Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

The VAR thread

What are your thoughts on VAR?  

679 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on VAR?

• Love it, all for it, fantastic introduction to football
    • Hate it, games gone
    • Somewhere in between

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/05/20 at 19:00

Just now, Metal Lover said:

I don't think decisions can ever be made in relation to other decisions wrongly or rightly.  It's not possible, or necessarily relevant.

The Evans decision was correct, and can only be judged in isolation.

Well what's the point them? Its exactly the same when we had no var. One ref sees it one way, another sees it another way. Var is pointless according to own argument that supposedly supports it.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Donk said:

Irrespective of being a Leicester fan, Burnley's goal today was a goal. 

Lord knows what happened to Dele Alli...handball in the buildup to a goal is an automatic disallow? Or is it not now

Seen the Alli goal propely now. He moves his arm to the ball to control it. It's so obvious. The rule was any handball leading to a goal is automatically ruling the goal out, accidental or not. His next touch after the handball is his shot! How the hell has VAR let that stand?

Edited by Facecloth

6 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I'd be ****ing livid if that wasn't overturned.

Wood clearly trips Evans. The only thing arguing over was the fact it took about a minute and a half for the VAR to overturn it when nothing was said on the screen.

So by the fact the decision was NOT overturned, Albrighton clearly tripped Mane then?

1 minute ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Amazing amount of people gone from contact between two players not mattering to being the be all and end all in the space of two weeks.

For me it’s about whether you’re (materially) impeded. I’d say Evans was and Mane wasn’t. But then again I would wouldn’t I?

5 minutes ago, ttfn said:

For me it’s about whether you’re (materially) impeded. I’d say Evans was and Mane wasn’t. But then again I would wouldn’t I?

Evans clearly is.

I'm just not sure you can say it’s woods fault as he’s not tried to make a tackle and they’ve come together in a way that clearly benefits Burnley but is it actually a foul. Evans has been tripped by a striding foot not an attempt to trip him.

Edited by Manwell Pablo

2 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

They're both completely different.

Mane could have stayed on his feet if he wanted.

No it isnt.

Its about overturning clear and obvious errors.

By Woods foul being overturned youre saying the referee made a clear and obvious error that the goal should not have stood.

By Mane's penalty being allowed youre agreeing the referee did not make an obvious error in giving it even though you know Mane dived.

Just now, Manwell Pablo said:

Evans clearly is.

I'm just not sure you can say it’s woods fault as he’s not tried to make a tackle and they’ve come together in a way that clearly benefits Burnley but is it actually a foul.

If it was the opposite, Evans was a striker in the box and Wood clipped him like that, would it be a penalty?

7 minutes ago, Donk said:

No it isnt.

Its about overturning clear and obvious errors.

By Woods foul being overturned youre saying the referee made a clear and obvious error that the goal should not have stood.

By Mane's penalty being allowed youre agreeing the referee did not make an obvious error in giving it even though you know Mane dived.

But today there was a clear and obvious error because Evan's was clearly tripped and Moss missed it.

A fortnight ago Mane was clipped, the referee gave it and it wasn't overturned because it wasn't a clear and obvious error.

If the ref hadn't given it last again Liverpool then the VAR wouldn't have overturned it.

Totally different.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

But in the context of the other decisions that VAR hasn't overturned, I'm not sure how it can give that? 

The context of other decisions should be totally irrelevant when assessing an individual incident. It wouldn't make any sense for the VAR official to watch the foul on Evans and go "well I think that's a foul, but a different referee watching a different incident in a different game decided not to intervene on that occasion so I won't bother", would it? 

No surprise that deplorable little tw*t Chris Kavanagh at the centre of it again today.

Deulofeu's at Spurs easily more of a penalty than Mane at Anfield, yet he waves play on, and it isn't overturned on review, presumably as Spurs were at home. Same goes for Alli's equaliser where he appears to play basketball with it before sticking it in. The bias big clubs get at home is absurd, and refs are happier just to be yes-men than have fans on their backs. Shocking. 

10 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

But today there was a clear and obvious error because Evan's was clearly tripped and Moss missed it.

A fortnight ago Mane was clipped, the referee gave it and it wasn't overturned because it wasn't a clear and obvious error.

If the ref hadn't given it last again Liverpool then the VAR wouldn't have overturned it.

Totally different.

Your previous post said "Mane could have stayed on his feet".

If he could have stayed on his feet, the "contact" he received didnt impede him. So it wasnt a foul.

So by virtue of what youve just said, unless you are legitimising the phrase "he had a right to go down" then the referee made a clear and obvious error because Mane was not fouled.

This is further compounded by the fact we have seen clear penalties this season where a decision has been given as no penalty and it clearly was a penalty. Like the foul on Rodri earlier this season in the Man City v Spurs game.

So VAR has done nothing except back the already questionable and subjective opinions of the referee in real time even with the benefit of replays, and had no practical benefit except to disallow goals for being 1mm offside which no one was bothered about anyway.

So thats why youre wrong. Its not about decisions being "totally different". Its about blatant inconsistency of refereeing at real time that existed before VAR and VAR doing nothing to change decisions once theyve been given.

Edited by Donk

5 minutes ago, Guest said:

The context of other decisions should be totally irrelevant when assessing an individual incident. It wouldn't make any sense for the VAR official to watch the foul on Evans and go "well I think that's a foul, but a different referee watching a different incident in a different game decided not to intervene on that occasion so I won't bother", would it? 

True, but we have a threshold, where clear fouls have been ignored as not being clear and obvious enough errors to overturn. If theres a threshold that can let that Silva foul go, or the Pepe one go, but give this one, something is wrong.

2 hours ago, TJB-fox said:

Thought they got the decision at our place bang on today 

2 hours ago, Vindaloo FOX said:

I saw no push but he clipped his foot for sure, so spot on VAR .

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Just saw the incident on my phone - wow!

Clear and obvious error ?  

not for me and there was no way JE was clearing that anyway 

It's clear and obvious for me. 

There's a clear trip by Wood on Evans. Not sure how that's not seen?? 

He doesn't clip him and Evans has a chance to clear it. So therefore Wood has impeded him. 

It's the right decision for me from the VAR officials. Not seen the Alli and Watford one so can't comment on that. It's worked to perfection today and that's not just because it went in our favour. I'd have been very annoyed if that wasn't overturned today.

Edited by StanSP