a couple of games time, will be interesting how that one  pans out, agree that it is between 4 clubs if we hold are form we have a real chance:scarf:

15 hours ago, Staffs Fox said:

Nope,

7th only qualifies for the Europa League if Man City win the FA Cup. Otherwise it’ll be 5th, 6th and the FA Cup winners 

So according to radio Leicester, if we finish 7th we can only qualify for the Europa League if Man City win the FA Cup, which is obvious, but according to them, if  Arsenal win the Europa League, that will also stop us qualifying.

Is that right, and why?   Also if that applies to Arsenal winning the league, why wouldn`t it apply to Chelsea if they win the Europa League?

A quick guesstimate at the remaining fixtures (below) and it's too close to call.... odds against getting 7th, but in with a chance

Hopefully today's semi-final could work in our favour - put Wolves on a bit of a downer and distract Watford with the prospect of FA Cup glory, so that they both drop some silly points before the season ends.

Looking at those fixtures, to have a chance of 7th we could really do with beating West Ham as well as Newcastle....away to WH & 6 wins in a row might be asking a bit much.

A win against Chelsea on the last day will also be a big ask if they still need points to try to make the Top 4. Would be sod's law, of course, if we finished 7th and then Watford won the FA Cup.....

Remaining fixtures:

Leicester                       Wolves                        Everton                       Watford

Newcastle H - W          Saints A - D                 Fulham A - W             Arsenal H - L

West Ham A - D           Brighton H- W             Man Utd H - L             Hudd A - W

Arsenal H - D               Arsenal H - D              Palace A- D                Saints H - W

Man City A - L              Watford A - D              Burnley H - W             Wolves H - D

Chelsea H - W             Fulham H - W              Spurs A - L                 Chelsea A - L

Liverpool A - L                                                West Ham H - W

8 points                        9 points                        7 points                      10 points

= 55 pts                        =56 pts                        = 53 pts                      = 56 pts

23 minutes ago, smudger63 said:

So according to radio Leicester, if we finish 7th we can only qualify for the Europa League if Man City win the FA Cup, which is obvious, but according to them, if  Arsenal win the Europa League, that will also stop us qualifying.

Is that right, and why?   Also if that applies to Arsenal winning the league, why wouldn`t it apply to Chelsea if they win the Europa League?

My understanding is that's wrong. The bottom line is that 7th place definitely qualifies for Europa League unless Watford win the FA Cup, I think.

There's an explanation here, though it isn't 100% clear: https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11654967/how-european-qualification-is-affected-by-the-efl-cup-and-beyond

I think that England gets 7 European places regardless. Normally 4 in Champions League and 3 in Europa League.

But if Arsenal or Chelsea win Europa League and don't finish in top 4, they become a 5th English team in CL, and we just have 2 in Europa League, so still 7 in total......with 7th place still in Europa League, unless Watford win FA Cup and don't finish 7th.

There's a further complication....but again it doesn't affect us....

If Man Utd or Spurs win the Champions League but don't finish in top 4, they qualify for next season's CL.....but no country can have more than 5 clubs in the CL.

Thus, if Man Utd or Spurs win CL AND Chelsea or Arsenal win Europa League AND neither finish in top 4.....both qualify for CL with top 3 and club finishing 4th drops into Europa League.....with Watford, if they win FA Cup, or whoever finishes 7th.

26 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

My understanding is that's wrong. The bottom line is that 7th place definitely qualifies for Europa League unless Watford win the FA Cup, I think.

There's an explanation here, though it isn't 100% clear: https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11654967/how-european-qualification-is-affected-by-the-efl-cup-and-beyond

I think that England gets 7 European places regardless. Normally 4 in Champions League and 3 in Europa League.

But if Arsenal or Chelsea win Europa League and don't finish in top 4, they become a 5th English team in CL, and we just have 2 in Europa League, so still 7 in total......with 7th place still in Europa League, unless Watford win FA Cup and don't finish 7th.

If Man Utd or Spurs win the Champions League but don't finish in top 4, they qualify for next season's CL.....but no country can have more than 5 clubs in the CL.

Thus, if Man Utd or Spurs win CL AND Chelsea or Arsenal win Europa League AND neither finish in top 4.....both qualify for CL with top 3 and club finishing 4th drops into Europa League.....with Watford, if they win FA Cup, or whoever finishes 7th.

Thanks for that. Well that explanation was what i was thinking too, but for some reason they keep saying on Radio Leicester that we need Arsenal not to win the Europa League too, as well as Man City to win the FA Cup, and yet they don`t mention anything about if Chelsea winning the Europa League having any kind of affect on it.

33 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

after all that!!!

I will just wait to see if I am pleasantly suprised,or pleasantly disappointed...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Quick question. - does our coefficient of 22 enable us to avoid the first qualifying

round in July if we were to nick 7th place ?

we are currently ranked 70th in European clubs with that number. 

I believe the coefficient is only relevant for the draws, not when we enter.

So we can have an easier match if we somehow get to Europa.

If Watford win, I believe the 6th placed team will be the one needing to start in July.

Edited by Skulking Around

5 hours ago, Skulking Around said:

I believe the coefficient is only relevant for the draws, not when we enter.

So we can have an easier match if we somehow get to Europa.

If Watford win, I believe the 6th placed team will be the one needing to start in July.

I hope to God Watford win to be honest, that would be so funny to see Man United in that position

• Like 2