Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moseeds

Jon Rudkin Appreciation Thread

I'll praise him when he sorts our CB issue. We've left it mega late to let Harry go and didn't have a replacement lined up. The time it's taken I would have expected us to have a deal with a club where an agreement is triggered as soon as Harry was confirmed.

Now we're being prices out by clubs demanding fees in the region of Harry's. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Foxhateram said:

I'll praise him when he sorts our CB issue. We've left it mega late to let Harry go and didn't have a replacement lined up. The time it's taken I would have expected us to have a deal with a club where an agreement is triggered as soon as Harry was confirmed.

Now we're being prices out by clubs demanding fees in the region of Harry's. 

With respect, you are guessing.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

With respect, you are guessing.

Guessing what? He signed for United on Friday. Why haven't we wrapped up something in preparation for his inevitable exit, we've known he was going for over a month.

37 minutes ago, Foxhateram said:

Guessing what? He signed for United on Friday. Why haven't we wrapped up something in preparation for his inevitable exit, we've known he was going for over a month.

We have assumed he was going but no-one knows until the deal is done. Your expectations are a touch unreal in that the deal was signed off on Friday & you are pissed that no deal has been completed by Monday. I'm sure Leicester have held talks with many teams & I have every confidence that the right deal will get done.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

We have assumed he was going but no-one knows until the deal is done. Your expectations are a touch unreal in that the deal was signed off on Friday & you are pissed that no deal has been completed by Monday. I'm sure Leicester have held talks with many teams & I have every confidence that the right deal will get done.

What @gurru991 said.

44 minutes ago, Foxhateram said:

Every agent, manager, chief exec & football club chairman have known he was going for over a month also! 

They’ve had 80 million reasons to not wrap something up with us

• Like 1

Why do we need to praise someone for doing their job? Let’s not forget the mistakes made in the past three seasons- going from winning the Premier League by ten points to scrapping with the likes of Burnley and Bournemouth. Not to forget the errors in appointing Shakey and Puel. A transfer policy that has for the most part been poor overall. The end of term grade for Rudders is therefore C-.

25 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Do you celebrate when Schmeichel saves a penalty?

Do you celebrate when one of our players scores?

We shouldn't be praising them for doing their job......... :ph34r:

Yes we do Geoff. The issue here is how would we rate Rudders’ overall performance since we won the league. I think that a grade of C- is fair. Let’s hope that the transfer dealings will be the springboard for a period of success- time will tell. Holding out for £80m for Maguire is a straightforward piece of business for a Director of Football bearing in mind the length of his contract with us. What ‘added value’ did we get from Rudders? He was only doing his job, just like when Vardy scores

Edited by 49er

3 minutes ago, 49er said:

Yes we do Geoff. The issue here is how would we rate Rudders’ overall performance since we won the league. I think that a grade of C- is fair. Let’s hope that the transfer dealings will be the springboard for a period of success- time will tell. Holding out for £80m for Maguire is a straightforward piece of business for a Director of Football bearing in mind the length of his contract with us. What ‘added value’ did we get from Rudders? He was only doing his job, just like with Vardy scores

He's got some deals right.

He's got some deals wrong.

Just like every other DoF pretty much.

• Like 2

This is such a weird time of year - always imagined it would be a difficult time for journos or those involved with the club primarily, but...

...the amount of pissy knickers from the fans is just unbelievable (hand raised in self acknowledgement).

It is not like we can do anything about, nor should expect insider news.

Just weird :blink:

(yes, I also engage in this curious behaviour)

4 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

He's got some deals right.

He's got some deals wrong.

Just like every other DoF pretty much.

let’s pray that the recent one’s all fall into the ‘right’ category. If we get into the top 4 it will be ‘arise Sir Rudders’

I think up to the sale of HM it was a excellent window. Pity we did not follow Crystal Palace and not sell one of our best players. If we had replaced (and we certainly had the money) I would have been really excited but I fear CS will just make too many mistakes. He reminds me of Titus Bramble who could look solid and play superbly for 85 minutes and then totally crash and burn.. Really hope I am proved wrong but I think the decision not to bring in a quality replacement will cost us big time.I understand we want value for money but sometimes it is necessary to play slightly more than you believe a player is worth to fill a urgent gap., just like Man Utd did in burying Harry. If the decision not to replace was JR then he is wrong. To be honest I have never liked him and think the club has out grown his abilities. I hope this stupid decision does not frustrate the progress we are all looking forward too.The club had clearly stated that there was a cut off point beyond which we would not sell Harry this window. I can't believe that that point was only 4 days before the window shut ! It was naive to believe that any selling club would  not demand a premium when they knew we were desperate. What happend to the 48hr plan we had for replacement ??.    

