Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban fox

who would we replace in top six?

5 hours ago, urban fox said:

OK. So it is the stated ambition of the club, and we are all agreed that we should be pushing for a place in the top six over the next couple of seasons.

For that to happen, someone from the current established hierarchy has to drop out. Who will that be?

Personally I would like it to be spurs, for no other reason than I have an irrational dislike of them (mainly since the title season when their attitude, and that of the press was that they were entitled to win it because they had some bloke called Harry in their side). Realistically, I think it most likely to be Chelsea as they seem to be lurching from one crisis to another, and could lose several of their top players with no possibility of replacing them due to the transfer embargo.

I have also been impressed with Wolves this season and if they can keep it up and improve we could see the start of major changes to the established "big clubs" dominance over the next few years.

It would be fantastic to see a real battle involving the top 7 or 8 teams all in the running, if not for the title, at least for the CL/Europa places.

Sorry mate,but I find it strange on your reasons and idea,that you built your hate on Spurs or any club...

It seems to prove,even in football grown men can be convinced,on other peoples written bias,and follow easy the media Pied Piper..

Seriously..what was wrong in the development of Harry Kane,any slime &snidey remarks,come more from the immaturity in this forum,

Grown men acting and even discussing worse than  a deranged group of Jealous groupies running around the circuit for their superstar.

Some director should make a Soap, over a collective of families of football fans....Gullability,turning arguments to fit their hates and dislikes,would

make Eastenders look like a innocent story for kids!!?...... It would be fun though...innit.:rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Because there's six big teams competing for the actual money-making European placements. Every time one of them joined "The Big ___" they made it harder for the next club to do so. That's why Man City needed so much money to do it, and that's why the media loves Spurs so much - because they're a reminder of "olden football" where clubs weren't backed by petrostates. 

The whole reason the Top 6 have become so powerful is because of their monopoly on European football. No team is going to break it without consistently finishing in European placements, (particularly CL) which is incredibly hard to sustain because of all the other mid-table teams who want to be the next big thing. That's why the next member has to be funded by a billionaire who doesn't care about FPP. Because that's the only way a club outside the Top 6 can get there. 

Maybe, but personally I don't see what's so big about competing in the Europa League. I see the big 6 as being the only clubs who can reasonably expect to compete for a place in the Champions League and even the Premier League title. The fact that there are not 6 slots for this is neither here nor there. When one of the 'big 6' are competing in the Europa League, that is a disappointment for them, not an affirmation of their status.

Can't tell you how happy this makes me feel knowing the low or realistic expectations supporters on these pages have. I'll be sure to bring this up after we lose a game or two or a couple of draws.:) The moaning ratio is so low. For now. It's hard for me to be rational after Celtic going 69 games in a row without loss with 7 trophies or Liverpool going from 7th in the league to within two points of the title and back to 6th, with no strikers of course.

As Brendan always says "the Premier League is the most competitive league in the world". He's right. In this league its all about the money in terms of consistency. I remember seeing something about the rank in spending corresponding to where you finish in the league. It would be great if we could always compete for places in the top 6. Maybe even win the league again. Who knows! Most of all I want excitement. Attacking pressing aggressive in your face football. Win Lose or Draw. Get to work Brendan.

Edited by SO1

44 minutes ago, Captain... said:

I agree with pretty much everything you’ve said and you hit upon 2 reasons the top 6 are probably going to maintain the status quo. One is Chelsea and United have had a poor half a season Chelsea second half, United first half yet the are still well clear of the rest. There are still too many teams who are just happy to not get thrashed against a big 6 side. 

This is the myth that needs to be punctured to break the top 6 and you saw it against United when the fear factor was gone and when everyone worked out to stop Chelsea you just mark Jorginho.

The other problem is our direct rivals will also need to be taking points off a top 6 side which means for us to break into the top 6 we need stronger teams around us which means we are more likely to drop points to Watford, Everton, Wolves etc.

The only thing I’ll disagree with is Liverpool are untouchable. They’ve been very good this season, but only finished 4th last season and look vulnerable to injuries/departures. They’ve only really been in the big x for a few years.

God I cant wait to play Liverpool. Is the schedule out for next season yet. Sorry.

20 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Maybe, but personally I don't see what's so big about competing in the Europa League. I see the big 6 as being the only clubs who can reasonably expect to compete for a place in the Champions League and even the Premier League title. The fact that there are not 6 slots for this is neither here nor there. When one of the 'big 6' are competing in the Europa League, that is a disappointment for them, not an affirmation of their status.

