Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Maguire to Man Utd / Man City

40 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

If I was the same age as Maguire and earning what he's earned so far and what he earns for the next 6-7 years, I would be able to see out my days comfortably.

But that's because I try and manage my money properly.

Yes it's a relatively short career as a footballer but I never buy the nonsense that they can't get a job and earn a wage after they retire.

We’d all be able to retire early if we didn’t spend money on frivolous things like t-shirts

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

If I was the same age as Maguire and earning what he's earned so far and what he earns for the next 6-7 years, I would be able to see out my days comfortably.

But that's because I try and manage my money properly.

Yes it's a relatively short career as a footballer but I never buy the nonsense that they can't get a job and earn a wage after they retire.

24 minutes ago, Gerard said:

But Maguire might have a lifestyle that he wants a house that costs £5m+, new cars for him and the wife every year that total £0.5m, four holidays a year at £50k a pop.

£10m net worth means you have to sacrifice some of those things when you retire, £20m not so much. 

Geoff - one simply spends more than someone who earns less than you ...... I have had very little at times in my life and quite a lot (relatively speaking) and you just spend loads more when you have it. Your lifestyle reflects your disposable income. HM has a big family who I expect he wants to also look after - to keep a house in Sheffield and also perhaps one in the states and also s Europe costs money .... why shouldn’t he maximise his earnings whilst he can - he will be a long time retired and if he doesn’t want to try and find work when his football career is over then that’s fair enough imo. 

If if we were his home town club who he supported then he would have a much tougher call to make but we aren’t and I respect the fact he is doing the best for his family and future. 

i just wish we were able to offer our best players the sums to keep them here but alas we can’t - c’est la vie .........

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Well he's 26 years old and doesn't want to be concerned about money when he retires if he has the power to do so. His projected net worth by the time he retires has more than doubled overnight now his signing by Man Utd is imminent. 

I'm sure Maguire would cope easily if his footballing ability and earning skills were only good enough for League Two but circumstances change. Most people would jump at the chance to double or triple their earning power and adjust their lifestyle accordingly. 

I'm sure if you won £100m on the Euro lottery then what you're happy with now isn't going to be the same in a year. 

You are more likely to be a professional footballer than win the Euro Lottery

5 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Geoff - one simply spends more than someone who earns less than you ...... I have had very little at times in my life and quite a lot (relatively speaking) and you just spend loads more when you have it. Your lifestyle reflects your disposable income. HM has a big family who I expect he wants to also look after - to keep a house in Sheffield and also perhaps one in the states and also s Europe costs money .... why shouldn’t he maximise his earnings whilst he can - he will be a long time retired and if he doesn’t want to try and find work when his football career is over then that’s fair enough imo. 

If if we were his home town club who he supported then he would have a much tougher call to make but we aren’t and I respect the fact he is doing the best for his family and future. 

i just wish we were able to offer our best players the sums to keep them here but alas we can’t - c’est la vie .........

If he earned 125k a week, without the add ons etc. over the next 6 years, is about 40m, how much money do you need?

4 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

you just spend loads more when you have it. Your lifestyle reflects your disposable income.

why shouldn’t he maximise his earnings whilst he can - he will be a long time retired and if he doesn’t want to try and find work when his football career is over then that’s fair enough imo. 

As I said, no problem whatsoever with anyone maximising their earnings, that's not an issue for me and never will be. Good luck to whoever can get what they can including Maguire.

My lifestyle hasn't always reflected my disposable income. When I've been fortunate enough to have brief good spells of self employed earnings, I did stuff like trying to pay off my mortgage, which I've now done. I never took a Saturday night off from DJing during 6-7 years at one point because the money was decent and I loved it anyway. I slept in my car occasionally rather than use hotels when I was away from home to save a few quid. Maybe I took my frugality a bit far on occasions but it has allowed me now to have bit more wriggle room.  I've never spaffed my money up the wall on flash cars, designer clobber, drugs, gambling etc. My release now is holidays and as many as I can justify. But if my earnings drop then I cut my cloth accordingly. What I can afford and what I can justify in my head are different things.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

As I said, no problem whatsoever with anyone maximising their earnings, that's not an issue for me and never will be. Good luck to whoever can get what they can including Maguire.

My lifestyle hasn't always reflected my disposable income. When I've been fortunate enough to have brief good spells of self employed earnings, I did stuff like trying to pay off my mortgage, which I've now done. I never took a Saturday night off from DJing during 6-7 years at one point because the money was decent and I loved it anyway. I slept in my car occasionally rather than use hotels when I was away from home to save a few quid. Maybe I took my frugality a bit far on occasions but it has allowed me now to have bit more wriggle room.  I've never spaffed my money up the wall on flash cars, designer clobber, drugs, gambling etc. My release now is holidays and as many as I can justify. But if my earnings drop then I cut my cloth accordingly. What I can afford and what I can justify in my head are different things.

Please tell me you still DJ in a Walkabout somewhere?

Just now, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Occasionally. Did the one in Brum on Broad St recently.

That’s great to hear man. How long you been DJ’ing? Back in my young pup days me and the lads loved a trip to the old Walkabout.

3 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Your "frugality"reminded me of when I was doing short term contracts up and down the country 

and often slept in the car,so my stock reply when I was asked where I was staying was, Hotel Laguna.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

That's why we all like opinions....

At the moment we are all guessing & hoping..On Leicester taking those massive strides in the next 2-3 seasons

but I am more inclined to believe that Manutd have a stronger squad,and have had a strong Pre-season..

I believe we was terribly wrong in lettiing

Him go this season..

