Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
wokinghamfox

What has happened to The Mercury

On 31/05/2019 at 09:20, Stoopid said:

Got to know Bill a bit when he played in a pub quiz team out of the old Queen Victoria on Southampton St.

Pretty nice bloke but had a couple of weak links in his knowlede, as I remember - football and literature.

Enjoyed a large whiskey and cigar, though...

Great pub ! ...   used it after snooker before moving on to a night club ...   the cops were in the building opposite for ages with surveillance set up 24/7 to monitor all the drug deals going on .....     :)

3 hours ago, Countryfox said:

Great pub ! ...   used it after snooker before moving on to a night club ...   the cops were in the building opposite for ages with surveillance set up 24/7 to monitor all the drug deals going on .....     :)

Blimey - now you tell me!

• Haha 2

On ‎26‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 21:52, stripeyfox said:

haven't brought a Mercury in 20 years and even clicking on their website is likely to induce a seizure from all the pop ups, surveys and ads. Irrelevant. Avoid

this

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/harry-maguires-future-youri-tielemans-3060626

Rob Tanner has just announced he’s left the Mercury. Gutted :( Both the decent Merc journos gone now.

When I started they were just returning to the Championship and it has been an incredible time covering the club.

I have experienced so much, from the play-off heartaches to the promotion parties, the great escape to the title win, the Champions League adventure to the helicopter tragedy. It has been quite extraordinary and I feel privileged to have had the opportunity to document this astonishing period in the club’s history for the local paper.

On that note it feels fitting to now say goodbye as I leave the Mercury to pursue a new challenge.

I leave behind some great colleagues at the Mercury and at LCFC.

I won’t be going far and you will still see me at City games, but for now, thank you and good luck City.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, brucey said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/harry-maguires-future-youri-tielemans-3060626

Rob Tanner has just announced he’s left the Mercury. Gutted :( Both the decent Merc journos gone now.

When I started they were just returning to the Championship and it has been an incredible time covering the club.

I have experienced so much, from the play-off heartaches to the promotion parties, the great escape to the title win, the Champions League adventure to the helicopter tragedy. It has been quite extraordinary and I feel privileged to have had the opportunity to document this astonishing period in the club’s history for the local paper.

On that note it feels fitting to now say goodbye as I leave the Mercury to pursue a new challenge.

I won’t be going far and you will still see me at City games, but for now, thank you and good luck City.

I bet he’s going to the UK version of The Athletic that’s launching. It’s a paid for sports service that’s been in America for a few years now.

It was only 20 years a go when your only means of info was BBC RL bulletins, the Mercury and painstakingly waiting on Ceefax Sport updates whilst playing Bamboozle for the 100th time!

I think tonight sums up where the problems for them are..

We had a pic of YT on a plane and we tracked his every footstep here on a free community forum run by people just 100% focused on Leicester City. 

People at the Mercury are probably too busy checking click bait stats and lining up new click bait contracts. 

Edited by Collymore
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, brucey said:

I notice a Tamworth man - and not a City fan by birth - still (correctly) refers to us as 'City'.....unlike a certain broadcasting clown who seems to think 'foxes' is our everyday name.

Anyhow, thank you and good luck to Rob Tanner. It can't be easy working for a local newspaper anymore and I hope he lands himself a 'proper' journalism job elsewhere

• Like 3

The main issue seems to have been summed up in here.

There are now sources such as FT where you can get 'decent' info, be kept more up to date and have discussions rather than waiting and relying on the merc.

That combined with their need to churn out rubbish irrelevant of there actually being any news has brought the paper down in credibility. 

Hopefully losing 2 of their best journos can be a wake up call

On 26/05/2019 at 20:45, wokinghamfox said:

Reports from the Mercury stating the words ' according to reports'. Most of their news is coming via agencies. 

It used to be an accurate source of factual news, this seems to have gone completely down the pan. Do they actually talk to the club to really establish what is going on. 

Completely lost faith in what used to be the LCFC oracle. Is it just me?

