Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban fox

who would we replace in top six?

18 minutes ago, Captain... said:

I think the money they’ve spent on transfers to sign players and wages to keep players here, the way they did everything possible to keep Mahrez, the tough decisions they’ve made over managerial appointments is all the indication I need. 

This thread is asking about who we are going to replace in the top 6 and talks about the owner's claims that it is their goal. We're not there yet, in fact we're only just consolidating being a top half of the table (maybe moreso not a relegation threatened team). what has been done in the past is all well and good but not an indication of us being a top 6 team.

As someone else recently posted we're more in a conversation of who can we displace in the 7-11 category. I'm happy with that but once again, that's not the discussion of this thread.

35 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Normally I'd say we had no chance, but he's that good he's one of them that can drag a team to those levels. Would still depend on someone imploding above us though.

It's hard not to get caught in the moment and add the past results against the elite clubs we saw under Puel with the newly found ability to sweep aside stubborn dross who come and park the bus that Tielemans and Rodgers seemingly have added and think we ought to be able to muster up 60+ points a season. That will be there or thereabouts in troubling 6th place. The reality is though that it's very difficult to maintain this across a whole season, but we have been an anomaly before and Tielemans really is the fcukin business.

• Like 1

Today,looking at our competitors for next season..no special comment..

Man.city

L'pool

Spurs

Man Utd

Chelsea

Arsenal......

Plus then..

Everton

Wolves

Watford..

West.Ham

Maybe Newcastle.??

Not forgetting,we don't want to sound like...The entitled Braggarts of other clubs,especially accepting and knowing that top covetted 6-8th position has to be earned First. something we haven't ever achieved consistently in any point of our History...!!!

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, 49er said:

Shakey and Puel :S

As I said tough decisions. Shakey did such an effective job as caretaker they couldn’t not give him the job. When it wasn’t working they made the tough decision to sack him despite everything he’s done for the club. Then it was a tough decision with Puel doing a lot of good things but not getting the results. You can’t keep chopping and changing the manager so a tough decision but ultimately the right one.

18 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

We have done ok against better sides this season under Puel. We are now dispatching those stubborn mediocre/dross teams that we struggled with under Puel. It'll be interesting to see Rodgers tactics vs the elite clubs as if he has any criticism thrown at him over the years it's his inability to be more pragmatic when required which Puel was a natural at. We might get exposed against the better sides and picked off. Will be an interesting final 3 games to the season as an indicator of this.

That's great point and I'm waiting eagerly for the games against Arsenal and Man City. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FIF said:

This thread is asking about who we are going to replace in the top 6 and talks about the owner's claims that it is their goal. We're not there yet, in fact we're only just consolidating being a top half of the table (maybe moreso not a relegation threatened team). what has been done in the past is all well and good but not an indication of us being a top 6 team.

As someone else recently posted we're more in a conversation of who can we displace in the 7-11 category. I'm happy with that but once again, that's not the discussion of this thread.

Yes we are only at the start of the journey. Since the title win we have been a squad in transition but with our crop of talented youngsters we should now be looking forward to hopefully realize the potential that is undoubtedly there. The original question was not intended to be an arrogant statement but rather a speculation of "IF" we (or anyone else for that matter) did manage to break through then obviously someone else would have to make way and who it was thought would be the most likely candidate to do so. These things are cyclical, and as rightly stated there used to be a top 4, then 5, now 6 etc. Liverpool were all conquering but then spent several seasons languishing somewhat off the place. Where were Man city until they suddenly became rich? A third division side.

Personally as stated in the OP I would dearly love to see the likes of Wolves, Watford ourselves shaking things up and the top 6 becoming a top 8 or so, with much closer competition for the CL/europa places rather than the same old procession.

True the dominance of the current 6 in terms of European qualification does mean that they will always be at the top of the tree money wise, but if that dominance could be broken then more teams would stand a chance of regularly rotating around the top of the table places and hence European football and the monetary benefits that brings.  And that surely would make the whole PL more exciting both for the fans of those teams and neutrals alike.

All of the above however does not answer the original question. For me I would rather it not be a single team dropping but more an evening out of the odds and a rotation of clubs around the top 8 places all in with a chance.

• Like 1

It's not just about who will we replace  if we get a top six finish but can we keep sustaining it, season after season!. we saw after our title win the bigger teams picking off some of our players and no doubt they will keep trying to pick off our best players. if we can sustain ourselves in the top six for the next few seasons that will be an incredible achievement in itself. if a top six team drops out for one season you can be sure they will do everything they can to be back in there as quickly as they can. it is about establishing ourselves with the elite which means deep and seemingly endless pockets of wealth to keep sustaining it. Man City for example made themselves who they are by having a billionaire sheikh bankrolling them to the top.

3 hours ago, SheppyFox said:

Chelsea and Tottenham will be in big trouble soon. Us and wolvsalona to replace them.

To be fair to Wolves (yuck), they have done brilliantly really. However, I look at them and us and genuinely think we have the better squad.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

To be fair to Wolves (yuck), they have done brilliantly really. However, I look at them and us and genuinely think we have the better squad.

