Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

Obviously this is a two-team league, but I really do think Tottenham and Arsenal are clearly the next best teams.  That doesn't mean they're locks for 3-4 but I'd expect it to end that way barring major injury disasters for either.

As for the bookies and Chelsea/Man U., they're just using perception to make profit.  They could finish 5-6 but they're no more likely to than the likes of LCFC or Everton.

4 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

There's something in the North London water...

lol Thanks for that. Forgot all about it. The most extreme example of mental gymnastics I've ever heard.

Makes me wonder how people like that can safely get through the day when they believe such insane nonsense. If I knew that person, I would consider getting them sectioned for their own good.

That Arsenal fan has to be a wind-up, surely? It's plain for anyone to see they won't be close to troubling Man City or Liverpool with the likes of Xhaka and Luiz in the team.

5 hours ago, davieG said:

But the bookmakers haven't changed their stance, pitching the Foxes as big outsiders to achieve a top six finish.

Not that City have a history of taking notice of the odds, but they are currently ninth favourites to achieve the feat, behind Everton and Wolves, as well as the traditional 'big boys'.

Take a look at the odds below.

Manchester City - 1/500

Liverpool - 1/250

Tottenham - 1/25

Arsenal - 1/12

Manchester United - 1/20

Chelsea - 1/16

Wolves - 6/1

Everton - 6/1

Leicester - 10/1

West Ham - 16/1

*Odds from Bet Victor and correct as of 5pm on 01/09/2019*

Surprised at some of those odds. Are we seriously more unlikely than Wolves? 5 points ahead of them already.

EDIT: My bad. Pre-season odds.

Edited by Dan LCFC

I did mention after the Wolves game how surprised I was by their park the bus antics. Maybe I didn't watch enough of them last season but I was expecting them to be a more footballing side. Against Everton all they did was hoof it. Against us they didn't want to get out of their own half. It will be interesting to see if they've learned how to beat bottom half teams this season. 

Wolves are good at switching the ball and they have some clever midfielders in Neves and Moutinho but I'm not impressed with their ball retention and creativity. Jimenez is basically fending for himself the poor fella.

Edited by Koke
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Saw this earlier and thought it was quite interesting:

Spurs kept doing it Arsenal earlier today and I has no idea why. They actually had their defenders even closer to the goalkeeper than we did, although they never got any benefit from it and it almost cost them a few times.

Thinking back to that Wolves match, after the first 15, Kasper's distribution was very good and he hit Ricardo and Chilwell consistently. So maybe there is some method to the madness after all... The more you know eh?

Very interesting! Thank you. That explains why Schmeichel's distribution was so saucy. It didn't work for Spurs probably because despite Lloris' many qualities, his distribution is not one of them.

8 hours ago, StanSP said:

That's not new? I've seen plenty of teams do that.

Last season the centrebacks would be a lot wider and outside the box when doing that, and the goalkeeper would have to push forward to the edge of the box, making passes to fullbacks harder as was less space for them. Now the fullbacks find a lot of space and we can effectively nullify a "full court press" with two or three forwards pressing the goalie and CBS.

10 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Last season the centrebacks would be a lot wider and outside the box when doing that, and the goalkeeper would have to push forward to the edge of the box, making passes to fullbacks harder as was less space for them. Now the fullbacks find a lot of space and we can effectively nullify a "full court press" with two or three forwards pressing the goalie and CBS.

Forwards will soon be told not to be tempted to press the edge of the box and allow the centre half to have it before making their move - that negates the easy pass to the full backs as illustrated above.  In the end, the best sides will get the most from the rule change as they have a little more space and time to move the ball around any pressing. I do wonder if clubs will at some point just say to the opposition - just bring it to the half way line - we aren’t engaging until you get there  .......

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

Forwards will soon be told not to be tempted to press the edge of the box and allow the centre half to have it before making their move - that negates the easy pass to the full backs as illustrated above.  In the end, the best sides will get the most from the rule change as they have a little more space and time to move the ball around any pressing. I do wonder if clubs will at some point just say to the opposition - just bring it to the half way line - we aren’t engaging until you get there  .......

I mean, the high press worked against Spurs yesterday. I'm not sure it's dead yet. 

Harry Wilson won MOTD2's goal of the month. 

It's a fantastic free kick but you see several of them throughout the season. Genuinely think Barnes and Vardy goals are better and much more difficult. And that's without trying to be biased... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

It's a fantastic free kick but you see several of them throughout the season. Genuinely think Barnes and Vardy goals are better and much more difficult. And that's without trying to be biased... 

Wouldn't have made the top 3 imo. Pukki, Barnes, Vardy and Neves were all better.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, StanSP said:

That's not new? I've seen plenty of teams do that.

