Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LCFC1996

Loan watch 2019-20

Former u16 England international Layton Ndukwu made his first start for Southend but was subbed at half time. Southend had a man sent off just before the interval which may help to explain the sub. Yet in his 45 minutes Layton failed to get a mention in Southend's Twitter. Southend are a team without wingers, it appears, and they've taken Layton on as a winger. It seems it's not going well. Southend's twitter users don't seem to be impressed. They're complaining he didn't even break into a mild jog in this last match. When I watched Layton in the u23s I never saw him as a winger. I saw him as a mercurial floating midfielder with a decent turn, touch and shot on him rather than the next Marc Albrighton. So Layton is at league one's worst team playing in a foreign position and a position he doesn't seem to be suited. Josh Knight however played 90 minutes in what flashscore believe to be the right of midfield. Josh's Peterborough won. Layton's Southend are on a losing streak unparalleled in this year's English football league.

Edited by Foxxed
  • Thanks 1

... Ndukwu really need to decide if football is something he wants to do as a hobby or a career goal!! 

Too often I have watched him ineffectively failing to become involved in a game and going missing for the most part. 

He appears to have carried this lackadaisical attribute to Southend and it has certainly not endeared them to him. 

He has played wide right tonight, although not his position, it perhaps might be a good idea for him to get involved and fight to keep his place, rather than allowing the game to pass him by as usual. 

He always appears to have a total indifference, to what is happening on the field and that is why I have no idea if this is what he really wants to do, or is there somewhere else, he would rather be? 

I know he can play, I have seen him at his best and he has the ability to be at times unplayable, it is all too brief and too rare to justify a place in a team!! 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Foxxed said:

Former u16 England international Layton Ndukwu made his first start for Southend but was subbed at half time. Southend had a man sent off just before the interval which may help to explain the sub. Yet in his 45 minutes Layton failed to get a mention in Southend's Twitter. Southend are a team without wingers, it appears, and they've taken Layton on as a winger. It seems it's not going well. Southend's twitter users don't seem to be impressed. They're complaining he didn't even break into a mild jog in this last match. When I watched Layton in the u23s I never saw him as a winger. I saw him as a mercurial floating midfielder with a decent turn, touch and shot on him rather than the next Marc Albrighton. So Layton is at league one's worst team playing in a foreign position and a position he doesn't seem to be suited. Josh Knight however played 90 minutes in what flashscore believe to be the right of midfield. Josh's Peterborough won. Layton's Southend are on a losing streak unparalleled in this year's English football league.

It would seem that it's not always better to be loaned out. :dunno:

12 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

... Ndukwu really need to decide if football is something he wants to do as a hobby or a career goal!! 

Too often I have watched him ineffectively failing to become involved in a game and going missing for the most part. 

He appears to have carried this lackadaisical attribute to Southend and it has certainly not endeared them to him. 

He has played wide right tonight, although not his position, it perhaps might be a good idea for him to get involved and fight to keep his place, rather than allowing the game to pass him by as usual. 

He always appears to have a total indifference, to what is happening on the field and that is why I have no idea if this is what he really wants to do, or is there somewhere else, he would rather be? 

I know he can play, I have seen him at his best and he has the ability to be at times unplayable, it is all too brief and too rare to justify a place in a team!! 

I worry Layton peaked a bit too early and now he thinks he's already made it. He was a regular in the 16/17 year old England squad, his skills easly impressed and Izzet sang his praises. But from 18 onwards he seems to have stagnanted. He always looks good in the u23s, sometimes a bit anonymous but would often pop up with a great bit of play. Yet he never reached the peaks of Hamza, Barnes or Knight in the u23s. He looks like the kind of player who if you had a good team to protect him you could place him in central midfield and watch his skills get you an assist or goal. Yet his performances never really warranted getting in a good team that would allow that. And now he's in a team so unable to score or win their previous shot on target is currently writing its memoires.

1 hour ago, FIF said:

I don't think it's as simple as good to be loaned out, bad to be retained really, even if I have clamoured for more of our young players to get league loans.

