Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Maguire to Man Utd / Man City

6 minutes ago, ROB-THE-BLUE said:

I'm just hurt that he sees THEM as the ideal move personally. They're an absolute mess whereas we look to be building something promising here. I know money talks and Utd are still a huge club but it just seems like a sideways move in terms of where both teams are. 

But here's the difference. If Man U have a bad season, they can drop 150m in the transfer market, year after year until they get it right. Their ceiling is far higher than ours.

• Like 2

Just now, coolhandfox said:

For me the fact Man City didn't come in for him, speaks volumes. 

Me too, Maguire was a good fit here in between Evans and Chilly but we saw how things went when one or the other were not there, he is a good player but not great, its just that he went to Manure and it leaves us with a problem of finding another player that is the right fit for our defence.

5 minutes ago, ROB-THE-BLUE said:

I'm just hurt that he sees THEM as the ideal move personally. They're an absolute mess whereas we look to be building something promising here. I know money talks and Utd are still a huge club but it just seems like a sideways move in terms of where both teams are. 

I really don’t think he sees them as the ideal move at all. They are the only club willing to put what the Club value him at. It’s a chance for him to secure his financial future and that if his family which I think we’d all do. Football is fickle and a career can go turn 180 through one bad tackle.

i think he’s handled himself with respect to us, he’ll never be one of the lads at ManUre, but the bank balance and the odd bit of success will make up for it.

For us, we just have to have faith in Brendan and whatever he decides is the way forward.

ideal scenario is that he can get our existing replacements upto speed in the first 10 games but it may we’ll be a gamble he doesn’t wish to take.

Either way, time to concentrate on the band of brothers we have and get behind them from the first kick as we did in the 15/16 season. I think that truly is our identity Band of Brothers - a club for those who really want to enjoy their football and not in it just for the ? :scarf:

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, SheppyFox said:

I can’t be the only one that isn’t bothered at all. Losing Kante hurt, Mahrez needed to go, DD was crap and Maguire well I just don’t mind.

I feel the same. He's replaceable, especially at 85m. Kante and Mahrez weren't replaceable.

• Like 1

Maguire was seen arriving at the club’s headquarters on Sunday and, according to the Daily Mail, will train with his new teammates on Monday.

The England international could even feature in a behind-closed-doors friendly against Blackburn on Sunday before signing a five-year contract worth up to £200,000, with the option of an extra year.

On Sunday Supplement they're saying the only negative is that he's coming into United so late in the pre-season, would ideally for them have been in settling in from day 1.

Ignoring:-

1) It's their own fault - pay the fee on day 1 and it would have happened

2) Absolutely no s**t given about us having even less time with our new CB to bed in and having wasted friendly appearances on a guy who wouldn't be here. 

So it continues, the rest of the world merely exists to serve the top six. (Keegan voice) I'd love it if we (and Wolves) smash this up and finish above their favoured names. 

If Abraham doesn't click or picks up an injury Chelsea will struggle for goals (even with Peresic replacing Hazards contribution) and Arsenal, we saw what we did to them at the end of last season plus we could have 10-12 less games than them due ro Europe. Utd could be anything from 4th to 6th or lower, a lot depends on resolving their CF swap.

Get a feeling elf on a shelf-face Solskjaer will be the new Wenger ie having 20 minutes speculation a week on Sunday Supplement.

Edited by fazzyfox
  • Like 1

No qualms from me, he was a novelty while he was here, never seen one of our defenders occasionally think **** it and chose to maraud through midfield. He did provide us with some real height and threat at set pieces which we may come to miss, but in terms of his defending... yeah its not that great.

Edited by bfox

2 minutes ago, fazzyfox said:

On Sunday Supplement they're saying the only negative is that he's coming into United so late in the pre-season, would ideally for them have been in settling in from day 1.

Ignoring:-

1) It's their own fault - pay the fee on day 1 and it would have happened

2) Absolutely no s**t given about us having even less time with our new CB to bed in and having wasted friendly appearances on a guy who wouldn't be here. 

So it continues, the rest of the world merely exists to serve the top six. (Keegan voice) I'd love it if we (and Wolves) smash this up and finish above their favoured names. 

If Abraham doesn't click or picks up an injury Chelsea will struggle for goals (even with Peresic replacing Hazards contribution) and Arsenal, we saw what we did to them at the end of last season plus we could have 10-12 less games than them due ro Europe. Utd could be anything from 4th to 6th or lower, a lot depends on resolving their CF swap.

Get a feeling elf on a shelf-face Solskjaer will be the new Wenger ie having 20 minutes speculation a week on Sunday Supplement.