You're right, it is Champions League that is more important. But the fact that these clubs (bar maybe Spurs and Arsenal if they continue not getting CL) can sustain not getting CL and still finish virtually every season in a Top 6 position is what gives them their edge - they're always set up to be on the cusp for competing for CL again which revitalises them, whereas fir any other club to get to that level would be a monumental undertaking. 

Given that the top clubs generally have europe to distract them, I think it is possible for one of the 7-10th clubs to have blinder of a season and get into the top 6.

But then repeating that league position the following year would be very, very difficult, given the burden of the extra european games would then be shared by the interloper.

Edited by Vardinio'sCat
  • Like 2

The easiest way to do this is to consistently win the cups, I know that’s easier said than done- but look at the League Cup - the top six generally put out weakens teams throughout, they get away with this because so does everyone else.

if we went all out and said, we are confident we have enough to be safe in the Premier League, we are going all out for a League Cup win - this getting European football, increased profile, increased sponsorship, more home games with big crowds, players who want to win things and play in Europe come to us and we make ourselves the best of the rest.

Any season that anyone of the top six stumble we are there to take advantage and maybe sneak 4th spot or even a Europa League win and get some champions league football back.

At the monent I don’t think it’s an exaggeration to say we have some of the most exciting young prospects around. 

We use these as a springboard and add those bits of quality such as Youri when they become available and push on.

9th place team wants to know which team they'll replace in the top 6, a group of teams that are 16, 17, 17, 19, 33 and 35 points ahead of them. And that's with several having awful seasons by their own standard. 

Now that's confidence. lol

Edited by Babylon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

9th place team what's to know which team they'll replace in the top 6, a group of teams that are 16, 17, 17, 19, 33 and 35 points ahead of them. And that's with several having awful seasons by their own standard. 

Now that's confidence. lol

>70% of the posters here voted that it was plausible that we would become a regular Top 6 member within 10 years...

As soon as Eriksen goes, Spurs will implode. I can see them winless till September next term and every journo going bonkers about their new stadium ‘curse’. 

People talking about Abramovich leaving as if it’ll make Chelsea weaker are missing the point. At the moment he’s lost interest and is letting them drift-if someone buys them it’ll be to invest hugely and win titles.

• Haha 1

I think some of us are being fooled by what TOP and the team say and what they do.

If we don't keep our best players and BUY new and better players we are never going to be European stalwarts (even Europa). It's easy to say we're going to challenge. This summer and the player movements out and in will be more significant than any media soundbite.

16 minutes ago, FIF said:

I think some of us are being fooled by what TOP and the team say and what they do.

If we don't keep our best players and BUY new and better players we are never going to be European stalwarts (even Europa). It's easy to say we're going to challenge. This summer and the player movements out and in will be more significant than any media soundbite.

We have done everything we can to keep our best players. Mahrez has to go on strike to leave.

We have spent a lot of money trying to improve the squad unfortunately the majority of players we have spent big money on have failed.

I do believe Top and everyone else at the club are doing everything in their power to make us a better club.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Captain... said:

We have done everything we can to keep our best players. Mahrez has to go on strike to leave.

We have spent a lot of money trying to improve the squad unfortunately the majority of players we have spent big money on have failed.

I do believe Top and everyone else at the club are doing everything in their power to make us a better club.

I think that this off-season will be a good indicator as to whether you are right. I truly hope so.

43 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

I strongly feel at this moment that we need to hold on to Youri to even consider the top 6 being a possibility next season.

Normally I'd say we had no chance, but he's that good he's one of them that can drag a team to those levels. Would still depend on someone imploding above us though.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, FIF said:

I think that this off-season will be a good indicator as to whether you are right. I truly hope so.

I think the money they’ve spent on transfers to sign players and wages to keep players here, the way they did everything possible to keep Mahrez, the tough decisions they’ve made over managerial appointments is all the indication I need. 

1 minute ago, Captain... said:

I think the money they’ve spent on transfers to sign players and wages to keep players here, the way they did everything possible to keep Mahrez, the tough decisions they’ve made over managerial appointments is all the indication I need. 

Shakey and Puel :S

How about we try to consistently finish 7th/8th before we get too ahead of ourselves? There will be other teams believing it's their right to challenge "Top 6" like Wolves, Everton and West Ham. We just need to quietly go about our business and slowly build to at least give us a shot at sustain-ably maintaining "Top 6".... let alone get into it!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Captain... said:

They are doing what they can to make us a better club, I agree with you there. But it's not enough to compete with top 6 regularly (sort of what the thread is about).

I think people are still thinking too far ahead of themselves in terms of top 6 and the clubs ambitions. "The club continues to aspire to challenge the big six clubs.” is what they've said. All the infrastructure projects are part of that and I don't think they'll realistically be thinking top 6 on a regular basis until those things are complete. Even then it's still an outside shot.

• Like 3