Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mr Weller

Europa League

Two questions 

Do you still think we can qualify for the Europa League in 7th?

Do you want to?

Wolves are currently in 7th and if they won today they would be 8 points clear. However they are more likely to lose.

The Europa League curse effected Burnley this year but we have a larger squad. It means more Sunday games but also more revenue and the chance to qualify for the Champions League. It also may help us attract or retain some of our best players.

• Haha 1

I don’t think we’ll catch them now and i also don’t realky want to this season. When all of our players that are out of contract/unwanted are moved on we’ll actually have a smaller squad than Burnley. I’d like Rogers to have a couple of transfer windows and a full pre season - something he won’t have if we’re playing  Europa games in July- that way he’ll get a full run at next season’s league and maybe try to win us some silverware and look at qualifying this time next season 

• Like 3

Great if we do finish 7th, not the end of the world if we don’t. This is a honeymoon period for Brendan, to see the squad pre summer, we are going to be in such a good shape for next season. So 7th is a must next season, but this season not a priority.

Onwards and upwards though.

• Like 1

Well we've 3 games at the end of the season from which our points tally is quite conceivably going to be 0.

We would also be dependant upon either of the Manchester clubs winning the FA cup which might be less likely than in previous years.

Not sure the club is that interested now. Most likely Rodgers will want to experiment a bit over the final 8 matches as it is a good way to assess the squad. If we make 7th we make it though I think it unlikely. Given the season we've had on and off the pitch a top half finish would be decent.

I don't think we really have a chance, but would still like to push for it. Not sure I buy the argument that Burnley were affected by the Europa League - they didn't play enough Europa matches for it to have been a factor! I do acknowledge though that it puts a strain on resource, but I would like to think some of the earlier round matches against easier teams would give us opportunities to start bringing through some of the promising u23 players. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Weller said:

But if qualifying means we sign Tieleman,for example, then it could be quite significant.

Sadly I doubt the enticement of a mid summer trip to some unknown Russian backwater or remote Scandanavian club will be the deciding factor. It will be more of he and his agents can buy into the project that is going on here. He looks a good player, perhaps not ready for the really top clubs, but would certainly be a good fit of any of the second rung clubs such as Spurs or Inter.

7th is still possible.

However if we do get into Europe then we need to improve the squad. 

It’s a myth our squad is great, it’s full of average players.

I wouldn’t want us to get into europe and be forced to play an average side and get knocked out in the group stages. You basically need a first and second team.

Our second XI looks like this:

Ward

Amartey, Morgan, Soyuncu, Fuchs

Mendy, Choudhury

Ghezzal, Okazaki, Albrighton

Iheanacho

That team is extremely bang average apart from 3 or 4 players at best. 

Edited by foxes21
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

While it’s possible we should go for it. However, I think we will need to hit an awesome run at this stage which I think is unlikely. 

Do I want it ? Of course I do. I have supported Leicester since the early 90’s and seen City in Europe 3 times. We are not big enough yet to write off any European competition or trophy opportunity for that matter. Europe gives us a larger appeal to potential signings and more exposure to different teams/styles which can only benefit us. If the ambition of the club is to get to the next level, the qualifying rounds of the Europe League is simply a form of paying our dues to get there.

Our B team were struggle againts Fleetwood and lost againts Newport. Both aren't priemer league team, and our B team got few title winning player in it. 

2 years ago our B team meet a team at PL level and get spanked 5-1

Quantity yes large  but quality is worrying 

• Like 1