Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Cricket 2019

The weird sadistic way that our papers try to tear down our sports stars is utterly shameful. The bloke has pretty much won us a World Cup, and played one of the finest innings ever seen and instead of talking about that and building him up as an inspiration to young cricketers across the country, we’d rather air his very private and tragic family history in the news. Makes me sick to my stomach. Stop buying that ****ing rag if you still dare to do so. 

Edited by Manini

Awful story to report on and I'm genuinely surprised they have done that at this time without any consultation with the player at all.

John Etheridge must be horrified - he had a good relationship with the players as well by the sounds of it.

Edited by MattP

2 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

No surprise it's from the sun, yet they are the 2nd most read newspaper behind the daily hate...which is a pretty damning reflection on our country.

Don't forget The Guardian as well - the second highest read online paper that this week wrote one the most disgraceful editorial pieces ever seen in a British newspaper - attacking a political opponent and using the death of his disabled child to do so.

They withdrew and apologised but still haven't had the decency to let us know who wrote it.

I'm against press regulation as it's the hallmark of a free country not to have it but standards are seriously declining on these shores for many different reasons.

Edited by MattP

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

Pathetic attempt at a public interest defence from The Sun too, saying it's a matter of public record and yet billing their story as an "exclusive". Absolutely shameful.

He's had an incredible sporting summer and now he finds out a horrific, tragic incident from his family's past is plastered all over a newspaper. It's beyond belief in its insensitivity and crassness. 

There is no excuse for this at all. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Absolutely no idea why the Sun would publish that. Just shows a complete and utter lack of respect and decency. How they're allowed to do stuff like this is beyond me.

Exactly.

I feel a bit ashamed to have given them a "click" but I had to see what the fuss was about.

Just absolutely no need to run a story like that. Everyone in the world could have lived their lives perfectly well without knowing about that. The only people it truly affects is Ben Stokes' family.

Read the BBC's article on it and they've spoken to a Sun source who had this to say;

"The Sun has the utmost sympathy for Ben Stokes and his mother but it is only right to point out the story was told with the co-operation of a family member who supplied details, provided photographs and posed for pictures."

****ing bold of them to start claiming what is right and what isn't.

surely nobody is shocked by this. don’t even see the point in giving it the time of day. if people actually stopped buying and reading their shite then they could publish whatever they wanted because nobody would read it anyway. 

2 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

surely nobody is shocked by this. don’t even see the point in giving it the time of day. if people actually stopped buying and reading their shite then they could publish whatever they wanted because nobody would read it anyway. 

well that's just it ,plenty of people want to buy it even after stories like this or maybe even because of stories like this.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/27641582/trevor-bayliss-calls-fewer-counties-better-pitches-bridge-huge-gap-international-level

Slams the fact there are too many counties, then goes on to whinge about Australia being too well-prepared for The Ashes because Labuschagne and Bancroft played Div 2 this summer! lol