What are your thoughts on VAR?  

526 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on VAR?

• Love it, all for it, fantastic introduction to football
    • Hate it, games gone
    • Somewhere in between

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 17/05/20 at 19:00

5 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Wasn't a direct VAR decision, but it was during the period where VAR wouldn't overturn any decision 

VAR wouldn't overturn it now either ......

8 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

VAR wouldn't overturn it now either ......

Potentially would, anyhow they've not had hard luck with VAR like he's suggesting 

6 hours ago, squarez said:

I have to agree with @Les-TA-Jon here. You have a problem with the laws of the game, not VAR. The referees - video assistant or otherwise - are just enforcing the rule that the ball in play can't be interfered with by an out-of-play player (substitute/red carded/etc).

This isn't a VAR issue.

It IS a VAR issue. Without VAR no one knows this has happened. It's not talked about - it's not contentious - no cares cares - it doesn't exist. If that isn't a VAR issue then what is?

5 minutes ago, trabuch said:

It IS a VAR issue. Without VAR no one knows this has happened. It's not talked about - it's not contentious - no cares cares - it doesn't exist. If that isn't a VAR issue then what is?

Even with VAR, it's the new law that causes the goal to be ruled out. Take aim at that specific law, not VAR. 

Just because VAR has its faults, doesn't mean every issue on a football pitch is now the fault of VAR.

Just chatting in the bar, mostly about the Alli handball. It’s the rules that need clearing up. If we’re going to have VAR (which we are), the rules need to be clear cut. 

Just now, UniFox21 said:

Even with VAR, it's the new law that causes the goal to be ruled out. Take aim at that specific law, not VAR. 

Just because VAR has its faults, doesn't mean every issue on a football pitch is now the fault of VAR.

Seems to be a misunderstanding (haha in a VAR thread - who'd have thought it!). I was talking about the issue with a sub knocking the ball back into play with his foot 2cm in the penalty area being carded and a penalty being awarded. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/50203398 

1 minute ago, trabuch said:

Seems to be a misunderstanding (haha in a VAR thread - who'd have thought it!). I was talking about the issue with a sub knocking the ball back into play with his foot 2cm in the penalty area being carded and a penalty being awarded. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/50203398 

Lol think I've jumped in for something else lol

Yeah that's not a VAR fault, just an official with no common sense. Stupid decision, it's going out of play irrelevant tbh

• Like 2

1 minute ago, UniFox21 said:

Lol think I've jumped in for something else lol

Yeah that's not a VAR fault, just an official with no common sense. Stupid decision, it's going out of play irrelevant tbh

But I have to wonder what jobsworthy willy puller (in the VAR booth) pointed it out to the ref in the first place. I'll give this one up though. I mean - saying it's not the technology but the users is a no brainer.

Just now, trabuch said:

But I have to wonder what jobsworthy willy puller (in the VAR booth) pointed it out to the ref in the first place. I'll give this one up though. I mean - saying it's not the technology but the users is a no brainer.

I really think its just both officials missing a few screws and not applying common sense. No one is getting to that ball and he's literally stopped it to speed up the restart. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

Just chatting in the bar, mostly about the Alli handball. It’s the rules that need clearing up. If we’re going to have VAR (which we are), the rules need to be clear cut. 

I thought the rules were clear cut, but the problem is that the VAR officials are still making subjective decisions and deciding which rules to implement. 

The Alli type handball could happen in all 10 matches next weekend, probably five would be given and five would not. Under the current rules deliberate handball is a penalty and anyone who has played football at any level knows that Alli knew what he was doing, but the VAR official decided for whatever reason to ignore the rules of football. 

VAR decisions are gradually deteriorating week by week and if the Premier League really care about FairPlay and the fans they need to bin the system until they can make it work in a consistent and fair manner. At the moment there is no accountability and the officials are misusing the system.

4 hours ago, Markyblue said:

Klopp has gone from a breath of fresh air to a terrible stench and the nearer they get to the title the more insufferable he will become. 

As has Pep... more Mourinho by the day

Re VAR, i still believe the problem is, that you cannot make it a rules only game, thats why the Alli one  and others are causing consternation.

It is SPORT, it requires an amount of interpretation, balls will bounce differently, tackles will have unexpected outcomes, we either have a sport with occasional errors (in our eyes)... or we play the game with robots/computers and have it perefect

59 minutes ago, BoyJones said:

I thought the rules were clear cut, but the problem is that the VAR officials are still making subjective decisions and deciding which rules to implement. 

The Alli type handball could happen in all 10 matches next weekend, probably five would be given and five would not. Under the current rules deliberate handball is a penalty and anyone who has played football at any level knows that Alli knew what he was doing, but the VAR official decided for whatever reason to ignore the rules of football. 

VAR decisions are gradually deteriorating week by week and if the Premier League really care about FairPlay and the fans they need to bin the system until they can make it work in a consistent and fair manner. At the moment there is no accountability and the officials are misusing the system.

Well as far as I’m aware (could be wrong), the rules for handball for the attacking team and defending team aren’t the same. So, it isn’t clear cut. 

I voted the first option, i like Var but i criticize the fact that the interpretation of the video replays depends on the moods of the referees who run Var, sometimes video replays is clearly the opposite of Var decision and that only tells us that the referees are biased.

1 minute ago, whoareyaaa said:

**** me I hate these things. 

We have tables telling us what the league looks like if we go without VAR, with only xG and if goals scored by players beginning with R counted as double.

None of it matters and its all pointless bullshit.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

**** me I hate these things. 

We have tables telling us what the league looks like if we go without VAR, with only xG and if goals scored by players beginning with R counted as double.

None of it matters and its all pointless bullshit.

I agree mate just made me laugh tbh

2 hours ago, whoareyaaa said:

I don't see how they can have Liverpool on level points with what they have now with VAR.  They've had our game and at least one other I can think of that has gone massively in their favour thanks to a backhander from the VAR official.

33 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I don't see how they can have Liverpool on level points with what they have now with VAR.  They've had our game and at least one other I can think of that has gone massively in their favour thanks to a backhander from the VAR official.

I really wish people would at least use either the phrase 'allegedly' or 'in my opinion'. 

27 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

It's nothing to do with whether VAR has got things right or wrong, it's just about whether VAR has intervened.

The ref had already given then penalty in our game and VAR didn't overturn it- that's all its saying.

If anything, it just just shows the refs have been shit against us this season and VAR has had to overturn their decisions more.

Edited by Sampson

Interesting VAR incident in the Spurs v Sheffield Utd game. Blades goal ruled out for an extremely marginal offside by the player who passed the ball to the player who passed the ball to the player who scored.

How long before we VAR every pass in the opposition half?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Unabomber said:

Does anyone still want VAR? 

VAR if used right could still be good. Of course I’d rather not have it in its current form though. 

Ruining football in its current state. 

2 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

VAR if used right could still be good. Of course I’d rather not have it in its current form though. 

Ruining football in its current state. 

That Sheffield united decision is beyond belief. I think just stick with goal line technology and use replays to retrospectively punish missed bad fouls and divers. Then just accept human error during games as it is ruining celebrations etc. 

Edited by Unabomber
  • Like 2

Also as we are seeing when they go to VAR it isn’t concrete it is still individual opinion and not fact that is deciding decisions. Awful!