Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

2019/20 Under 23's, U19's, Development ... thread

45 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

He is not a striker and the media hype would be ignored by hard - bitten scouts watching him . Every aspect of his defensive and attacking play would be assessed. Strikers are only judged by their ability to put the ball in the net. Michael Owen was a very average footballer but a brilliant striker. He made his debut at 16 I think.

Chilwell has been linked with everyone and his auntie for astronomical fees, Chelsea being the latest in a long line of suitors, if he goes it wouldn't be for far off the £80m mark.  I don't really understand the point your trying to make here.  Yes, in  a general sense strikers/attackers cost more as there are less of them and they do the hardest thing there is to do in football which is scoring and creating chances but maligning Leicester somewhat for not producing strikers is a bit spoiled given the quality of young players you are bringing through across the board.

17 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

There is an asset value consideration here and this applies particularly to strikers. Rashford's value is at least 80 million and even Greenwood would be 50 million. A young player who scores goals quickly becomes extremely valuable. If say Muskwe came off the bench and scored for us his value would jump five fold immediately , if he did it again it would be ten fold.

That's not necessarily true. They have to show that they can do it consistently. take Joe Dodoo for example. came into the side in ablaze of glory was going to be the next big thing etc etc. would anyone seriously put an academy player in for Vardy or Nacho in their current form. The early rounds of the cups, pre season, or dead rubbers at the end of a season are the times to blood these guys. The old adage "good enough - old enough" will always apply. If these guys are good enough they will get their chance. If not, other clubs lower down the pecking order will still be scouting them in the u23s etc. and they may get their chances elsewhere

• Like 2

Guest An Sionnach
1 minute ago, henrik_62 said:

Chilwell has been linked with everyone and his auntie for astronomical fees, Chelsea being the latest in a long line of suitors, if he goes it wouldn't be for far off the £80m mark.  I don't really understand the point your trying to make here.  Yes, in  a general sense strikers/attackers cost more as there are less of them and they do the hardest thing there is to do in football which is scoring and creating chances but maligning Leicester somewhat for not producing strikers is a bit spoiled given the quality of young players you are bringing through across the board.

No I am not criticizing us for not producing players, we have a potent U23 team, its the lack of fastracking that concerns me. Arguably Barnes should have gone straight into the squad not being loaned to West Brom and then recalled, his ability should have been obvious.

7 minutes ago, urban fox said:

That's not necessarily true. They have to show that they can do it consistently. take Joe Dodoo for example. came into the side in ablaze of glory was going to be the next big thing etc etc. would anyone seriously put an academy player in for Vardy or Nacho in their current form. The early rounds of the cups, pre season, or dead rubbers at the end of a season are the times to blood these guys. The old adage "good enough - old enough" will always apply. If these guys are good enough they will get their chance. If not, other clubs lower down the pecking order will still be scouting them in the u23s etc. and they may get their chances elsewhere

This is it in a nutshell.

10 minutes ago, urban fox said:

Europa League for teams like Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea in recent years has been invaluable for them in trusting their U23 players when previously they wouldn't have done. I do wonder how competitive we would be if we threw in Hirst, Dewsbury-Hall or Luke Thomas in to a nucleus of first team players, I think we'd struggle. It's not an exact science but that's an indicator of where our academy currently is compared with the clubs we hope to compete with as a global force. Sustained and prolonged investment is needed in our academy to make best use of the extraordinary training facilities we are soon to have.

26 minutes ago, urban fox said:

Everyone mentioning Man. U and Barcelona seem to be forgetting they have a lot of "dead rubbers" to blood young players -- hell, Man. U basically sent their U23's to play in Astana, because it didn't matter. The "so-called Big 6" usually don't really care about the League Cup, so don't really mind bloody youth. 

With the Spanish clubs, the get weaker teams in the bottom half of La Liga, compared to the Premier League, and two-legged cup ties...

I think you will see some movement on the U23's in the coming months though -- if we shift what seems "excess" right now, either permanently or loan, (Mendy, Armartey, Kapustka, James, Jakupovic -- I think Benko is staying, given our CB situation), it leaves a very lean squad, and I won't be surprised if we see some of the youngsters on the bench in 2020.

Guest An Sionnach
6 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Everyone mentioning Man. U and Barcelona seem to be forgetting they have a lot of "dead rubbers" to blood young players -- hell, Man. U basically sent their U23's to play in Astana, because it didn't matter. The "so-called Big 6" usually don't really care about the League Cup, so don't really mind bloody youth. 

With the Spanish clubs, the get weaker teams in the bottom half of La Liga, compared to the Premier League, and two-legged cup ties...

I think you will see some movement on the U23's in the coming months though -- if we shift what seems "excess" right now, either permanently or loan, (Mendy, Armartey, Kapustka, James, Jakupovic -- I think Benko is staying, given our CB situation), it leaves a very lean squad, and I won't be surprised if we see some of the youngsters on the bench in 2020.

I think you are probably right on that. We are of course ,with the obvious exceptions, a pretty young team anyway and that has been a factor in our current success. I strongly believe in promoting young players at every opportunity so with the number of matches we may have to play next season our development squad players ought to get a chance.

4 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

If you were a promising 15 y. o. would you want to sign for Leicester if you knew your chances of progress were so limited. Of course you do not displace first team squad players in a winning team with youngsters but with 40 odd games a season the inclusion of a young player on the bench now and again and perhaps 10 or 15 minutes on the pitch would do wonders for their motivation. I will stick my neck out here and say that those promising young strikers we have would score goals at premiership level.

If you are at a well respected academy / big teams you will be given a head start in your first move. Teams higher up the ladder will take a gamble on you and your career gets off to a start with a better club. 

Look at where united or Chelsea acadamy players players start their careers. Because of the acadamy recognition a youth from Chelsea would always get a better opportunity than a youth from say Norwich, even if the players had equal ability. 

Guest An Sionnach
2 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

If you are at a well respected academy / big teams you will be given a head start in your first move. Teams higher up the ladder will take a gamble on you and your career gets off to a start with a better club. 

Look at where united or Chelsea acadamy players players start their careers. Because of the acadamy recognition a youth from Chelsea would always get a better opportunity than a youth from say Norwich, even if the players had equal ability. 

Yes you do have an advantage if you start with a major club , however we are becoming a major club and if results are anything to go by we are attracting quality kids. These kids are ambitious of course and want opportunities at the highest level. 

Guest An Sionnach
4 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Do you fancy him?

Well he's not really my type for sure, I prefer them with long red hair and a bushy tail.

1 minute ago, steveherbe said:

3 1 down going into injury time, absolute rubbish. Not one player that looks anywhere near the first team. Benkovic didn't stand out at all, if we have to use him this year we can forget top 4. Very disappointed.

We had a lot of the ball around their box chasing the equaliser (and hurst missed a pen).... I thought we looked quite decent making openings but final pass was poor ...... didn’t see much of benko but I would add that cags looked ropey at U23 on quite a few occasions .... I would say he didn’t stand out but then he had little to do whilst I was watching (one v poor attempt to intercept a long cross with his wrong foot which led to him feeling his ankle) 

.. we had a lot of possession down the left and failed to capitalise due to no one taking the opportunity to run across the face of goal. 

We looked tentative with the ball  and every time we lost it Blackburn looked likely to score. They sliced through us too easily, bringing back memories of the seven they scored against us the last time.