Twas ever thus

They should use the City of Leicester's Motto of Semper Eadem  ( "Ever the same", or "always the same" )

Just now, bfox said:

No qualms from me, he was a novelty while he was here, never seen one of our defenders occasionally think **** it and chose to maraud through midfield. He did provide us with some real height and threat at set pieces which me may come to miss, but in terms of his defending... yeah its not that great.

Apparently we had the best PL record last season for defending "Set pieces" who knew?

• Like 1

Just now, davieG said:

Apparently we had the best PL record last season for defending "Set pieces" who knew?

:dunno:Where did you read that from? and even if it is an unskewed true statistic - that accolade isn't his alone, Evans was the better defender last season. He has many positives and flaws and I'm not knocking him, he was good for us. I just don't see it as a big loss.

1 minute ago, bfox said:

:dunno:Where did you read that from? and even if it is an unskewed true statistic - that accolade isn't his alone, Evans was the better defender last season. He has many positives and flaws and I'm not knocking him, he was good for us. I just don't see it as a big loss.

I can't remember but my son also heard/read it somewhere as we were discussing it at the Atalanta game saying how it was shock to both of us.

• Like 1

Just now, davieG said:

I can't remember but my son also heard/read it somewhere as we were discussing it at the Atalanta game saying how it was shock to both of us.

Ah fair do's, yeah bit of a surprise, since the title season I'm always shitting it when a ball comes in :celebrate:

3 minutes ago, davieG said:

I posted it in the now derelict original Tarkowski thread a week or so ago after looking up the stats

BIG NEWS. 

Northerner wants to head back up North. 

So he's a Yorkshireman. And really up until Sheff Utd this season, they've had to rely on the Lancashire side of the North divide to get some joy. So for him, Man City/Utd are probably bigger draws. 

It's like Maddison choosing us because we're closer to home for him despite offers from other clubs. Otherwise, like Harry and Sheff, Maddison would have have Villa as the other choice. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, FIF said:

You are without doubt the best young poster on this board, intelligent and level headed as well as knowledgeable and whilst I am also worried about our lack of height I think that intelligence outwieghs height (if it's possible to say that). An extra couple of inches whilst desirable (according to my wife) can be negated most of the time by good positioning (again according to my wife). If we want height there's always Benko who is 6' 3.5" to play alongside him.

It's interesting to see that Brendan has gone on record about Benkos quality yet still sees him as behind Evans and Soyunco (and maybe Morgan) in the depth chart. Does that mean that Soyunco is really good or that Benko is not as good as was said? I'd guess he's just not ready yet.

I'd be surprised to see us buy a CB after picking up these 2 last year (when we thought Manure were going to buy Mags) unless it is a top class CB with prem experience who we see as being our number 1 CB immediately. 

Too kind mate, I feel I just ramble half the time! but this is going on my linkedin, maybe that'll get me a job:sweating:

Yeah it is rather interesting to see Benkovic be either 2nd or 3rd choice CB, maybe his injury and lack of pre-season have been responsible more than anything?

I agree intelligence is key, Ake seems a clever player and does win a lot of headers. Id just be concerned of being out muscled on set pieces and by bigger teams.

Don't want us to chuck money at a new CB when I truly believe we have the replacements in house which we've had for a year now.

Good player. Slow, has the turning circle of a bus. Despite his height stands way to far off the back post and heads it for a goal kick at every corner. Will be missed but I’m not that fussed he’s gone. Got two young CB’s that have the potential to go on to be better players so I hope we put our faith in them. 

3 hours ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

Anyone who says Ake isn’t a good enough replacement is deluded. Your not going to get a Thiago Silva or Sergio Ramos in lads.

Even then some may moan that the pair of them are to old to play for us.

Nathan Ake would be a tremendous replacement, providing the price is right.

I'm pretty sure there would have been some dismay among Leicester fans when we signed Maguire from relegated Hull.....

Some leicester fans will never learn

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Always Next Year said:

A 5 year contract really !!!!!! At the age of 31 they will still want to sell him for more than they paid.

I can see him being gone long before he turns 31 once OGS gets sacked.

Didn't he just sign one of them somewhere else!?

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, LC/FC said:

BIG NEWS. 

Northerner wants to head back up North. 

So he's a Yorkshireman. And really up until Sheff Utd this season, they've had to rely on the Lancashire side of the North divide to get some joy. So for him, Man City/Utd are probably bigger draws. 

It's like Maddison choosing us because we're closer to home for him despite offers from other clubs. Otherwise, like Harry and Sheff, Maddison would have have Villa as the other choice. 

Geography has nothing to do with it. He's joining a bigger club, massive club, regardless of how bad United are compared to what they once were, and now has a chance to play at Old Trafford every week.