We definitely have a better squad but their first team is definitely on a par with ours. When you consider this is their first season up, they're ****ing loaded and can leverage a super agent to get otherwise unattainable players they are in a very healthy position. I want us to finish 7th so we can play in Europe desperately but in the long term we're probably better off finishing 7th next season rather than this. I'm not sure Wolves are in a spot just yet where they could handle 52+ game season (neither are we but we're slightly better placed with the depth of our squad).

30 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I agree, though in our title winning season, how many top 6 clubs were saying the same thing!

7 hours ago, Rusko187 said:

How about we try to consistently finish 7th/8th before we get too ahead of ourselves? There will be other teams believing it's their right to challenge "Top 6" like Wolves, Everton and West Ham. We just need to quietly go about our business and slowly build to at least give us a shot at sustain-ably maintaining "Top 6".... let alone get into it!

Why feel obligated to go through the 'steps' to get there? How about we establish ourselves in the top 6 instead of becoming Everton 2, always a bridesmaid never a bride. We went from relegation fodder to Champions so I don't think this argument that there's an iterated pecking order one must ascend is necessarily true. Invariably the path to being a perennial top club will pass through those 7/8 places, but we're there now, how long are we obligated to linger there? What's the average length of a top player's top end of their career? 4-5 years? A lot can change, fast. 

On 02/04/2019 at 18:08, That_Dude said:

For all their mismanaging and misfiring, there's still a 16 points gap between the top 6 and the rest (with Chelsea still having a game to play). Arsenal will come back stronger next year, Spurs are in a tight spot because of their stadium, but will have no other choice than investing this summer if they want to stay competitive. Chelsea for all their woes will still be fighting for the top 4 next season, same for MU (yes ManU) and let's not talk about Liverpool or ManCity which are currently untouchable.

Absolutely but Watford, Everton and Wolves have also a say in the matter and they are realistically our direct opponents against which we should focus. The odd 6th one season is possible, but consistently? Not a chance in hell in the current state, and that's assuming we'll keep Tielemans, sign a real alternative to Vardy as well as a quality right winger.

These talks about breaking into the top 6 in the next seasons make me wonder wether fans are actually aware of the real value of our squad or just massively underestimating what it takes to consistently be at the top. Or both.

Agree with this.

The top 6 are just miles above the rest. We either have to invest a very serious amount of money into players and start buying players at the 40 million plus value on a consistent basis and that isn't going to happen or discover amazing talent from somewhere more often than now.

Money talks and even more so following our title win. We embarrassed the big clubs and they won't let that happen again. Watch United spend big this summer and Liverpool and Man City too.

Chelsea may face a tricky 12 months if they suffer a transfer embargo but their current squad would be good enought to maintian top 6 even so.

Nothing wrong with dreaming but the big 6 are away and unlikely to be caught on a consistent basis any time soon.

Edited by reynard

I have to be brutally honest this thread is embarrassing, comments like Chelsea / Spurs in trouble because we are climbing for top6 is way farfetched to even be spoken about. Wasn't long ago when our fickle minded fans were whispering relegation fodder only a few months ago, haha shameful. Im sure top6 sides reading will be laughing.

#jokers

#sorrynotsorry

k thanks

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The reality is, for Leicester to have any hope of challenging for the top six again,  let alone consistently, we don't need one club to hit the skids - it'll only happen if theres a confluence of factors. Basically if the power of the top six is destabilised a bit, so they can't hoover up all the points quite so easily, then we stand a chance. 

I guess if theres a perfect storm of financial issues - if Man City and Chelsea get excluded from the transfer window and potentially suffer other penalties for their dodgy deals, if Abramovich sells, if Spurs are stymied by the cost of White Hart Lane 2, etc, etc, etc - then we could push for a sustainable place right up the table (but so could Wolves, Watford, etc).

But the chances of any of this happening are miniscule.

Replace... Man Utd 

They will probably change management again if next season dont start too well... ? 

It could well be a tighter closer gap next season.

Lets go on a trophy hunt... keep building, top 8... gotta be happy (realistic) with that... if it is close and we nick 2 or 3 higher places then great.

Confident we will be well balanced and improved next season ?

But.... guess that depends on IF..we get that euro preliminary rounds.. and then it could all unravel.... damned either way ? 

Go 4 it ?

Nobody if the current big clubs keep picking off our best players. Horrible state of affairs just killing off smaller clubs chances at every hurdle. Makes our title win that much sweeter. Our current 11 has all the hallmarks of a special side in my opinion, need to keep it intact.

• Like 1

On 04/04/2019 at 08:30, Simoken said:

I have to be brutally honest this thread is embarrassing, comments like Chelsea / Spurs in trouble because we are climbing for top6 is way farfetched to even be spoken about. Wasn't long ago when our fickle minded fans were whispering relegation fodder only a few months ago, haha shameful. Im sure top6 sides reading will be laughing.

#jokers

#sorrynotsorry

k thanks

I agree.

I wish the thread title read who would we replace, rather than will replace.  This is just fantasy.  The reality is we are in  a three way battle for seventh with West Ham and Everton close behind.  To win that group would be an amazing achievement but sixth, only one place further is a massive 14 points beyond that. 

There are a clutch of clubs that want to break the top sixth and have as much chance as we do and I'm sure that fans of West Brom and Stoke talked about the same thing until recently.

• Like 1