Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

2019/20 Under 23's, U19's, Development ... thread

1 hour ago, EverybodyDannsNow said:

I know they’re a shambles and have been for a while but our Under-23s beating a club the size of Sunderland is quite incredible really. Great result for them. 

Totally agree, big stadium and I imagine for our players it was a massive game, even if the competition is seen as a bit of a joke these days. Aiden McGeady, Will Grigg and Grant Leadbitter all played. Wasn’t a team full of Sunderland’s kids. Really pleased for them. 

Edited by Big_Nige
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Big_Nige said:

Totally agree, big stadium and I imagine for our players it was a massive game, even if the competition is seen as a bit of a joke these days. Aiden McGeady, Will Grigg and Grant Leadbitter all played. Wasn’t a team full of Sunderland’s kids. Really pleased for them. 

If we did actually make it all the way, I think we'd take a decent crowd. Playing Coventry would be great banter! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, themightyfin said:

Safely through. I think ths team has a good chance of silverware in this cup this year. 

I'll definitely go to Wembley for the final if we got there. 

Do people think we'd take 40,000 to see our U21's play in a Wembley final against a L1/2 side?

10 hours ago, Big_Nige said:

This is correct, lost of first teamers. Shocking result for us, we’re getting worse.  

17 minutes ago, lcfcell said:

I know it’s hard to predict these things but does anyone reckon there’s a chance Dewsbury-Hall has a future with the first team? Seems like he’s been performing well for a while now 

He's been doing alright with the u23s but then so a have few others who reside in league one. Hard to say but nothing scream out first team action to me. Would be happy to be surprised.

It's great that we're progressing through the cup, gives our academy lot good experience against league one/two teams and puts them in the shop window for potential loan moves. But I'm torn, I'm still not a huge fan of the u23 teams being in the cup competition, the minute one gets close to winning is when there'll be uproar for me.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

I'll definitely go to Wembley for the final if we got there. 

Do people think we'd take 40,000 to see our U21's play in a Wembley final against a L1/2 side?

depends upon who we are playing against, and how we go in the other cups. No matter what the competition, a day out at Wembley is a day out and many will go there to enjoy themselves, however, if we are already in a league cup final or on a good FA Cup run less will go.

5 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

It's great that we're progressing through the cup, gives our academy lot good experience against league one/two teams and puts them in the shop window for potential loan moves. But I'm torn, I'm still not a huge fan of the u23 teams being in the cup competition, the minute one gets close to winning is when there'll be uproar for me.

Agree with all your points.

I think that now we're into the k.o. phase,the league 1&2 clubs will field stronger teams with Wembley in

their sights.

8 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

If we were in league one or two this cup would be a big thing for us. So if we rocked up against Chelsea's academy and odd first teamer I'd be pissed off. Seems to help the Prem teams, and their academy, with little benefit for the league teams. We get richer. They watch us get richer. Selfishly, I'm excited about it for the shop window part.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, notnow john said:

Agree with all your points.

I think that now we're into the k.o. phase,the league 1&2 clubs will field stronger teams with Wembley in

their sights.

You'd think so, but the likes of the top teams probably have the talent in their academy to rival that of the league one/two teams. Think that Foden would be allowed to compete as a 19 year old, he'd carve the team's defence apart. 

2 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

If we were in league one or two this cup would be a big thing for us. So if we rocked up against Chelsea's academy and odd first teamer I'd be pissed off. Seems to help the Prem teams, and their academy, with little benefit for the league teams. We get richer. They watch us get richer. Selfishly, I'm excited about it for the shop window part.

Yeah it benefits the prem teams competing in it a lot more than anyone else. You're right though, we'd be proper annoyed if we came up against a prem team u23 side with a few in and around the first teams. 

4 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

but the likes of the top teams probably have the talent in their academy to rival that of the league one/two teams.

....and that in itself is part of the problem for me they should be learning their trade in the lower leagues with top ranked coaches and then when they're experienced/good enough to play in the higher leagues they get bought.

I think one of the ideas was that big crowds would come and watch the big teams academy sides.

I remember a FNF game down at Filbert St against Manchester United where 20,000 turned up to watch.

This is what they were hoping with this,I just don’t think it’s quite happened.

Anyone know the biggest attendance for an academy game in the competition.

• Like 1

Just now, Aus Fox said:

I think one of the ideas was that big crowds would come and watch the big teams academy sides.

I remember a FNF game down at Filbert St against Manchester United where 20,000 turned up to watch.

This is what they were hoping with this,I just don’t think it’s quite happened.

Anyone know the biggest attendance for an academy game in the competition.

That was a one off though mostly the crowds were quite small, they used to get good crowds for the Football Combination / Central Leagues which were set up for the top 2 or so leagues for their reserve teams (now classed as the rest of the 1st team squad) plus 1st teamers coming back form injuries and up and coming youths.

To my mind a much better system than all the big clubs scooping up all the talent and playing them in this glorified PL2, leave them playing the lower leagues until they're ready to make the move up.