Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Cricket 2019

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/27641582/trevor-bayliss-calls-fewer-counties-better-pitches-bridge-huge-gap-international-level

Slams the fact there are too many counties, then goes on to whinge about Australia being too well-prepared for The Ashes because Labuschagne and Bancroft played Div 2 this summer! lol

He wants a reduction to 10, lets go further and reduce the number of counties to 2, then it would be the best 22 in the country.

Huge contradictions in the interview, county cricket isn’t a breeding ground for test cricketers yet Aussie players prepared so well playing? Yes you’ve guessed it county cricket.

Edited by Mark 'expert' Lawrenson
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

He wants a reduction to 10, lets go further and reduce the number of counties to 2, then it would be the best 22 in the country.

Huge contradictions in the interview, county cricket isn’t a breeding ground for test cricketers yet Aussie players prepared so well playing? Yes you’ve guessed it county cricket.

Yep. It's all a bit rich when they've spent the whole summer ignoring Div One's leading run scorer and persisted with Roy instead.

Maybe if centrally contracted players played a bit more county cricket we might find out whether they actually are the best we're producing...

• Like 1

Apologies if this has been discused before (haven't time to go back through 182 pages) ...

It's been a great summer of cricket.   The only shame ... most of it not being Live on normal TV, free-to-view, terrestrial, or whatever else you want to call it.  

The last Ashes Series to be on "free" TV was in 2005.   The peak audiences for the key games were about 8 million.  (average audiences for the whole day, were typically about 50% of the peak figures).

The 2009 series had a peak viewing of 1.9 million, whilst the 2013 series peak was only 1.3 million

(the average all day figures, were again in the same ratio as above ie typically 50%)

Since 2005, approximately 3/4 of the people interested in cricket have effectively been "dis-enfranchised" from watching it.   ok, that still leaves you the most fanatical 1/4 who have paid for Sky, but to put that into context.   It's like our home attendances going down from 32,000 to 8,000.    (I realise watching live and on TV isn't the same thing, but it's the numbers and ratios I'm getting at).

This season, when Sky shared with channel 4, the World Cup viewing figures peaked at 8.3 million.    Which is about the same as the 2005 figure, before it went to Sky.   Implying that about the same number of people are still interested in watching it - now, as they were 14 years ago.  

The sadness for me, is that by "losing" 3/4 of its interested public ... cricket no longer seems to be something people talk about in daily conversation.   A few die-hards still.   Me included.   It just no longer seems to be in most sports fans general conciousness?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

Apologies if this has been discused before (haven't time to go back through 182 pages) ...

It's been a great summer of cricket.   The only shame ... most of it not being Live on normal TV, free-to-view, terrestrial, or whatever else you want to call it.  

The last Ashes Series to be on "free" TV was in 2005.   The peak audiences for the key games were about 8 million.  (average audiences for the whole day, were typically about 50% of the peak figures).

The 2009 series had a peak viewing of 1.9 million, whilst the 2013 series peak was only 1.3 million

(the average all day figures, were again in the same ratio as above ie typically 50%)

Since 2005, approximately 3/4 of the people interested in cricket have effectively been "dis-enfranchised" from watching it.   ok, that still leaves you the most fanatical 1/4 who have paid for Sky, but to put that into context.   It's like our home attendances going down from 32,000 to 8,000.    (I realise watching live and on TV isn't the same thing, but it's the numbers and ratios I'm getting at).

This season, when Sky shared with channel 4, the World Cup viewing figures peaked at 8.3 million.    Which is about the same as the 2005 figure, before it went to Sky.   Implying that about the same number of people are still interested in watching it - now, as they were 14 years ago.  

The sadness for me, is that by "losing" 3/4 of its interested public ... cricket no longer seems to be something people talk about in daily conversation.   A few die-hards still.   Me included.   It just no longer seems to be in most sports fans general conciousness?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/40455556 

10 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Yep. It's all a bit rich when they've spent the whole summer ignoring Div One's leading run scorer and persisted with Roy instead.

Maybe if centrally contracted players played a bit more county cricket we might find out whether they actually are the best we're producing...

Bayliss never gave a shit about test cricket. 

You have to rewind a bit here  - County Cricket was perfectly fine in it's current guise when England were the top test team in the world not so long ago. What's changed since? 

Just now, Cardiff_Fox said:

You have to rewind a bit here  - County Cricket was perfectly fine in it's current guise when England were the top test team in the world not so long ago. What's changed since? 

Playing red ball cricket in April and the end of September isn't helping matters. Mediocre bowlers taking 5 fers in incredibly helpful conditions. 

17 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

We also won the World Cup with 18 counties.

Let’s get things in perspective here, we drew the ashes series, could of won the Edgbaston test if Anderson hadn’t played and things could of been a whole lot different, plus they had Steve Smith, who is phenomenal. It’s a knee jerk reaction to blame Country Cricket for England not winning the Ashes, and as I’ve said in a post above we won the World Cup where are the plaudits for the County game for that? Can’t have it both ways

• Like 1

Always happens before selection day doesn’t it! At least this time we are genuinely going into an experimental series where it doesn’t really matter what happens. 

Really interested to see what decisions Giles makes tomorrow... also as there is a week left of county champ I assume new coach won’t be announced tomorrow? Unless it’s someone none county related which goes against everything he’s said 

7 hours ago, Goober said:

Sibley's not having a bad week, another ton in the second innings for him. Billings and Joe Clarke hitting a few consecutive tons too. Few players staking claims..

Joe Clarke's form has been abysmal this season, should be nowhere near the England squad. Billings meanwhile is, imo, not a red ball player - has just hit somewhat of a purple patch. No doubt whatsoever that Sibley should be in though - sensational numbers this season. Read earlier also that his percentage of shots which are edges or misses is something like 11%, which in theory bodes very well for someone looking to move into the test arena as an opener. 

• Like 2

In preview of the team of test team to tour New Zealand, i'd take the following 15 players:

Burns, Sibley, Northeast, Root, Stokes, Pope, Foakes, Buttler, Curran, Archer, Broad, Leach, Crawley, Mahmood, Porter.

As the New Zealand series doesn't count towards the test championship, its a good opportunity to blood some players in form in the county game against similar conditions to the UK but with test standard bowling. No point taking Anderson even though he's fit to play might as well rest him and let Broad take the Leadership role, i've opted to drop Woakes as i'm on the opinion he's carrying an injury either in his back or thigh as as such didn't perform as well as we thought in the ashes.

However i don't think Ashley Giles would be as radical as myself i see him opting for the following:

Burns, Sibley, Root, Stokes, Pope, Buttler, Curran, Archer, Broad, Anderson, Woakes, Leach, Overton, Foakes, Denly

Who would people like to see called up to the Test team?

8 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

And what's Plunkett done wrong?!

Absolutely ridiculous decision, that. Can't see who is going to emulate his work in the middle overs - he is such a workhorse. Not only does he stem the flow of runs effectively, he also takes crucial wickets at key times. Can see why he's disappointed.