Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mr Weller

Europa League

We would have to utilize the whole squad if we did somehow nab 7th and get a spot in the qualifying rounds. There could be none of this complaining for putting out weaker teams as we simply would have no choice in the early weeks, let alone then it impacting on the start of the PL season. I would still welcome it, Rodgers is building a great team spirit here and players who previously were being phased out would likely be retained or at least replaced and I think we would just about cope. Rodgers has a lot of experience on juggling qualifying rounds in Europe with the start of the domestic season, just a slight difference in the level of opposition in the league to consider.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tickler28 said:

I think we will need to win 5 out of 6 of our remaining games to finish 7th....that would give us 59 points.... anything less and I don't think we'd make it looking at Watford and Wolves fixtures.

Not realistic to finish 7th, too many points dropped with stupid last min goals will cost us. Top 10 will be a good season. Hopefully get a good season next year.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hollyfox said:

I think our late goals conceded to Watford and Wolves will ensure we don't get 7th.

On the plus side, draws in those 2 games may have meant Puel would have stayed on longer. 

The Watford defeat was after Puel had gone...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, alanf0x said:

We won’t get 7th place and don’t really deserve to after our form across the full season. Top 10 and another season in the premiership, take that. 

This is an odd comment... because whoever finished 7th deserves it over the whole season! 

We have had good patches and terrible patches but as have Wolves, West ham, Watford and Everton hence there being very little between the teams. 

At the end of a season every team has played everyone home and away and finished where they deserve too.

We should be looking to finish 7th and play in Europe if we want to kick on and become a big team.

10 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

We would have to utilize the whole squad if we did somehow nab 7th and get a spot in the qualifying rounds. There could be none of this complaining for putting out weaker teams as we simply would have no choice in the early weeks, let alone then it impacting on the start of the PL season. I would still welcome it, Rodgers is building a great team spirit here and players who previously were being phased out would likely be retained or at least replaced and I think we would just about cope. Rodgers has a lot of experience on juggling qualifying rounds in Europe with the start of the domestic season, just a slight difference in the level of opposition in the league to consider.

It can actually have the opposite effect at the start of the season if we play it right. We should go into the first 3 games fully match hardened where as other teams have been playing friendlies, this can give us an advantage over the opposition and allow us to make a strong start. Look at Burnleys games this year:

Aberdeen and Istanbul- A combination of a few players who haven’t played internationals over the summer such as Vardy, Albrighton, Ricardo, Mandy, Madison, Ward and some young pros similar to what might play a friendly should be enough to beat these sides - then we slowly introduce the rest of the pros depending on what their summer has been like for the bigger games like olympiakos.

We will need to strengthen no doubt, but if we play it smart this can give us an edge.

I don't think we will finish 7th but we should be aiming to, and more importantly wanting to qualify for Europe. If we do, we should do our best to get to the group stages, using common sense in the teams we put out but not throwing in the likes of Matty James (no offence Matty) if we then begin the season poorly then we make a decision on how important we make the Europa league group stages. Unless we are stuck in a relegation battle we should take the Europa league seriously. 

I'd take a lower mid table league finish if we had a really good run in Europe. 

Aiming to win something like the Europa League is about the best we can expect as LCFC fans now.

If we get in it and it costs our league form a little then who cares as long as we're not in a relegation battle?

That line about it impacting league form gets trotted out when it's Spurs/Arsenal/Chelsea and they're also aiming for top 4/top 6. We're highly unlikely to get into the Champions League via the league these days but could probably stand a decent chance of getting to the latter rounds of the Europa League if taken seriously.

I think we'd all take a Europa League run and a 10-14th placed finish in the league and I'd rather that than no Europa League and 8th or 9th. Not that I think it'll happen this season due to our last 3 fixtures being as they are.

It pains me to admit this, I know im going to get slaughtered but from what I've seen of Wolves, I think they are a better side than us at the moment. They probably do deserve the spot they're sat in.  

If we finish 8th/9th it would probably be about right for us at the moment.  *ducks for cover

On 01/04/2019 at 22:38, Mr Weller said:

Were we ready for the Champions League in 2017? We nearly reached the semis. What does being ready even mean? That we can win it? I certainly think we could win the Europa league. Would that ‘compensate’ for finishing 2 places lower on the league (as if anyone could know that would be the outcome)?

As for the squad size, we’ll our squad isn’t Man City’s but it’s much bigger than Burnley’s. That’s pretty big and we coped in the Champions League with a smaller squad than we have now.

Some people really do lack ambition. They worry about doing well. 

Ready means you have the squad depth to be able to sustain the marathon the Europa League implies without throwing away your league or Cup games. Which we don't have, we are just a bloated squad, full of dross we're still desperate to ship before even thinking about reinforcements. The financial reward isn't nearly as good as the CL without counting the countless lenghty travels to god knows where, which you don't have when playing in the CL. 

it's not lack of ambition, it's about getting the priorites right. You'll be one of the first to complain if we play a B-team the PL, or the Cup league which we have more chances to win, and which would lead us to the latter, just because there is a game against Vorskla Poltava a few days later.

Edited by That_Dude

3 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

It pains me to admit this, I know im going to get slaughtered but from what I've seen of Wolves, I think they are a better side than us at the moment. They probably do deserve the spot they're sat in.  

If we finish 8th/9th it would probably be about right for us at the moment.  *ducks for cover

They're a good team and doing very well but remember they've only won the same amount of games as us and we seem to have had a 'crisis' season according to some. 

Huddersfield have done the double over them, they have lost to Burnley, Cardiff, Brighton, Watford ourselves etc.

Not saying we're better but there's very little between us.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pds said:

They're a good team and doing very well but remember they've only won the same amount of games as us and we seem to have had a 'crisis' season according to some. 

Huddersfield have done the double over them, they have lost to Burnley, Cardiff, Brighton, Watford ourselves etc.

Not saying we're better but there's very little between us.

They are very similar to us in many ways. At their best on the counter attack, which is why they do so much damage to the big boys, but struggle to break down teams that will just sit back.  I'm looking forward to playing them again next year as a real measuring stick to how far Brendan has taken us. 

Wolves look more likely to get the Europa spot. They have a game in hand and easier fixtures. We'd need to beat Man City, Chelsea or Arsenal, hope they lose to Liverpool and Arsenal and make up the goal difference with their game in hand.

We have 

Newcastle

West Ham

Arsenal

Man City

Chelsea

Wolves have

Southampton

Brighton

Arsenal

Watford

Fulham

Liverpool

9 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Wolves look more likely to get the Europa spot. They have a game in hand and easier fixtures. We'd need to beat Man City, Chelsea or Arsenal, hope they lose to Liverpool and Arsenal and make up the goal difference with their game in hand.

We have 

Newcastle

West Ham

Arsenal

Man City

Chelsea

Wolves have

Southampton

Brighton

Arsenal

Watford

Fulham

Liverpool

Wolves are very hit and miss, would also need to worry about Watford. Although they do play each other, a nice draw there could be useful

I imagine the only way we’ll ever experience CL football again is if we qualify by winning the Europa League. Therefore if we do finish 7th, I really hope we take it seriously. No reason we can’t win it imo.