Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Maguire to Man Utd / Man City

18 minutes ago, Manini said:

Agree he is an improvement, but he’s not the absolute brick wall, VVD equivalent that they reckon he will be. Like you say he’s got mistakes in him.

He’s been a fine player for us and I’ll miss him, but would you say he’s the best CB we’ve ever had? I think that’s a tricky one. We’ll be fine without him too, I’m confident of that, not being bitter or sour grapes, I just think we’ve got adequate cover and the money to replace if we really want to. 

Best CB we’ve ever had? Nowhere near. Morgan and Huth rise above him along with others. He does have the potential to become a great defender but with that price tag, the pressure from fans and the media will be on him when the season kicks off.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, breadandcheese said:

I really don't get some of the hate.

We knew last summer that big clubs wanted Maguire and that he would like to play for a big club. So we signed two young defenders and got him to commit to giving us an extra year.

We've now got a world record fee for a defender and Maguire gets to play for one of the biggest clubs in the world. It might not work out for him, but he'd be daft not to take the opportunity to play for one of the biggest clubs in the world. As sad as it is, Man Utd are a juggernaut of a club compared to us.

I get that we're only a few places below Man Utd in the league and are looking up at a top six spot, but that is the only bit where we're close to Utd in terms of club size.

So fair play to Harry and thanks for giving good service to the club whenever you've played. It was a joy to cheer a Leicester player on for England at a world cup all the way to a semi final. Obviously I hope we finish above Utd, so hope they struggle but other than that, I wish him success.

One good thing is it's a good advert for promising youngsters to choose us over a big club's bench. First team football, chance to challenge for Europe, play for your national side and know you won't be denied a move to a big club. It's the natural progression for a club like us and will no doubt see Chilwell and Maddison move next Summer.

I do not think fans are hateful, just a bit angry, due to frustration, especially when they see the club trying to build a team for the future and player a player leaves after signing a five-year contract. The move for many of these players is not always better, in this case, the club may be bigger globally, but not really in a better position to win a trophy. Football is a fickle thing, and nothing stays the same way for ever, the top clubs come and go, others try to get to the top. The Foxes have always bounced around the leagues, but now they seem to have a reasonable chance for stability and they are ambitious, so fans would like to experience a bit of the big time, why not, at least most of the fans are local and not plastic ones from around the globe.

25 minutes ago, LinekersApples said:

But it’s a short career. Players are at their peak for 5-7 years. Sadly, money talks.

Money is not everything, when you are earning 100k a week, it is not like when a normal person gets a 10-15k rise per year, this would be fairly life changing, when a footballer has extra 50k per week is it really going to change their life style? there is a limit to what you can spend it on! the only reason you would move is to win something?

A premiership footballer earning 25k a week will earn 16-20m in 10-12 years as you would expect his wages to increase. An engineer earning 40k a year would earn 1.6m after 40 years, so what is the relevance to only having a short career. A top player earning 125k a week will earn 60-80m in 10-12 years, even after tax I think they could live on that for the rest of their lives

1 minute ago, breadandcheese said:

I really don't get some of the hate.

We knew last summer that big clubs wanted Maguire and that he would like to play for a big club. So we signed two young defenders and got him to commit to giving us an extra year.

We've now got a world record fee for a defender and Maguire gets to play for one of the biggest clubs in the world. It might not work out for him, but he'd be daft not to take the opportunity to play for one of the biggest clubs in the world. As sad as it is, Man Utd are a juggernaut of a club compared to us.

I get that we're only a few places below Man Utd in the league and are looking up at a top six spot, but that is the only bit where we're close to Utd in terms of club size.

So fair play to Harry and thanks for giving good service to the club whenever you've played. It was a joy to cheer a Leicester player on for England at a world cup all the way to a semi final. Obviously I hope we finish above Utd, so hope they struggle but other than that, I wish him success.

One good thing is it's a good advert for promising youngsters to choose us over a big club's bench. First team football, chance to challenge for Europe, play for your national side and know you won't be denied a move to a big club. It's the natural progression for a club like us and will no doubt see Chilwell and Maddison move next Summer.

No hate at all from me. We did well to keep him after last years World Cup.

The reality for us is that as long as we are outside of the European qualifying spots is that we sell at least 1 major player every summer. The price we have got for Harry is great. I would have taken 90 million but we are getting 20-25 million more than we would have last season.

Getting 2 seasons out of him was good going on our part.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dorkingfox said:

Money is not everything, when you are earning 100k a week, it is not like when a normal person gets a 10-15k rise per year, this would be fairly life changing, when a footballer has extra 50k per week is it really going to change their life style? there is a limit to what you can spend it on! the only reason you would move is to win something?

A premiership footballer earning 25k a week will earn 16-20m in 10-12 years as you would expect his wages to increase. An engineer earning 40k a year would earn 1.6m after 40 years, so what is the relevance to only having a short career. A top player earning 125k a week will earn 60-80m in 10-12 years, even after tax I think they could live on that for the rest of their lives

If that's the case we would see more 1 club players.  It isn't.