We have given a competitor,motivation,a physcological push,and it will have a slight downer on city players....

We have a great squad ,the best in our

PL-period..We can't really compare further back in our history...

Manutds struggles have been to compete for a top 3 place...top 6-4, is still easily within their scope....That they haven't been near top 3 has been their struggles and shambles ...Some of the also-ran fans are underrating the

Still-real-talent and potential in Arsenal's & Manutd squad ,fringe,and youth players....We have to smash into that level,and prove we can earn and consolidate into that top 6-4 level.

Those present top 6,just have to blink,and their prospects & realtime potential goes up a few notches....

We haven't reached that level of belief..

as a club...or squad...!!!

I can see why people will be disappointed to sell Maguire to a club we are hoping to compete with this season, but I don't really think we had much of a choice. His head was turned, and under the circumstances, there was really only one, glaring option. After deciding that he would be leaving, I don't believe we could have done any better handling the sale. We stood our ground, just like the scrawny kid in the playground, sick of being pushed around for so long and we gave the bully a black eye. I'm so proud of the club. It felt like a key, historical moment. No longer can the fat cats pick and choose whoever they want from the minnows. The playing field is levelling, and it is glorious. Just like our title win, it feels like we're sticking it to the man and giving some hope to all the unglamourous clubs that things can change, after all. Yes, we've lost a good, first-team player, but we got paid a world record fee in return, and credit should go to the club for handling a goliath (if slightly drowsy) of a club and the media frenzy absolutely expertly.

I'd agree that, on paper, the Arsenals and Man Utd's of the league still have the strongest squads. However, I think our current first XI is a match for almost anyone in this division, and if (touch wood) we can stay relatively injury-free, then we can really push on to a European qualification this season. There's also the factor of team spirit, which I think it's clear to see we have in spades, which is the complete inverse to a club like Man Utd, who seem to totally disregard the need to nurture such a thing, and look to be a squad in disarray as a result. The talent they have can make up for this somewhat, but where is the tipping point? Our form vs. theirs at the end of last season was night and day. If that can carry on into this season, then they'll be very lucky to keep up with us.

I don't want to get too over-excited. A lot can change quickly in football. We might still be some way off challenging the big 6, but the signs are currently very good. It feels like we're making progress towards something great. Long may that continue.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dorkingfox said:

If he earned 125k a week, without the add ons etc. over the next 6 years, is about 40m, how much money do you need?

I teacher & needed 55 mil..Then I was Content..!!

Unfortunately I came on foxestalk and had My wild years...:yahoo:...

36 minutes ago, Dorkingfox said:

He will earn 200k per week for the next five years - that’s 50m of which approx half will go to the exchequer 

life will take care of a fair amount and the test will be invested for his families future 

if he has a pot of 20m then that will generate an income approx 500k per year take home after tax 

given the lifestyle he will be accustomed to that won’t be enough ........,

the vast vast majority of us cannot relate to this .....

8 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

I can see why people will be disappointed to sell Maguire to a club we are hoping to compete with this season, but I don't really think we had much of a choice. His head was turned, and under the circumstances, there was really only one, glaring option. After deciding that he would be leaving, I don't believe we could have done any better handling the sale. We stood our ground, just like the scrawny kid in the playground, sick of being pushed around for so long and we gave the bully a black eye. I'm so proud of the club. It felt like a key, historical moment. No longer can the fat cats pick and choose whoever they want from the minnows. The playing field is levelling, and it is glorious. Just like our title win, it feels like we're sticking it to the man and giving some hope to all the unglamourous clubs that things can change, after all. Yes, we've lost a good, first-team player, but we got paid a world record fee in return, and credit should go to the club for handling a goliath (if slightly drowsy) of a club and the media frenzy absolutely expertly.

I'd agree that, on paper, the Arsenals and Man Utd's of the league still have the strongest squads. However, I think our current first XI is a match for almost anyone in this division, and if (touch wood) we can stay relatively injury-free, then we can really push on to a European qualification this season. There's also the factor of team spirit, which I think it's clear to see we have in spades, which is the complete inverse to a club like Man Utd, who seem to totally disregard the need to nurture such a thing, and look to be a squad in disarray as a result. The talent they have can make up for this somewhat, but where is the tipping point? Our form vs. theirs at the end of last season was night and day. If that can carry on into this season, then they'll be very lucky to keep up with us.

I don't want to get too over-excited. A lot can change quickly in football. We might still be some way off challenging the big 6, but the signs are currently very good. It feels like we're making progress towards something great. Long may that continue.

Yeah, but the båstard still ran off with our dinner money...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McGuire said:

Sorry but this is rubbish. If we had ambitions we would keep our best players and add to the squad.

Another season of 7th-9th finish. We’re deluded thinking we’re a Top 6 club.

This transfer has ruined my weekend.

Grow up mate buy sell improve its football 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Raw Dykes said:

Exactly...what I Said ..its present hard fact,against hopes und dreams...of 3-4 clubs...

until One or Two smash  through that Cloak of achievement..The Status quo will remain with only passing ...could of been statistics.

If we  reach Top 6,this is an achievement.....Manutd/Arsenal Not in the  Top 1-3,  ist a shambles,chaos,und failure........sortt of different targets,und recognised achievement levels....

Edited by fuchsntf

Whomever we sign at CB (if we sign someone) he needs to be quick imo. Evans is a wise old head with great schooling, but not the quickest. That was one of the limitations of Evans and McGuire last season... both relatively slow.

Evans will co-ordinate, but I’d like to see a quality, younger, quicker bloke alongside him