Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moseeds

Jon Rudkin Appreciation Thread

28 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

why does this thread exist?

Broken the golden rule again and again do deals early in the window (especially when selling players).

No evidence showing that maguire not been sold behind the managers back.

Come on. The club have had Man Utd over the barrel this summer. Maguire's a good player, but he is not worth anything near £85m. Credit where credit's due.

Sometimes it's not possible to decide when you get a deal done. There's still almost a week before the deadline. I've no doubt the club will have plans in place for the eventuality that HM was sold. I'm sure there are targets lined up. Maybe even fees agreed in principle. Maybe we've decided that CS or FB are good enough that we don't need to replace HM.

Why would you suggest that the deal was done behind Rodgers's back? No evidence that it was. No evidence to show that we're not about to sign Messi, either.

27 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

Would rather we get 60m june 10th instead of 80m aug 2nd.

That is absolutely insane.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, buzzer_b said:

Does anyone remember the time when Rudkin was hated on here? lol 

I think a lot of that was because no one really understood what he did. It's somewhat clearer to me now, looking at recent photo's I can that he eats a lot.

I wouldn’t bother replacing him. I rate Soyuncu as a similar type of defender, and let’s see what Benkovic has to offer. We also have the club Captain who can do a job every now and then.

Whoever we try and sign this week we will be held to ransom. I’d be tempted to sign a quality winger but that’s about it. 

I think most of us for a while have thought it’s not the end of the world if Maguire went. And for that crazy fee. I’m pretty upbeat - which is rare when we sell an asset. 

Bravo Rudkin!

Edited by bmouth_fox

3 hours ago, LinekersLugs said:

You lot must be mental ?

£20m to Hull to buy him 

further 10m in wages 

another £18m to hull in sell on clause 

£5m+ to agents 

£40m to replace him 

total cost 90m+ !!!! 

we have MADE nothing from this deal 

we would have been better off paying him £200k a week and keeping him FFS 

and your applauding the man that sold him , give me strength 

2nd summer in a row we have sold our best player  

Yeah and if we’d sold him for what Man Utd wanted to pay, we’d have lost money (according to your calculations). 

2 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

Come on. The club have had Man Utd over the barrel this summer. Maguire's a good player, but he is not worth anything near £85m. Credit where credit's due.

Sometimes it's not possible to decide when you get a deal done. There's still almost a week before the deadline. I've no doubt the club will have plans in place for the eventuality that HM was sold. I'm sure there are targets lined up. Maybe even fees agreed in principle. Maybe we've decided that CS or FB are good enough that we don't need to replace HM.

Why would you suggest that the deal was done behind Rodgers's back? No evidence that it was. No evidence to show that we're not about to sign Messi, either.

That is absolutely insane.

Of course its not insane, it means the manager doesnt waste time on season prep using a player he doesnt have for the season.

I would be interested to know in what you value maguire as. You say not even near 85m which suggests 60m max, meaning you consider him a similar value to AWB?  That is what sounds insane to me.

You appear to have just admitted you consider profit more important than season prep.

As for evidence, there is the comments made by the manager and the fact maguire was picked for pre season games in preparation as been part of the first team.  The manager made it very clear he was satisfied bids were been rejected.  Also take note one of the reasons he left celtic was having a player sold from under his nose on deadline day.

Also please make your mind up, either we had them over a barrel or we wasnt able to decide when the deal was done, which one is it? it cannot be both.

Edited by Chrysalis

1 hour ago, Chrysalis said:

Of course its not insane, it means the manager doesnt waste time on season prep using a player he doesnt have for the season.

I would be interested to know in what you value maguire as. You say not even near 85m which suggests 60m max, meaning you consider him a similar value to AWB?  That is what sounds insane to me.

You appear to have just admitted you consider profit more important than season prep.

As for evidence, there is the comments made by the manager and the fact maguire was picked for pre season games in preparation as been part of the first team.  The manager made it very clear he was satisfied bids were been rejected.  Also take note one of the reasons he left celtic was having a player sold from under his nose on deadline day.

Also please make your mind up, either we had them over a barrel or we wasnt able to decide when the deal was done, which one is it? it cannot be both.

It is insane. You're essentially saying you'd pay £20m for a few weeks' more pre-season preparation over just one position in the squad. Why do that when you'll still get the exact same time to assess the alternatives already in the squad, look for possible replacements, sound out their availability, make enquiries re: cost, and still have 6 days to complete a transfer if you need to?

