Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
broughtonblue

4th highest racist arrests

2 hours ago, ian_marshall said:

I'd be intrigued to see what specifically was requested as part of the freedom of information request and the data that was actually provided.

Questions that automatically spring to my mind are things like, are all offences recorded in the same way across differing police forces?, what methods were used to identify arrested individuals as a supporter of a particular club?, did the request extend as far as to include both home and away fans?, does the data include European arrests? (which might skew the data as they could be automatically filed as racist by default), do arrests made at international games form part of this dataset? 

I'm not suggesting that racism isn't rife amongst football fans, however the fact that the article is so vague means that it comes across as click bait rather than being a well researched piece of journalism offering genuine insight into such matters. 

Agree with the comments here - arrests not necessarily correlating to number of offences. Stupid comments like 'topping the table' and 'Leeds, Millwall joint 2nd' - click-bait indeed.  

Awful that it exists in 2019. Ive never understood any racists or what drives people, the only conclusion I get to is envy.

Leicester is indeed very diverse and like said someone above I’ve always thought that we were quite accepting as a city. 

However, remember after the migration influx many left the city but will still support the club. Hence why the EDL marches are rather large in Leicester.

6 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Actually this is valid, the only time I've ever had another malicious said to me with regards to race was in Leicester 

Shockingly true to those that haven't experienced what I have.  I've mentioned that many times.  

Leicester although changing is quite a polarised and segregated city Interms of race.  Funnily enough I grew in a predominantly white area of Leicester and had white friends, and I would often get abused by brown people for being with white people....they called me coconut lol

54 minutes ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

Awful that it exists in 2019. Ive never understood any racists or what drives people, the only conclusion I get to is envy.

Leicester is indeed very diverse and like said someone above I’ve always thought that we were quite accepting as a city. 

However, remember after the migration influx many left the city but will still support the club. Hence why the EDL marches are rather large in Leicester.

I think there are so many driving factors, hate, peer pressure etc but, i believe the main driver is power over another human being and maybe that's something that's built into the human survival instinct and hence why it will always be a problem when races mix. 

11 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

This makes it sound like telling the ref / steward of captain is a bad thing? 

Racism is a blight not just in football but within the the world. Abusing someone simply because of the colour of their skin or racial ethnicity is one of the worst things any human being can do and it simply has no place in modern society.

Whilst I admire Impey for not letting this behaviour from his own club's fans get the better of him, players should not have to put up with this sort of behaviour. Football is perhaps one of the ways that racism can slowly be reduced or eradicated over many years and I for one would have zero issue with a player making a formal complaint or even if a team walked off. There are some things that are more important than sport.

Bang on the money. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

That's an interesting topic.  I grew up in Burton which is almost as racially diverse as Leicester then went to uni in Leicester and never really saw any racism in either (but then again I am white so maybe didn't notice it as a young white boy/student) but moved to Scotland as a young adult and what struck me was just how white it is up here.  It feels weid and alien and I miss a more culturally/racially diverse area.  I don't even think I realised I lived in a mixed area growing up it was just what I thought everywhere was like.  Since living here I feel like I have heard more racist/small minded views than I did down south (although I may just have notced them more?) and always put it down to it being less racially diverse but a friend of mine of Pakistani descent from Glasgow says she experieces much more racism down south in more diverse areas so maybe I am wrong.  Either way it's a depressing world we live in at times.  I think we all probably know that racism in football never went away we just got better at hiding it or ignoring it and the spike recently is probably two fold..... 1) We are better at reporting/trying to crack down. 2) National and international politcal situations have made bigots braver and louder.  I am sorry to hear you still have to put up with racist abuse in 2019.  

X

I think you're right on both points.

As other said, I presume that the arrests are due to people more willing to denounce racist abuse than in other stadiums. Stats without context can be double-edged and can be twisted either way.

As for the latter, there is an undeniable correlation between political speeches and the liberalization of (loud) bigotry. We're hearing things from government officials across Europe and the USA which would have been unthinkable 10-15 years ago. I'm living in Germany and the AfD's progress is giving me shivers. There is a more than noticeable societal slide towards the "alt-right thinking" (not sure if it's the correct denomination) due to the difficulty for some people to adjust to the massive changes caused by the globalization and its unavoidable collateral damages, at every level. Add to that international terrorism and the recent migrant crisis and you got an explosive cocktail, bound to go off at some point. From a historical standpoint, I'd say that it's the foreseeable reaction against the revolution that globalization was and I don't think that we've seen the worst of it, yet. But I might be wrong.

My apologies if this point has been made, but a big part of my working life is Child Protection and my working world is divided into districts of the UK. We are not concerned about the districts that have several complaints that are being investigated because it means they are taking CP seriously. We are very concerned about those that report zero. 

