Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

2019/20 Under 23's, U19's, Development ... thread

Guest An Sionnach
1 minute ago, OadbyBlue said:

Not always, Choudhury didn’t break through till what 20? Chilwell at a similar age 

Thing is these young players will run their contracts down and leave for nowt if they are not offered any chance of progress. Not putting Hamza on the bench for every match is dangerous , he will go straight into the match team for a lot of premiership clubs..

Eppiah simply needs to stay fit and he will work his way in to the reckoning, he is very capable. I'd get him out on loan in January, his ability with both feet means he can play either side of Vardy too which would be a huge asset in the next year or so.

• Like 1

Just now, Ric Flair said:

Eppiah simply needs to stay fit and he will work his way in to the reckoning, he is very capable. I'd get him out on loan in January, his ability with both feet means he can play either side of Vardy too which would be a huge asset in the next year or so.

Eppiah, Hirst, G. Thomas, Dewsbury-Hall, Ughelumba, Leshabela all looked very good, and some of them hopefully will get loans this January. Muskwe looked better than usual. I have no idea what has happened to Johnson -- he was pure bomb scare, and was lucky not have picked up a yellow on several occasions. Reghba seemed raw; I know he is coming off a knock, but I am still unsure of him.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Eppiah, Hirst, G. Thomas, Dewsbury-Hall, Ughelumba, Leshabela all looked very good, and some of them hopefully will get loans this January. Muskwe looked better than usual. I have no idea what has happened to Johnson -- he was pure bomb scare, and was lucky not have picked up a yellow on several occasions. Reghba seemed raw; I know he is coming off a knock, but I am still unsure of him.

I think Hirst and Eppiah need loan moves. Muskwe I'm not sure will ever be good enough for our level but definitely has a future in professional football. You could make a case for 6 or 7 of these to get loan moves and then promote a few from the U18's but the club never seem to serious about doing that. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I think Hirst and Eppiah need loan moves. Muskwe I'm not sure will ever be good enough for our level but definitely has a future in professional football. You could make a case for 6 or 7 of these to get loan moves and then promote a few from the U18's but the club never seem to serious about doing that. 

Well, it can be hit and miss -- Ndukwu is floundering, and even Hamza didn't really make an impact at Burton. But looking at the first team players not even making the bench for cup games, I just don't think there is currently an "in club" route to the first team. Although if some of those not ever making the 18 (eg. Mendy, Armartey) move on in January, and we make an FA Cup run, that might change.

However, some of the development squad are training with the first team each week, so I guess they are in a position to impress.

• Like 1

Guest An Sionnach

Most of the time we have too many players and this loan system is getting out of hand , you have to throw young players in at the deep end. If players like Eppiah and Hirst have not made it here by the age of 21 then its time for them to move down a couple of levels and make their careers there. Of course if Evans and Vardy get long term injuries at the same time everybody on here will panic and say we haven't got a big enough squad.

I wouldn’t push players on loan before they’re ready and before we’ve found a good club for them. But a few look decent enough. Eppiah, Hirst, Luke Thomas. The point about Eppiah’s return from injury is a good one: we may want to monitor him for a while.

1 hour ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Well, it can be hit and miss -- Ndukwu is floundering, and even Hamza didn't really make an impact at Burton. But looking at the first team players not even making the bench for cup games, I just don't think there is currently an "in club" route to the first team. Although if some of those not ever making the 18 (eg. Mendy, Armartey) move on in January, and we make an FA Cup run, that might change.

However, some of the development squad are training with the first team each week, so I guess they are in a position to impress.

Hamza was great at Burton the first year!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Agreed, the problem is we haven't had a player go straight from academy to first team since Andy King.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Agreed, the problem is we haven't had a player go straight from academy to first team since Andy King.

I’m being pedantic but Joe Dodo’s league cup exploits?

I’m not sure Bren will be willing to be an academy graduate straight in the first team tbh - has he done that elsewhere?

40 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

I’m being pedantic but Joe Dodo’s league cup exploits?

I’m not sure Bren will be willing to be an academy graduate straight in the first team tbh - has he done that elsewhere?

He did it a fair bit at Liverpool. You're technically right with Dodoo and Josh Knight but they both were then out on loan and either didn't of haven't made another appearance since.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shane said:

Wonder if Knight will get a chance next season as a squad player. In my opinion he's still our best prospect. 

His versatility surely means he will. I'd imagine Amartey will be off and Knight can cover all of the positions big Dan can (CB, RB. CM).

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Stadt said:

His versatility surely means he will. I'd imagine Amartey will be off and Knight can cover all of the positions big Dan can (CB, RB. CM).

Yeah that's got to be something that works in his favour, my only slight worry is that at Peterborough they've never really played him as a defender and in midfield he's never going to get a chance with us not when you have the likes of Choudhury and Praet not getting much of a sniff. 

7 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Yeah that's got to be something that works in his favour, my only slight worry is that at Peterborough they've never really played him as a defender and in midfield he's never going to get a chance with us not when you have the likes of Choudhury and Praet not getting much of a sniff. 

That’s my worry. About a season back we had centre halves coming out our arse and we converted him to a midfielder because of his excellent ball playing skills. Now the one thing we need is a centre half... He’s third place DM and fifth place CM. Honestly we’d be better loaning him to solid Championship club who need a ball playing centre half... if we can find one. Edit: and he’s injured.

Edited by Foxxed
  • Like 1