Shit website full of adverts too 

1 hour ago, koop. said:

Shit website full of adverts too 

Yep, really don’t get the logic here, the only way they will survive is to have decent content on a decent website, if they atleast halved the advertising and didn’t have sh*te popping out at you every two seconds they’d get much more visitors imo and more visitors = more revenue. Something drastically has to change at the Mercury (same applies for all the trinity/local papers) or they won’t be around in 5 years time 

• Like 1

On 05/07/2019 at 20:52, Wymeswold fox said:

Thanks.

Even though it's an innovative idea, this just seems to have spoilt the history of the building a bit.

The floor they used to occupy us now used by a music company. The building itself has other companies renting office space and is owned by DMGT. 

They need to go back to basics.

Temporarily make it free circulation delivered to every door.

After people get used to it, try to charge for it again but at reasonable pricing, 10 copies sold at 20p is better than 1 at 85p.

Also sort out the website so its content not a animated billboard.

Great shame and probably a sign of the times. Local newspapers are dieing on their knees.

It would be interesting to establish why Rob is going or is it a case of more cost cutting to kerp the business viable.

The likelyhood is that there will be a single reporter working for Reach Plc who will be charged to cover a number of clubs for multiple titles. So Rob if you are reading this it would be good to hear your take on it as I cant see us getting a lot of good club news moving forward now.

On 03/06/2019 at 07:54, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

As an American, I found this article interesting. Just not done in the US, where access to team is much easier (sports stories relying on sources are usually broken by the local press, not national.) Although we had an embargo, share it out culture when I worked in Italy. https://www.theringer.com/sports/2019/5/29/18643311/uk-sportswriting-embargo-access-champions-league-independent

I notice this all the time, too.

Perhaps I notice this a little more acutely living in the NYC metro area, where press coverage is relentless (even with cutbacks in traditional media outlets).

Reporters are at every practice they can get to. Even in the NHL, which is the least popular of the “Big 4” leagues, there are multiple reporters at every New York Rangers practice tweeting what line combinations the team is using, and who’s missed practice and why (sometimes it’s a “maintenance day,” but if it’s an injury, they’ll break that scoop).

If there’s ever a feud with the press, what happens here makes Pearson’s spat with Stringer look like child’s play. The Knicks and the Daily News have pretty much been locked in a very public battle for a while now (and you should see how the Knicks’ inept management is pilloried by the press, sports talk radio, TV, and blogs here). Two weeks ago, the Mets’ manager and one of their relief pitchers threatened to beat up a Newsday reporter in their clubhouse, and the team held a brief media session (in addition to their regular pre-game press conference) to address this PR disaster.

If anything is going on—whether a running back for the Jets is sitting out reps in practice due to a tight hamstring, the Rangers are going to scratch one of their top forwards, or the Yankees are going to pull the trigger on a trade—the local press knows about it.

Put putting aside the disparity in access between the US local media and English outlets, Leicester’s local media seems completely shut out, even relative to other cities. Percy from the Telegraph, and Tanner (edit: err, Dorsett ... what a brain cramp from me) from Sky to some extent, are the only reporters that are clued in.

BBC Radio Leicester has effectively been shut out by the club, and also outmanouvered by the club by LCFC Radio.

The Merc has no access, breaks no news, and is at best bordering on irrelevance for current events. Everything from their reporting to the Live Q&A’s is going on conjecture and second-hand sources. It seems like the one recent time when they had any serious ins was when Mandaric took over the club, but the paper seemed so desperate to keep in good regards with the ownership that they effectively let themselves be used as a PR outlet for Mandaric’s positive spin. Marlow knew some ins and outs, but he knew the score about where the Merc was headed, so when he left the paper, it was no surprise. The Merc’s ownership has clearly decided that beat reporting of the biggest sports club in the city is not worth the expense.

Edited by Jordan
Fixed some typos (but probably missed a few, too)
  • Like 3

On 05/07/2019 at 20:52, Wymeswold fox said:

Thanks.

Even though it's an innovative idea, this just seems to have spoilt the history of the building a bit.

I dunno, it gives a pretty good impression of visiting the Mercury website nowadays. A noisy mess of limbs and god-knows what flying around left-right-and-centre, with the constant nagging thought in the back of your mind - "what the hell am I doing here?" :ph34r:

• Haha 1