Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
wokinghamfox

What has happened to The Mercury

19 hours ago, Jordan said:

I don't know what reach plc is but that site is pure cancer.

40 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

I don't know what reach plc is but that site is pure cancer.

They're the parent company for the Merc and the Manchester Evening News (along with every other newspaper which has a website that looks exactly like that), which suggests the cancer has reached Stage IV.

14 minutes ago, Jordan said:

They're the parent company for the Merc and the Manchester Evening News (along with every other newspaper which has a website that looks exactly like that), which suggests the cancer has reached Stage IV.

Also own the Daily Mirror, formerly Trinity Mirror. 

On 08/07/2019 at 05:53, wokinghamfox said:

Great shame and probably a sign of the times. Local newspapers are dieing on their knees.

It would be interesting to establish why Rob is going or is it a case of more cost cutting to kerp the business viable.

The likelyhood is that there will be a single reporter working for Reach Plc who will be charged to cover a number of clubs for multiple titles. So Rob if you are reading this it would be good to hear your take on it as I cant see us getting a lot of good club news moving forward now.

Not likely. Football journalists is the one area where they're massively recruiting (they've just taken on 10 more to cover Liverpool alone). It may be so with other newspaper owners, but not with Reach.

Anyway, a bit more on Rob Tanner's move...

https://www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk/2019/news/more-football-journalists-leave-roles-as-new-project-gears-up-for-launch/

What Leicester could use is a competition for the Mercury in some shape or form, even if it's just online (to keep the costs down).

Make some stories open for everyone, make the best ones available at a small fee, either on an individual basis or free once you buy a full-year subscription.

Put more emphasis on quality journalism, better sports coverage and distance yourselves from clickbait stories and newspapers close to 80% full of advertisements.

There is a way, even in a relatively small county such as Leicestershire, but few are going it. So far.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/markdistefano/athletic-hiring-spree

Laurie Whitwell also gone, among a whole load of other high profile journos.

Do people think this is sustainable? I wouldn’t really want to pay £50 a year for this stuff. 

By getting Sam Lee and Ornstein they are probably going to get loads of big club supporters to subscribe though.

Would anyone here subscribe if Percy joined and they essentially created a monopoly on LCFC breaking news?

25 minutes ago, brucey said:

Do people think this is sustainable? I wouldn’t really want to pay £50 a year for this stuff. 

By getting Sam Lee and Ornstein they are probably going to get loads of big club supporters to subscribe though.

Would anyone here subscribe if Percy joined and they essentially created a monopoly on LCFC breaking news?

Yeah but all you need is one person to subscribe and either copy and paste the article on here. 

18 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

Yeah but all you need is one person to subscribe and either copy and paste the article on here. 

That was my thought too. A few minutes after any properly breaking news comes out, it would be screenshotted and shared all over Twitter etc. But despite that, 100k still seems like an achievable number of subscribers, as really only a small proportion of fans actually use Twitter/fan forums. Guess we will see.

The Athletic seems to be working in America. I follow American Football and they pinched a load of top local journalists  for that including one I follow. The articles look to be of a higher quality and make you want to read - but then I never have subscribed to read them either.

I’m sceptical, but we’ll see. Hopefully at the very least it will encourage better journalism in local papers and less clickbait. As @Voll Blau said, we’re already seeing a reaction of sorts in what they’re trying at the Liverpool Echo.

Maybe their biggest recruitment might be a load of lawyers to threaten Foxes Talk when someone copy and pasted one of their articles.

12 hours ago, brucey said:

12 hours ago, brucey said:

That was my thought too. A few minutes after any properly breaking news comes out, it would be screenshotted and shared all over Twitter etc. But despite that, 100k still seems like an achievable number of subscribers, as really only a small proportion of fans actually use Twitter/fan forums. Guess we will see.

From what I've read about the way The Athletic operates, they're not really interested in breaking news (i.e. transfer stories and stuff) and prefer more in-depth pieces - exclusive stuff people think is worth paying for. They're clearly throwing serious money around to tempt so many good writers away from regional and national newspapers where they have long-established reputations. It's a huge gamble, but it'd be a good thing for sports journalism in this country if it does pay off.

I think this expansion is as much geared towards getting more American subscribers who are interested in England football as it is about building an audience here.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Winchesterfox said:

? 2014?  Quality journalism.  Easy mistake to make though, given how many football teams a Leicester paper has to cover.   And it's not as if anything happened that season.

Single handedly kept us from going down....

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brendan-rodgers-untouchables-shows-just-3252493.amp?__twitter_impression=true

This seems like such a pointless article. He lists 8 players who are the best we have in each position, so naturally they'll be starters. But none are "untouchable".

Such a stupid article 

Also, two of them didn't play last weekend! I know they were injured, but niggles are one of the things that keep you from being untouchable.

• 1 month later...
Guest Eamonn

Just deleted my link to the Mercury.  it's as bad as NewsNow. Full of stories about players who've left City, stale rumours and non-stories.

Bring back Bill Anderson!

2 hours ago, Eamonn said:

Just deleted my link to the Mercury.  it's as bad as NewsNow. Full of stories about players who've left City, stale rumours and non-stories.

Bring back Bill Anderson!

He wouldn't have a choice about that kind of content appearing online either. These strategy decisions aren't made at New Walk.

As I've said before, the Mercury in print still offers the best City stories without the clickbait shite. If you want good journalism, buy the paper...

2 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

He wouldn't have a choice about that kind of content appearing online either. These strategy decisions aren't made at New Walk.

As I've said before, the Mercury in print still offers the best City stories without the clickbait shite. If you want good journalism, buy the paper...

Rob Tanner since moving to The Athletic has been awesome

• Like 1