I'd have said Maguire was worth around £60m-£65m maybe, but then market value is pretty much meaningless. I can see why you'd say it sounds insane compared to AWB's fee, but I think that was crazy, as well. If you compare Maguire's £85m fee to VVD's £75m, then Maguire's is obviously the looniest. I think the club has done fantastically well to get a world record fee for Maguire. I'm stunned that anyone doesn't, really.

No. I don't consider profit more important than pre-season prep. I believe that selling one first-team player, who's had his head turned, for a world record fee, when you promised him you would, when you already have 4 capable players in his position, and when you still have very nearly a week left to replace him if you need to, is an absolute no-brainer.

You'll have to provide a link to Rodgers's comments. I don't know which ones you mean. Maguire may well have been picked for pre-season games to make a point to Man Utd that we were serious about keeping him unless they pay the price we set. The club were making sure they stayed in the driver's seat. There's little doubt in my mind about that. Rodgers's made it clear that unsatisfactory bids were rejected. £85m is plenty. We don't know whether Rodgers understood that Maguire was possibly being sold this window, but it's not like there's been nothing about it in the news. He's not stupid. I'm sure he realised that it was a possibility, and I'm sure he also realises that the club wouldn't turn down silly money. There's a world of difference between deadline day and 6 days before deadline day. I don't believe there's any reason to think that the club are selling players without Rodgers's knowledge. It's pointless talking about that until there's some evidence.

I don't have to make my mind up. I don't believe those are mutually-exclusive. We don't get to decide when Man Utd are going to let us double-fist their raggedy, old, devastated arsehole.

3 hours ago, bmouth_fox said:

I wouldn’t bother replacing him. I rate Soyuncu as a similar type of defender, and let’s see what Benkovic has to offer. We also have the club Captain who can do a job every now and then.

Whoever we try and sign this week we will be held to ransom. I’d be tempted to sign a quality winger but that’s about it. 

I think most of us for a while have thought it’s not the end of the world if Maguire went. And for that crazy fee. I’m pretty upbeat - which is rare when we sell an asset. 

Bravo Rudkin!

I think I'm leaning towards sticking with what we've got, as well. I think Soyuncu will become a good PL player. Benkovic could, too. It's just a question of whether they're ready to step in right now.

I agree that we'd probably be shafted trying to replace Maguire right now.

What do you think about getting a free transfer like Cahill in? I think it's a good short-term option to tide us over.

Don’t understand the love in for Rudkin. His objective is to secure the £85 mill, pretty straightforward really as that what Top was holding out for. 

Needs to be judged on all transfer fees/extended contracts that have been offered over the last few years.

Edited by g7fox
Spelling

10 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

I think I'm leaning towards sticking with what we've got, as well. I think Soyuncu will become a good PL player. Benkovic could, too. It's just a question of whether they're ready to step in right now.

I agree that we'd probably be shafted trying to replace Maguire right now.

What do you think about getting a free transfer like Cahill in? I think it's a good short-term option to tide us over.

I suppose you could view at as another experienced head in a young team, or on the other hand an over the hill pensioner. I’m not sure to be honest... 

I’d prefer getting a Cahill in over Dunk or Tarkowski, but I’d take Ake over any of them. I really rate him. 

1 hour ago, Foxes1 said:

Anyone can pick out his good deals but what about the bad ones ie Silva, Slimani, Musa, Kaputska etc these 4 deals alone were terrible it's all a matter of opinion. 

Are they only bad deals because the players didn’t work out? Had the players been a success, on a cost level none of those players would have been considered bad deals for the club. 

Edited by JJS84

9 minutes ago, JJS84 said:

Are they only bad deals because the players didn’t work out? Had the players been a success, on a cost level none of those players would have been considered bad deals for the club. 

Hmm. That's a really big if. With hindsight, it seems like we didn't do much research into those signings. Should have been fairly easy to see that they either weren't suited to the PL, had an attitude problem or simply weren't good enough.

17 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Either you don't watch any Leicester games or you have no idea. Maybe our best CB yes but not best player. He is only 1 of 11.

He is not irreplaceable, getting £80m for him, allbeit with some deductions to Hull, agents etc, is great business. We have good young players in our ranks and I hope they get the nod and we don't spend a big whack on an average player.

Header_2333844_16.9-1024x576.jpg

• Haha 1