Fans need to realise that players don't share our values, "ambition" or rose tinted view of the business.  The world is a very different place since the rise of the agent, the social media culture and......SKY 

• Like 4

It will be interesting to see how Harry plays at Man Utd with no N'did helping him out when he goes marauding forward. He isnt the speediest defender to get back into position when a ball comes over the top

(Interesting probably not the right word, but i couldnt think of anything else that fit. ) 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

It will be interesting to see how Harry plays at Man Utd with no N'did helping him out when he goes marauding forward. He isnt the speediest defender to get back into position when a ball comes over the top

(Interesting probably not the right word, but i couldnt think of anything else that fit. ) 

He’ll be fine, they’ve got *checks notes* Fred. 

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Dorkingfox said:

:o What job do you have, where it's considered normal to get a 10-15k pay rise per year?

8 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

We did well to hang onto him a year ago and that long contract enabled us to get a huge fee this summer. It's all a game, just like life.

We're Leicester - and as much as we think we're the be all and end all of football clubs, in the grand scheme of things we're not.

We've had two years of Maguire, he's progressed, we've progressed, we've got a ridiculous fee.

If you said two years ago we'd make this profit and in the summer of 2019 we'd have the squad we have, we'd all have taken it.

Absolutely. Nothing to be angry or sad about IMO, not like when Kante left or the manner in which Drinkwater and Mahrez behaved.

Harry's been outstanding throughout this and can leave with his massive head held high.

Contract lengths don't really mean anything these days, they just guarantee protection for the club if the player becomes sought after. 

Since winning the league and what happened with Kante, we've become masters at it. 

6 hours ago, Paddy. said:

I'm surprised that some are saying he isn't a great loss, he absolutely is, he's one of our best and most important players.

Also, a few people have said that he was poor last season, I'd strongly disagree with that, his stats are up there with anybody's.

I'm glad the club stuck to their guns but gutted that he's going. 

All fans seem to want in a CB is a condom.  Leakproof matters.  It doesn’t matter how much pleasure it transmits.  (I won’t stretch the metaphor with talk of headed goals)

I think Harry’s one of the best passing CBs today.  Completes a ton of intermediate and long passes.  A midfielder in a caricature of a center-back’s body, and that comes with pluses and minuses.

It’s no surprise than the ManU plastics are only aware of Harry’s poor pace on the turn and his ability to dribble the ball out.  They’ve seen him rarely, and those things catch the eye and the memory.

What shocks me is those two things are all 90% of our fans talk about.  And many say we won’t miss him, or will even be better without him.  If we played like Burnley, they might be right.  Playing the way we play now, he is indeed a significant loss.

So, apart from wanting to meme this thread past 400 and just getting annoyed that it was taking so long, I'm glad it's now over and we can carry on. 

Part of me would probably like to be a bit sad at such potential in the team being lost and will have to readjust and adapt to the situation but we have received a World record fee. 

Maybe losing Kante and Mahrez have kinda slightly affected my romance with it tbh, players coming and going have always and will always continue to be the way of it. Maybe we've been spoiled Andy King, because that loyalty is rare in football. Like Giggs or Gerrard.

But still, the facts remain facts, he wanted to go but would remain professional. If they paid the valuation we priced on him then we'd be true to our word. All parties have mostly, it's just the shit stirring sensationalist journalism for clickbait that created a circus around it all. 85 million is stupendously mental fee to receive for 1 player. And it's not even the biggest this season, with that Felix lad.

In the wake of it all as well, there is a sense of satisfaction about our club. Our owners and executives have shown to know what business is all about and haven't flinched at supposed big team vs little team dynamics.

Held fast to what we wanted, despite everything, because we always had the upperhand. Didn't need to sell, not needing money to pay off things that used to require selling off talented assets to build upon. And they having lost one of their own defenders for half a year, strengthened our hand completely, like an Ace on the River.

So I wish Harry well but not Manchester United, obviously. But that's the same with all other 19 teams and our ex players. I wish Kante, Mahrez, Drinkwater well but not their teams, as this is the only team I care about. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dorkingfox said:

When Maguire retires he'll have 50+ years of life expectation in front of him.

Going into that with probably no more income for the rest of your life is a big difference if your net worth is £10m or £20m. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

10 years ago starting England centre backs were worth more than 20mlollol

So Ferdinand in 2002 didn't go for 30 million? That'd be about 48 million in todays money. Add in 17 years of Sky money and that's where we are at today. Yes the past 2 seasons they've gone up more than average, but we've had a new tv deal, hence the increase in money.

Not disagreeing...but its the Price for the normal,above average players that are  transfered Anywhere between £15-35 mill...

There has been a massive Jump in These last 2 seasons forgetting  Neymar,VdK,Maguire,Pogba etc...