My immediate thought is that what might be happening here. 

14 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

All that article really means is we have the 4th most efficient police force for catching racist fans. If there were no police to catch and arrest them,  they'd be no racists, according to data. 

By that logic, the Met in the Millwall area are amazing!

48 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

By that logic, the Met in the Millwall area are amazing!

It’s true though, it’s how the powers that be twist reality. Take coppers off the streets of London and there’s no crime, put coppers on the streets of Ipswich and all of a sudden it’s the most violent city in the uk.

Not surprised really. 70/80's we was probably one of the leaders and that don't go away. Ain't no black in the union Jack and nigger nigger lick my boots where common chants in pen 2/3.

Bnp supporting skinheads were at the front until the BS came along. 

We are and have been far from perfect. Blue tinted specs comes to mind. 

2 hours ago, sylofox said:

Not surprised really. 70/80's we was probably one of the leaders and that don't go away. Ain't no black in the union Jack and nigger nigger lick my boots where common chants in pen 2/3.

Bnp supporting skinheads were at the front until the BS came along. 

We are and have been far from perfect. Blue tinted specs comes to mind. 

As someone who was there, standing in amongst the throng and occasionally joining in (peer pressure - if you didn’t, a thug would call you out) - it’s the one thing I’ve done in my life I regret the most ......sad that my football club should be associated with that on a personal level ......

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Good to see a sensible discussion on this thread. :ph34r: 

But just a day or so after the headline, release main stream media not even mentioning it. In fact only mentioning it in passing on a few hourly news bulletins for a few seconds.  Ironic from broadcasters that have been so outspoken promoting the anti racist bandwagon recently. Perhaps they see it for what it is, click bait with no real substance to the "facts/ statistics"?

Or does it just go to prove they report what they want when it suits them? 

My nephew told me that when he went to see the the fa cup quarter final against chelsea that someone a seat bleow from him kept shouting the n word whenever victor moses touched the ball. He said it was in sk4 I think.

Me personally haven't seen any rasism from our fans although have from the away end. Although I havent had a season ticket since 13/14 so I wouldn't know if it's increased since we've come up.

On 18/06/2019 at 11:28, brucey said:

I've had more racism directed towards me in Leicester than in several far less diverse cities combined. I'm not sure there's a correlation, but I can see how having discrete racial groups in the same place can make it worse.

We aren't that discrete compared to some other towns and cities, afaik at least.

On 18/06/2019 at 18:15, Dr The Singh said:

Shockingly true to those that haven't experienced what I have.  I've mentioned that many times.  

Leicester although changing is quite a polarised and segregated city Interms of race.  Funnily enough I grew in a predominantly white area of Leicester and had white friends, and I would often get abused by brown people for being with white people....they called me coconut lol

Have you been to Oldham?

Seriously though, when we won the title I didn't see a polarised city. And when we celebrated on Viccy park, I saw everyone together sharing the joy.

I'm not saying Leicester doesn't have issues with racism, but the rapidity of the changes are bound to promote clustering (nr places of worship, community resources etc), we see that in many of the great cities of the world. And there are many mixed areas inbetween those more notably unmixed (and higher profile?) areas  I'm not sure that geographical polarisation is the same as psychological polarisation anyway.

• Like 1

On 18/06/2019 at 09:01, Swan Lesta said:

... some drunk white imbecile shouts something stupid ...

Be interesting to see the stats for arrests alone by club and by offence.

And it turns out to be Thracian arrested 14 times.

• Haha 2

Well remember the racist chanting and banana throwing in the 1980s. Brainless Neanderthals the lot of them.

Then about 1990 it suddenly disappeared.

I wouldn't worry about City being fourth highest for arrests.

Probably all it means is that racist activists, who often have nothing to do with the city, deliberately target Leicester because of the size of the ethnic population. What they want is to set one person against another, in an effort to create aggravation and strife. And they will then say this country needs a strong leader, their leader, who has an answer to the problem they have done their utmost to create.

What concerns me is that racism seems to be on the increase generally.

In a few weeks we are quite likely to have a Prime Minister who has called black people piccaninnies, made offensive comments about letterboxes, recited a poem by Rudyard Kipling in a Buddhist temple, and written a poem about the Scots being vermin.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dr The Singh said:

Not for about 20 years.  

I've heard it is a lot worse, although mostly that is hearsay. Of course comparing us to a town with known issues doesn't really mean that much.

It is hard for those of us who pass for 'locals' (even if like me you come from immigrant stock), to know what gets said to those who visibly have different heritage, unless we witness it.

Hats off to commenters on the thread, FT still has the ability to surprise.

• Like 1