Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

The VAR thread

What are your thoughts on VAR?  

679 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on VAR?

• Love it, all for it, fantastic introduction to football
    • Hate it, games gone
    • Somewhere in between

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/05/20 at 19:00

1 minute ago, Facecloth said:

I've not seen or heard anyone say it handball by Wood. Commentators said it was for the foul, every live update I've read says it was a foul.

And if it was handball, that makes the Wood goal being ruled out and the Alli goal standing even more ridiculous.

Be nice to know, but it looked like woods hand balled it before it ended up in the net

Just now, yorkie1999 said:

Be nice to know, but it looked like woods hand balled it before it ended up in the net

So you're not certain? Maybe say you're guessing then instead of dismissing my point completely?:dunno:

I'm 99% sure it was the foul. Every news outlet, the tv broadcasters, the commentators all said it was the trip. It was what Evan's was complaining about.

10 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

You need to see the stone wall penalty Watford should have had too. Absolutely disgusting decisions and one that was 100% a clear and obvious error.

Just seen that. What's the point? The guys clearly tripped up. Might as well just say its just for offside and overturning the odd decision incorrectly whenever they feel like it. Oh and handballs that lead to goals, when they feel like it on them too.

Edited by Facecloth
  • Like 1

Just now, Guest said:

If the roles were reversed and Evans accidentally clipped Wood to stop him getting to the ball I would fully expect a penalty to be given. It's a subtle trip and no doubt an accidental one but it is a foul

But in the context of the other decisions that VAR hasn't overturned, I'm not sure how it can give that? 

35 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

But was it clear and obvious? Considering some of the fouls it's not given this season, I'd say no. 

No it was not clear and obvious in real time but after seeing it on slow mood thanks to VAR it was clear and obvious. 

This is why we have VAR to spot things we may not see and give the ref a helping hand.

18 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Just saw the incident on my phone - wow!

Clear and obvious error ?  

not for me and there was no way JE was clearing that anyway 

Im not sure the fact Evans getting there is relevant to be honest. If it’s a foul then it’s a foul, as long as the balls in play at the time it’s a free kick.

The question is is it foul or a tangle of legs, I’d say the latter. But either way I don’t think you can say it’s clear and obvious no matter what your opinion.

Edited by Manwell Pablo

8 minutes ago, Vindaloo FOX said:

No it was not clear and obvious in real time but after seeing it on slow mood thanks to VAR it was clear and obvious. 

This is why we have VAR to spot things we may not see and give the ref a helping hand.

That wasn't clear and obvious lol

And if it was, why wasn't the Lerma foul on Silva classed as clear and obvious? Or the one on Pepe the other week? Its making random decisions. Missing stuff and being overly picky with other stuff.

Edited by Facecloth

3 minutes ago, Metal Lover said:

When reviewed it was clearly a trip, and it was missed initially by the ref. Therefore clear and obvious  error.  Whether or not Evans could have cleared is irrelevant, a foul is a foul. 

VAR was spot on.

So that was clear and obvious but this wasn't?

Or the pepe foul in the arsenal Bournemouth match? (I can't find a clip)

I mean ok Evans was clipped, but the threshold set so far for clear and obvious errors, this was way way way below that threshold.

10 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

So that was clear and obvious but this wasn't?

Or the pepe foul in the arsenal Bournemouth match? (I can't find a clip)

I mean ok Evans was clipped, but the threshold set so far for clear and obvious errors, this was way way way below that threshold.

I don't think decisions can ever be made in relation to other decisions wrongly or rightly.  It's not possible, or necessarily relevant.

The Evans decision was correct, and can only be judged in isolation.