Defenders weren’t allowed in the box from kick off last season but they are this. Here’s the exact change:

At goal-kicks or free-kicks, the ball will be considered in play as soon as it is touched, and not, as previously, only when it has left the penalty area.

Encroachment by players before the ball left the 18-yard box happened regularly as teams played the ball out from the back last season, and retakes were frequent. Pressure on goalies and defenders is now likely to increase, and fast attacking players could reap the benefit.

Seems like the change has been made to speed up the flow of the game as a direct response to teams playing a high press. 

32 minutes ago, StanSP said:

They said there was a technical problem, so instead of a public vote, Wright and Jenas would decide the winner. Then Wright said he had no say in it, so Nottingham-born Jenas decided.

Edited by Raw Dykes

30 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Defenders weren’t allowed in the box from kick off last season but they are this. Here’s the exact change:

At goal-kicks or free-kicks, the ball will be considered in play as soon as it is touched, and not, as previously, only when it has left the penalty area.

Encroachment by players before the ball left the 18-yard box happened regularly as teams played the ball out from the back last season, and retakes were frequent. Pressure on goalies and defenders is now likely to increase, and fast attacking players could reap the benefit.

Seems like the change has been made to speed up the flow of the game as a direct response to teams playing a high press. 

Nah I'm aware of the rule change. Just seen a lot of teams have centre backs in the box and the keeper shifts it out to the full back. I like that we do it but we're not the first to. 

7 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Arsenal's front 3 means they'll be a slight improvement on last season but the midfield they picked yesterday was revolting and their defence i'm not having one bit. We have a better defence and midfield.

Xhaka is a total liability and I'm not sure what exactly he offers. He's not a DM and other than a few Hollywood passes (many going astray) he isn't a good attacking outlet either. He's also a poor tackler, gives away possession easily and goes missing often.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Koke said:

Xhaka is a total liability and I'm not sure what exactly he offers. He's not a DM and other than a few Hollywood passes (many going astray) he isn't a good attacking outlet either. He's also a poor tackler, gives away possession easily and goes missing often.

Maybe he's very photogenic for the those Arsenal changing room iconic pictures.

I noticed he had a little curl of his hair on his forehead so perhaps a Superman in his other guise.

GettyImages-1171579856-e1567371909450.jpChristopher-Reeves-Superman-Hairstyle-Lo

12 hours ago, Corky said:

Manager of the Month nominees- Klopp, Guardiola and Rodgers surely will be there. Hodgson the other one? Winning at Man United will probably sway him over Pellegrini.

Klopp will take it, though.

Hodgson should win it to be fair. Palace have no right to be where they are four games in - he's even managed to get Jordan Bloody Ayew firing. Fair play.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Arsenal's front 3 means they'll be a slight improvement on last season but the midfield they picked yesterday was revolting and their defence i'm not having one bit. We have a better defence and midfield.

Think that's harsh on their midfield. Guendouzi looks quite tidy and Ceballos is decent. Our mids are better though. 

10 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Think that's harsh on their midfield. Guendouzi looks quite tidy and Ceballos is decent. Our mids are better though. 

The midfield they picked yesterday was abysmal mate. It would be like us picking Ndidi, Choudhury and Mendy. I am shocked they got anything out of the game with a midfield like that. I'm not saying they haven't got some good midfield players but the one they picked was baffling. Ceballos is very good and Willock could become a star this season but as I said I think we are stronger in defence and midfield than them and although I think they'll score more than us I think we could push them close this year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, davieG said:

Maybe he's very photogenic for the those Arsenal changing room iconic pictures.

I noticed he had a little curl of his hair on his forehead so perhaps a Superman in his other guise.

GettyImages-1171579856-e1567371909450.jpChristopher-Reeves-Superman-Hairstyle-Lo

You've obviously NEVER seen him play. Not a top 6 midfielder.

43 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

Hodgson should win it to be fair. Palace have no right to be where they are four games in - he's even managed to get Jordan Bloody Ayew firing. Fair play.

Hodgson is an outstanding premier league coach/manager. I can't believe some of the things said on here about him and seem to remember people sayig he'd be fired by September. He has continually taken below average premier teams and made them perform above average.

1 hour ago, BKLFox said:

http://www.skysports.com/share/11799564  

Why should they, same with Arsenal. Teams out of top 6 have to cope like this and rebuild season on season with players being poached and having to rely on youth etc, is this a case of Sky just getting the excuses in early if their beloved don't make top 6 this season? 

Chelsea have a transfer ban so I sympathise with Lampard. 

Solskjaer, no.

• Like 1