Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mr Weller

Europa League

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

I've repeated it so often I'm bored of saying it, but 19 games for Marseille to reach the final is a joke. Anyone thinking we'll attacking full on and put in 100% will be disappointed. It's a competition for teams with strong squads or teams in weak leagues where they can swipe most of their league aside on a weekend and still play a Thursday with a strong team.

I agree and it would stand to reason for fatigue and potential injury reasons that you'd exploit you're whole squad. The problem on here is the understanding of that and the same voices will moan if the strongest team isn't chosen for Europe, Premiership, FA cup and League cup! It's just not possible and to try and do that could potentially derail success in any of them. I'd favour finishing 8th for this year and try and qualify properly next year without knockout stages. We'd have had another proper transfer window by then also.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SO1 said:

What do you want? This isn't Celtic. We won't be facing St Johnstone every Sunday after a trip to Kazakhstan. Forget the cups. Hell forget the league. There's no way we have the squad to cope with this even if the owner splashed the cash. Players need time to bed in. See Fulham. See what happens to the team when you play 66 games next year.  That's why Rodgers came here, to build the team that you all want.  It takes time as in years.

Europa league is fine if we want to use it as a proving ground but don't expect anything else. Otherwise if you want to go to Spain just take a vacation. I don't want this to die before we've even started.

Can I take a holiday instead of a vacation please? :P

Edited by Wolfox
  • Like 1

I’m amazed that so many would turn down a shot at European competition on the grounds it’s not that important (as if we’re winning lots of competitions) or it might make some of our players tired.

We have quite a big squad and this will help us attract and retain good players. I very much doubt it would have any significant impact on our league form-we’re not Burnley- and it will raise revenue and hopefully interest.

Some people lack ambition.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Mr Weller said:

I’m amazed that so many would turn down a shot at European competition on the grounds it’s not that important (as if we’re winning lots of competitions) or it might make some of our players tired.

We have quite a big squad and this will help us attract and retain good players. I very much doubt it would have any significant impact on our league form-we’re not Burnley- and it will raise revenue and hopefully interest.

We have nowhere near the depth in squad to compete really though other than offer our FA cup team.... We should have two players for every position and right now we have a mix of the old slow guard and youngsters who are pretty far off even remotely challenging for a starting place a la Ghezzal, Mendy, Iheanacho etc...

I certainly would love a European adventure and certainly don’t lack ambition but if it’s fitness and a top 6 place versus an 8 game adventure and 11th in the table, for me it’s for a year or two down the line.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

We have nowhere near the depth in squad to compete really though other than offer our FA cup team.... We should have two players for every position and right now we have a mix of the old slow guard and youngsters who are pretty far off even remotely challenging for a starting place a la Ghezzal, Mendy, Iheanacho etc...

I certainly would love a European adventure and certainly don’t lack ambition but if it’s fitness and a top 6 place versus an 8 game adventure and 11th in the table, for me it’s for a year or two down the line.

Ghezzal, Mendy and Iheanacho already have 40 European appearances between them, half of them in the Champions League.

33 minutes ago, Mr Weller said:

No. It's simply too soon. We're not ready.

Can’t believe how many people are ruling this out. Id only be worried if we going into in playing the first 11 at the early stages. Otherwise what’s the issue? We get the chance to blood some more youth and if we can get out of the group stages it would be class.

Why are people blaming EL for Burnley? Not the case at all, they just haven’t improved their squad and are exactly where they should be. Nothing to do with the extra games

Come on, Europe is where we need to be! Let’s not sack it off because West ham and Burnley has a good season and the following season reverted back to type.

We made the quarterfinals of the Champions League with a weaker squad and finished mid table in the Prem.

We have the youngsters coming through to handle the early rounds mixed with some senior pros.

We do need some extra players, but if we want to make the top 6 we need that anyway.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, onekeithweller said:

Ghezzal, Mendy and Iheanacho already have 40 European appearances between them, half of them in the Champions League.

Well if we come 7th we’ll play them then. Brendan will be slated for doing that though!

I do understand the reservations about squad size/strength, particularly given past examples such as Burnley. But ultimately I don’t understand how our fan base could ever want to turn down an opportunity to play in Europe. Personally I’d want to go for it, even if it means ignoring the cups for a season (we’ve ignored the cups for a lot less recently!). 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mr Weller said:

Were we ready for the Champions League in 2017? We nearly reached the semis. What does being ready even mean? That we can win it? I certainly think we could win the Europa league. Would that ‘compensate’ for finishing 2 places lower on the league (as if anyone could know that would be the outcome)?

As for the squad size, we’ll our squad isn’t Man City’s but it’s much bigger than Burnley’s. That’s pretty big and we coped in the Champions League with a smaller squad than we have now.

Some people really do lack ambition. They worry about doing well. 

It's nothing to do with size, all teams have a similar size squad,it's the quality. Even our best 11 needs improvement i.e. like Tielemans. That best 11 clearly can't play in every Premiership, European and domestic cup competition. When Brendan doesn't field his strongest side and loses a match all the whiney girls will be out in force again. As for coping in the Champions league?  Whilst we did that we were also conspiring to relegate ourselves or have we forgotten that bit, it's too convenient to blame it all on management. 

We'll hopefully be strengthened in the summer but, if we did unfortunately get in,  I forsee that that any preliminaries would be dealt with as minor pre-season friendlies with fringe players or those deemed in need for more fitness. It would be the right approach for our current state of development, as there are far more important goals than some piss poor non profitable preliminaries that risk injury and fatigue later on. It just isn't worth it for a hand full of supporters to have a mid week trip out to the middle of nowhere for some kidney damaging cheaply distilled vodka or sangria ??

Edited by volpeazzurro

28 minutes ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

Imagine not wanting your team to qualify for Europe this season so you can push for Europe next season. 

I'm not sure many don't want us to qualify, at the end of the day it's more money and that ultimately makes you stronger. But, as I said before anyone expecting it to be taken 100% seriously when it adds 19 games to your season to reach the final is kidding themselves. We'll play a large number of reserves in each game, just as well end up doing in all the cup competitions as well. We just aren't big enough to cope with it properly and we're in a brutal league. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If done right the qualifying rounds can be used to get the team up to speed and sharpness instead of friendlies with the added bonus of potential progress further into European Competition.

If management can get everyone on board with that idea and motivate the players it shouldn't be a problem. The biggest reason Prem teams go out in the qualifying rounds is because of motivation, the players would rather still be in Marbella on their jollies than the arse end of Ukraine and it shows because often they look unfit and under prepared.