2 minutes ago, jock2612 said:

I think up to the sale of HM it was a excellent window. Pity we did not follow Crystal Palace and not sell one of our best players. If we had replaced (and we certainly had the money) I would have been really excited but I fear CS will just make too many mistakes. He reminds me of Titus Bramble who could look solid and play superbly for 85 minutes and then totally crash and burn.. Really hope I am proved wrong but I think the decision not to bring in a quality replacement will cost us big time.I understand we want value for money but sometimes it is necessary to play slightly more than you believe a player is worth to fill a urgent gap., just like Man Utd did in burying Harry. If the decision not to replace was JR then he is wrong. To be honest I have never liked him and think the club has out grown his abilities. I hope this stupid decision does not frustrate the progress we are all looking forward too.The club had clearly stated that there was a cut off point beyond which we would not sell Harry this window. I can't believe that that point was only 4 days before the window shut ! It was naive to believe that any selling club would  not demand a premium when they knew we were desperate. What happend to the 48hr plan we had for replacement ??.    

Titus Bramble.......that's harsh.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

He’s done very well, two seasons running he’s hoodwinked people into thinking we were spending big and then sold off the family silver to pay for it. 😂

Engage smug mode @Ric Flair

Considering the net spend, the reshaping of our aging squad has been outstanding work. 

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Babylon said:

He’s done very well, two seasons running he’s hoodwinked people into thinking we were spending big and then sold off the family silver to pay for it. 😂

Engage smug mode @Ric Flair

I still go back to the word " sustainability " and even after all the reports that we would go big this summer, I don't think we were ever tempted to take a huge risk. Should we have taken a huge risk? Part of me thinks if we were going to at a particular time in the last few years then this summer was it.

However, I'm not devastated that we haven't. There's still the very real possibility that had we got in Tarkowski or even Ake and someone like Leon Bailey that we still would have finished 7-8th and facing the possibility of needing to sell and go backwards after the gamble not paying off. Not to mention the likes of Soyuncu, Benkovic, Barnes and Choudhury would have less game time and less opportunity to make it. I believe in all 4 players and right now, this is the most content I've been supporting Leicester in a long while.

But yeah, we were right 😂😂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 02/08/2019 at 22:37, Raw Dykes said:

It is insane. You're essentially saying you'd pay £20m for a few weeks' more pre-season preparation over just one position in the squad. Why do that when you'll still get the exact same time to assess the alternatives already in the squad, look for possible replacements, sound out their availability, make enquiries re: cost, and still have 6 days to complete a transfer if you need to?

I'd have said Maguire was worth around £60m-£65m maybe, but then market value is pretty much meaningless. I can see why you'd say it sounds insane compared to AWB's fee, but I think that was crazy, as well. If you compare Maguire's £85m fee to VVD's £75m, then Maguire's is obviously the looniest. I think the club has done fantastically well to get a world record fee for Maguire. I'm stunned that anyone doesn't, really.

No. I don't consider profit more important than pre-season prep. I believe that selling one first-team player, who's had his head turned, for a world record fee, when you promised him you would, when you already have 4 capable players in his position, and when you still have very nearly a week left to replace him if you need to, is an absolute no-brainer.

You'll have to provide a link to Rodgers's comments. I don't know which ones you mean. Maguire may well have been picked for pre-season games to make a point to Man Utd that we were serious about keeping him unless they pay the price we set. The club were making sure they stayed in the driver's seat. There's little doubt in my mind about that. Rodgers's made it clear that unsatisfactory bids were rejected. £85m is plenty. We don't know whether Rodgers understood that Maguire was possibly being sold this window, but it's not like there's been nothing about it in the news. He's not stupid. I'm sure he realised that it was a possibility, and I'm sure he also realises that the club wouldn't turn down silly money. There's a world of difference between deadline day and 6 days before deadline day. I don't believe there's any reason to think that the club are selling players without Rodgers's knowledge. It's pointless talking about that until there's some evidence.

I don't have to make my mind up. I don't believe those are mutually-exclusive. We don't get to decide when Man Utd are going to let us double-fist their raggedy, old, devastated arsehole.

Thanks for clarifying what you think is a reasonable fee. the difference between 65m and 80m is not even 25%, so its interesting you think a modest 25% extra changes a reasonable fee to insane.

VVD went for 75m, but hes not currently valued at 75m, that you have to bear in mind, market value inflation in football is very high, plus I dont rate VVD much different to maguire.  If liverpool sold VVD today he would go for alot more than 100m, never mind 75m.

I never said the club didnt do well to get that fee either, however I dont think the aim of football is to make as much money as possible, I think the aim is to build the best team possible and win things, but maybe I am mistaken as to what the aim of football is.

The rodgers interview is on the sky website, its recorded, so he hasnt been misquoted.  He stated the club did well to get the money they did, but distanced himself from the deal, he stated, he was disappointed to lose the player and he also stated he expected someone else to get signed given the time available to prepare and over 10 names were drawn as replacements.  Of course we now know none of these were signed.

What we will never know as fans is what rudkin's remit is behind closed doors, the club speaks of ambition, but the net spend and record of selling first team players contradicts that, however there is no question we have managed to sign some gems in recent seasons which has clouded those facts.  If rudkins remit was simply to keep the books balanced whilst managing to appease fans, he has done an outstanding job.  If his remit was to to supply the manager with the support he needs in the squad I would say his job has not been so astounding.

Edited by Chrysalis