At the end of the day, players need the right club to be on loan at. Based on what Foxxed said, Ndukwu has gone to a club that want to play him as a winger, when that isn't where he excels - which can't be helping. However, not only do you need the right club for the player, the player himself has to be willing to work hard at the club he's at - and regardless of not being in maybe his preferred position, from reports about his play in the development squad, and now at Southend, it just doesn't sound like he's putting in the effort either. 

It seems like it may be a case of wrong club, and lack of effort from Nduwku.

• Like 3

I don’t get him at all. He got a shot in the first team and didn’t get past a jog. I’d be chasing down everything like a dog if I got an opportunity, but it seems he really doesn’t have that drive to him. I’m not saying that’s the best way to play, but when things are going bad it’s the least you can do. 3-0 down and you can’t be bothered to run, forget it. 

Guarentee that he will never make it here.

Edited by Lambert09

37 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

I don’t get him at all. He got a shot in the first team and didn’t get past a jog. I’d be chasing down everything like a dog if I got an opportunity, but it seems he really doesn’t have that drive to him. I’m not saying that’s the best way to play, but when things are going bad it’s the least you can do. 3-0 down and you can’t be bothered to run, forget it. 

Guarentee that he will never make it here.

In terms of how work rate, style and skills he's much more Mahrez than Marc. But at bottom of league one I think you've got to be much more like Marc. If he doesn't make it here, and I'm not overly optimistic, it'll be a real shame: he has some superb skills but I think he relies on those skills too much.

3 hours ago, FIF said:

.. it is a teachable moment! 

Get your head down and work hard, that's all anyone can ask of you.!! 

If you haven't got the awareness to apply yourself and attempt to influence the manager to give him the best opinion of what you bring to the team, then there clearly something missing!! 

People saying it don’t help Layton being played as a winger as it’s not his position. But look at Josh he’s being played in midfield when his best position is supposedly centre back and he’s getting great reviews . I’m sure he’s loving just playing not matter where it is . 

21 hours ago, baldeagle said:

People saying it don’t help Layton being played as a winger as it’s not his position. But look at Josh he’s being played in midfield when his best position is supposedly centre back and he’s getting great reviews . I’m sure he’s loving just playing not matter where it is . 

... mindset!! 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

... mindset!! 

How do you know anything about their individual mindset? Completely different players. Just because Ndukwu isn’t chasing balls down or can’t adapt to a slightly different position in a team who’s lost nearly every game this season doesn’t mean he has a ‘bad attitude’. Players have different styles, not every single one is going to be a Vardy closing down every ball. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TJB-fox said:

How do you know anything about their individual mindset? Completely different players. Just because Ndukwu isn’t chasing balls down or can’t adapt to a slightly different position in a team who’s lost nearly every game this season doesn’t mean he has a ‘bad attitude’. Players have different styles, not every single one is going to be a Vardy closing down every ball. 

... you don't have to chase around the pitch to show your worth!! 

If Ndukwu had anything about him, perhaps showing a sense of urgency or an attempt to affect the game, in some form or other, would go some way to support the other ten players out there, on the park with him. We do not see any of this, because he is anonymous in games, barely on the periphery.....and that's why I question what it is that he wants out of the game. 

He seems afraid to be tackled and clearly avoids contact... the fact that he previously suffered injuries, which may have inbeded a psychological fear, that might just be one reason that holds him back. 

Either way he needs to move on and alter how he approaches games and show us what we know he could bring to the team. 

4 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

... you don't have to chase around the pitch to show your worth!! 

If Ndukwu had anything about him, perhaps showing a sense of urgency or an attempt to affect the game, in some form or other, would go some way to support the other ten players out there, on the park with him. We do not see any of this, because he is anonymous in games, barely on the periphery.....and that's why I question what it is that he wants out of the game. 

He seems afraid to be tackled and clearly avoids contact... the fact that he previously suffered injuries, which may have inbeded a psychological fear, that might just be one reason that holds him back. 

Either way he needs to move on and alter how he approaches games and show us what we know he could bring to the team. 

