Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
wokinghamfox

What has happened to The Mercury

19 hours ago, Mythyaar said:

Bring back Bill Anderson :ph34r:

Got to know Bill a bit when he played in a pub quiz team out of the old Queen Victoria on Southampton St.

Pretty nice bloke but had a couple of weak links in his knowlede, as I remember - football and literature.

Enjoyed a large whiskey and cigar, though...

1 hour ago, Stoopid said:

Got to know Bill a bit when he played in a pub quiz team out of the old Queen Victoria on Southampton St.

Pretty nice bloke but had a couple of weak links in his knowlede, as I remember - football and literature.

Is he related to Anderson Perry?

31 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

What's the point of this article? You can bloody tell its summer and they have even less to write about  

Slightly harsh.

I, for one, am always up for reading an article about the inadequacies/delusions of our sheep-admiring neighbours to the north...

• Like 1

To the op? The Internet and our owners. Mandaric could not keep his mouth shut and loved to here his own voice. Sadly for us fans our great owners now do business the right way. 

We have struck a little lucky with Rodgers unlike Puel he likes to talk. If the merc get a story and like others if no story is available they print shite. 

4 hours ago, Stoopid said:

I know Bill very well, always enjoy his company although don't see him very often as he's retired and moved back to Scotland.

Never ever seen him smoke a cigar though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I know Bill very well, always enjoy his company although don't see him very often as he's retired and moved back to Scotland.

Never ever seen him smoke a cigar though.

Yeah - this is a long time ago I'm referencing. And yes, Bill was a very decent bloke. Might be wrong about the cigar, the whisky I do remember though, as I had to buy him a double when I queried one of his answers and he was proved right...

• Like 1

In its hayday the paper was pretty much the second official outlet for the club, with the other probably been the radio.

But because of the internet, its reach and the new generation of younger people the paper now will have to look for stories instead of people contacting it with stories, I expect that is a huge part of its decline.

It will be a forever downwards spirel because as they sell less and less copies, the advertising revenue will dip and they will have to charge more for each copy, which will further decline the printed copies distributed.

The website sadly like most newspaper sites is a mess, a big forced autoplay video, and other obstructive stuff.  I am also guessing the owner of the mercury seems to own all the local news sites, because if you browse other regional papers websites they have the exact same template/layout.

• Like 1

When did you last buy a Mercury? 

I think there's the answer why it's gone downhill. 

And why its webbased click bait and hearsay. 

Massive building on St Georges way. 

Journos, classified sales and printed under the same roof. Fleet of vans delivering to the newsagents etc. 

We used to get it delivered every night. 

Always checked in it for cars for sale, jobs, footy results, cinema times, births marriages and deaths, Sunday league scores and reports in "The Blue"

Now its a small office on new walk and printed god knows where. 

We get all we need from the palm of our hand now anyway. 

So when did you last but a Mercury? 

I can't honestly say the last one I bought. Probably the picture special after we won the league. 

I miss Bruciannis too but can't recall last time I went in there either. 

• Like 1

Remember the Sports Mercury on a Saturday evening/night? Think it was called The Buff???

A mustardy coloured newspaper with all the results, fixtures and tables of all the local football of every league and a report of that days LCFC game.

When did that disappear?

• Like 1

On 31/05/2019 at 10:12, UniFox21 said:

What's the point of this article? You can bloody tell its summer and they have even less to write about  

Eh? It's Gary Silke's regular opinion column.

16 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

In its hayday the paper was pretty much the second official outlet for the club, with the other probably been the radio.

But because of the internet, its reach and the new generation of younger people the paper now will have to look for stories instead of people contacting it with stories, I expect that is a huge part of its decline.

It will be a forever downwards spirel because as they sell less and less copies, the advertising revenue will dip and they will have to charge more for each copy, which will further decline the printed copies distributed.

The website sadly like most newspaper sites is a mess, a big forced autoplay video, and other obstructive stuff.  I am also guessing the owner of the mercury seems to own all the local news sites, because if you browse other regional papers websites they have the exact same template/layout.

Its owner does indeed run a large number of the sites, although far from all of them.

As for the paper having to "look for stories" themselves. Well, journalists have always done that. In fact, that's how they source the vast majority of their stories rather than unsolicited tips from the public. The problem is there are less resources available than there were for journalists to be able to properly devote time to the important stuff.

In fact, I'd argue the site of the Merc's new office would make it easier for members of the public to come forward with stories anyway as it's in a slightly more central location.

As an American, I found this article interesting. Just not done in the US, where access to team is much easier (sports stories relying on sources are usually broken by the local press, not national.) Although we had an embargo, share it out culture when I worked in Italy. https://www.theringer.com/sports/2019/5/29/18643311/uk-sportswriting-embargo-access-champions-league-independent

• Like 1

On 26/05/2019 at 20:45, wokinghamfox said:

Reports from the Mercury stating the words ' according to reports'. Most of their news is coming via agencies. 

It used to be an accurate source of factual news, this seems to have gone completely down the pan. Do they actually talk to the club to really establish what is going on. 

Completely lost faith in what used to be the LCFC oracle. Is it just me?

Agreed, lost in faith in the 'Merc' long ago. It's obvious there are no proof readers and as for being a source for of factual news that too has long disappeared. Just trying reading the online edition, you are beleaguered by pop up adverts left right and centre. And things won't change instead it'll just get worse. The 'Leicester Mercury', once the city's favourite newspaper, R.I.P.

15 hours ago, ElusiveEd said:

Remember the Sports Mercury on a Saturday evening/night? Think it was called The Buff???

A mustardy coloured newspaper with all the results, fixtures and tables of all the local football of every league and a report of that days LCFC game.

When did that disappear?

Grew up reading the 'Buff' on a Saturday evening. It was a Leicester institution for years, appearing shortly after the match, the copy obviously filed as the whistle went - or before.

It featured a cartoon (by 'RAP'), showing a 'typical' City fan (middle-aged and world-weary in keeping with the times) reacting to the days' result. He had a long-suffering dog called 'Stoopid' who often bore the brunt of another home defeat...

Don't know why I went with that name myself, but there it is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David Hankey said:

Agreed, lost in faith in the 'Merc' long ago. It's obvious there are no proof readers and as for being a source for of factual news that too has long disappeared. Just trying reading the online edition, you are beleaguered by pop up adverts left right and centre. And things won't change instead it'll just get worse. The 'Leicester Mercury', once the city's favourite newspaper, R.I.P.

Hardly. There's still plenty of good reporting, news-wise, that goes on there, even if some of the clickbaity football stuff makes you want to throw up in disgust.

6 hours ago, David Hankey said:

I’ve not heard of a newspaper that has had a proof reader for about a decade! Remember everything goes online first and as quick as possible to maximise clicks.

Pretty sure all Reach journalists hate Reach websites themselves. They’re built on an adverts first basis and centrally done so locally they have no choice.

There’s plenty of good journalism in there in terms of news and in this bizarre fake news era it’s more important than ever. It just gets lost in bizarre dogging stories from down south which sadly gets more clicks.

• Like 1

The article mentions 7 definite starters for lcfc next season, assuming nobody leaves

Schmeichel, Ricardo, Evans, Chilwell, N'Didi, Maddison, Vardy

It's a bit of a messy article.

"We take a look at the names certain to be on Brendan Rodgers' team sheet next season as things stand."

"You may notice the absence of Maguire on this list and make no mistake, if he's still around, he will start, but his future isn't as guaranteed as his defensive partner at this stage in the summer, despite the Foxes being keen to keep hold of him."

• 2 weeks later...