Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Maguire to Man Utd / Man City

22 minutes ago, Gerard said:

When Maguire retires he'll have 50+ years of life expectation in front of him.

Going into that with probably no more income for the rest of your life is a big difference if your net worth is £10m or £20m. 

He's hardly going to be tight for money even if he quit right now.

41 minutes ago, LinekersApples said:

85E807AD-057A-4031-82CF-22F51A855B02.jpeg

I haven't listened to it, but going of the headline he's correct.

I'll say it again, other than finacially I have no idea why anyone would go to Man Utd in their current state.

9 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

If I was the same age as Maguire and earning what he's earned so far and what he earns for the next 6-7 years, I would be able to see out my days comfortably.

But that's because I try and manage my money properly.

Yes it's a relatively short career as a footballer but I never buy the nonsense that they can't get a job and earn a wage after they retire.

But Maguire might have a lifestyle that he wants a house that costs £5m+, new cars for him and the wife every year that total £0.5m, four holidays a year at £50k a pop.

£10m net worth means you have to sacrifice some of those things when you retire, £20m not so much. 

8 minutes ago, reynard said:

He's hardly going to be tight for money even if he quit right now.

Being tight for money and being able to live the life free of financial restraint are two different things. 

He has bigger ambitions than your average Joe because of his circumstances. 

4 minutes ago, Gerard said:

But Maguire might have a lifestyle that he wants a house that costs £5m+, new cars for him and the wife every year that total £0.5m, four holidays a year at £50k a pop.

£10m net worth means you have to sacrifice some of those things when you retire, £20m not so much. 

Yep, he might want all those things.

I might want all those things.

However, I live within my means and only pay for what I can afford/justify.

Footballers tend to get a free pass because "this is the lifestyle I'm used to" rather than having a mindset about "the real world."

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

That's why we all like opinions....

At the moment we are all guessing & hoping..On Leicester taking those massive strides in the next 2-3 seasons

but I am more inclined to believe that Manutd have a stronger squad,and have had a strong Pre-season..

I believe we was terribly wrong in lettiing

Him go this season..

We have given a competitor,motivation,a physcological push,and it will have a slight downer on city players....

We have a great squad ,the best in our

PL-period..We can't really compare further back in our history...

Manutds struggles have been to compete for a top 3 place...top 6-4, is still easily within their scope....That they haven't been near top 3 has been their struggles and shambles ...Some of the also-ran fans are underrating the

Still-real-talent and potential in Arsenal's & Manutd squad ,fringe,and youth players....We have to smash into that level,and prove we can earn and consolidate into that top 6-4 level.

Those present top 6,just have to blink,and their prospects & realtime potential goes up a few notches....

We haven't reached that level of belief..

as a club...or squad...!!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Yep, he might want all those things.

I might want all those things.

However, I live within my means and only pay for what I can afford/justify.

Footballers tend to get a free pass because "this is the lifestyle I'm used to" rather than having a mindset about "the real world."

Well he's 26 years old and doesn't want to be concerned about money when he retires if he has the power to do so. His projected net worth by the time he retires has more than doubled overnight now his signing by Man Utd is imminent. 

I'm sure Maguire would cope easily if his footballing ability and earning skills were only good enough for League Two but circumstances change. Most people would jump at the chance to double or triple their earning power and adjust their lifestyle accordingly. 

I'm sure if you won £100m on the Euro lottery then what you're happy with now isn't going to be the same in a year. 

Edited by Gerard

9 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Or maybe he wants to set up his and his missus’ extended families.  Have enough to risk starting a decent sized business when he retires.  Or do something more significant with charity -- or all three.

Even if he just wants a fancier lifestyle, who are we to judge what somebody does with his earnings?  The implication that’s a moral failing might carry more weight, if most of us didn't care in the first place mainly because of our own personal desires (for club success).

4 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Well he's 26 years old and doesn't want to be concerned about money when he retires if he has the power to do so. His projected net worth by the time he retires has more than doubled overnight now his signing by Man Utd is imminent. 

I'm sure Maguire would cope easily if his footballing ability and earning skills were only good enough for League Two but circumstances change. Most people would jump at the chance to double or triple their earning power and adjust their lifestyle accordingly. 

I'm sure if you won £100m on the Euro lottery then what you're happy with now isn't going to be the same in a year. 

If I won 100m on the lottery my lifestyle would indeed change quite a bit.

However, the same basic principles in my life wouldn't change

And I'd make sure I'd manage the money sensibly to see me through comfortably.

PS No problem with anyone earning whatever they can, that's not my issue.

But just because you're a footballer it doesn't mean you can't adapt if financial circumstances change (ie after retiring)

Yes they're used to a certain lifestyle but you should cut your cloth accordingly.