For him then wouldn’t it be getting on the ball, dribbling, trying tricks then? There’s one thing saying he sometimes lacks a sense of urgency and his contribution can often be lacking, but to imply he has a bad attitude or has psychological issues is a bit bizarre. 

Think we’ll have to agree to disagree on this one.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

For him then wouldn’t it be getting on the ball, dribbling, trying tricks then? There’s one thing saying he sometimes lacks a sense of urgency and his contribution can often be lacking, but to imply he has a bad attitude or has psychological issues is a bit bizarre. 

Think we’ll have to agree to disagree on this one.

.. you have obviously misinterpreted what my original post was about.! 

It was just one word, you have applied a meaning to it which was never stated. My previous post also did not portray anything pertaining to a bad attitude. 

Still if you wish to apply that term to my comment....! 

35 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.. you have obviously misinterpreted what my original post was about.! 

It was just one word, you have applied a meaning to it which was never stated. My previous post also did not portray anything pertaining to a bad attitude. 

Still if you wish to apply that term to my comment....! 

You questioned his mindset and what he wants from football, does attitude not come within those perimeters?

1 hour ago, TJB-fox said:

You questioned his mindset and what he wants from football, does attitude not come within those perimeters?

.. I really do not believe that I can explain this in any way that will make you understand.!! 

I would suggest you read what I said, then read it again, then get someone else to read it and ask their opinion. 

A "closed mindset" lacks awareness and fail to take opportunities which are available and is negative in its outlook!!!

I think it best we leave this here as no one has signed up to witness what has now become a pointless discourse. 

2 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.. I really do not believe that I can explain this in any way that will make you understand.!! 

I would suggest you read what I said, then read it again, then get someone else to read it and ask their opinion. 

A "closed mindset" lacks awareness and fail to take opportunities which are available and is negative in its outlook!!!

I think it best we leave this here as no one has signed up to witness what has now become a pointless discourse. 

You clearly can’t explain your point very well then.

Heres mine: at the end of the day, you’re bringing a players mindset/attitude/mentality whatever you want to call it into question when you don’t have a scooby what he’s like personally. 

Ryan Loft's league two heroics - he scored a goal - were rewarded by a 15 minute cameo against Exeter. The Press Association found nothing to note of his involvement except a foul he commited just before Exeter managed to extend their lead in the 90th. Sam Hughes debut for Salford came the way of a 89th minute substitution. His first and immediate involvement was to head a pass for his teammate's saved shot. Salford drew 2 - 2 with Morecamb. I'm assuming Iversen is swanning around with the Danish squad since he didn't get in the Rotherham squad. Ndukwu and Knight played no football since their teams don't play until Tuesday.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LCFC1996 said:

Daniel Iversen - Rotherham United, no involvement in Rotherham’s 2-1 defeat to Doncaster due to a first call up to the Denmark senior squad (League One)

- Total Appearances: 5

- Total Clean Sheets: 1

Josh Knight - Peterborough United, on as a 2nd half sub in a 2-0 victory over Northampton (EFL Trophy); No league game for Peterborough due to internationals (League One)

- Total Appearances: 7

- Total Goals: 1

Layton Ndukwu - Southend United, a first start but subbed at half time in a 2-0 defeat against Leyton Orient (EFL Trophy); No league game for Southend due internationals (League One)

- Total Appearances: 7

- Total Goals: 0

Ryan Loft - Carlisle United, on as a 2nd half sub in a 3-1 defeat to Exeter City (League Two)

- Total Appearances: 8

- Total Goals: 1

Sam Hughes - Salford City, made his debut as a late sub in a 2-2 draw with Morecambe (League Two)

- Total Appearances: 1

- Total Goals: 0

Kamal Sowah - OH Leuven, 82 minutes and a first league goal, opening the scoring in the first minute of a 4-0 victory against Roeselare to send Leuven to the top of the league, Sowah also got an assist for the 3rd (Belgian First Division B)

- Total Appearances: 6

- Total Goals: 3

What position does sowah play?