Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

The VAR thread

What are your thoughts on VAR?  

679 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on VAR?

• Love it, all for it, fantastic introduction to football
    • Hate it, games gone
    • Somewhere in between

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/05/20 at 19:00

On 26/10/2019 at 21:43, Super_horns said:
Just think of the reaction if a penalty was given for this here !!

It's mind blowing. The ball was going out of play and he was just returning it. Utterly pathetic from the officials. Video of it here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/50203398

12 hours ago, trabuch said:

It's mind blowing. The ball was going out of play and he was just returning it. Utterly pathetic from the officials. Video of it here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/50203398

Wait, now I'm confused. We're blaming the officials here? The rules are the rules. What do you expect them to do, simply ignore them? 

4 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Wait, now I'm confused. We're blaming the officials here? The rules are the rules. What do you expect them to do, simply ignore them? 

Yes. There is no common sense being displayed here at all. The subs actions have not affected the game in any way. You can't seriously think that this is what the rule was about.  The contact is centimetres over the line. Also according to the rules the ref has discretion in these cases, but it should never have been brought to his attention in the first place. It's terrible, brainless officiating.

5 minutes ago, trabuch said:

Yes. There is no common sense being displayed here at all. The subs actions have not affected the game in any way. You can't seriously think that this is what the rule was about.  The contact is centimetres over the line. Also according to the rules the ref has discretion in these cases, but it should never have been brought to his attention in the first place. It's terrible, brainless officiating.

Why does common sense come into it? The rules are the rules. The player broke them. The officials spotted it. Seems pretty simple to me. Obviously completely unintentional from the player and a freak incident. But so what? 

7 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Stupid idea tbh, you can't start the league with it, then get 11 games in and 

decide you want to scrap it. Isn't fair, may as well keep for the entire year to get it sorted and streamlined instead of removing then having to reimplement it again 

On top of that, surely in order to work out how to use it properly, the best way is to try it and improve the use over each gameday. Rome wasn't built in one day etc.

2 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

On top of that, surely in order to work out how to use it properly, the best way is to try it and improve the use over each gameday. Rome wasn't built in one day etc.

I think they should have tried to iron out all the possible glitches and problems in league 2 football, not try to do it on the fly at games where there are millions of pounds at stake.

4 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Exactly, scrapping it to spend time tweaking it in perfect conditions won't help. Probably make it worse when it would eventually be reintroduced. 

It needs to be given at least a full year to streamline the process and see where mistakes are being made. He's talking out of his arse 

5 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Exactly, scrapping it to spend time tweaking it in perfect conditions won't help. Probably make it worse when it would eventually be reintroduced. 

It needs to be given at least a full year to streamline the process and see where mistakes are being made. He's talking out of his arse 

Also, isn't it clearly obvious that referee's should be watching replays when the VAR is unsure. Why don't they do it? I wish the PL or PGML whatever organisation would just come out and say why they're not doing it.

Also the clear communications with fans/players, as I always say, the rugby TMO example is perfect. Lots to learn, certainly against scrapping it but I know there are still many issues.

1 minute ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Also, isn't it clearly obvious that referee's should be watching replays when the VAR is unsure. Why don't they do it? I wish the PL or PGML whatever organisation would just come out and say why they're not doing it.

Also the clear communications with fans/players, as I always say, the rugby TMO example is perfect. Lots to learn, certainly against scrapping it but I know there are still many issues.

They have come out sadly and said it's to minimise delays... :mellow: at the minute referees use the screen in the other big European leagues more regularly and it seems to be working better. VAR making the decision cant take into account how the referee has judged the rest of the game with leniency etc and takes away the referees ability to make a decision entirely. That's the criminal part

9 minutes ago, JR99 said:

They have come out sadly and said it's to minimise delays... :mellow: at the minute referees use the screen in the other big European leagues more regularly and it seems to be working better. VAR making the decision cant take into account how the referee has judged the rest of the game with leniency etc and takes away the referees ability to make a decision entirely. That's the criminal part

What a load of cr4p (the reason, not your post). It already takes forever and they get decisions wrong. Spend that extra 30-60 secs and get it right.

The VAR referees also need to start growing a pair and overruling the referee. Get rid of this clear and obvious farce. Apply the laws as they interpret, if contentious, get the ref to review it as well (above point about using the screens).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

I understand the communication bit, purely as football fans are way more aggressive in terms of chanting and pressurising the officials, but I would love it to happen.

No clue on the screens, why it isn't used is beyond me. Wouldn't hurt for them to look at decisions such as the alli handball or the Watford penalty again rather than another official make the decision 

On 29/10/2019 at 23:42, Les-TA-Jon said:

Why does common sense come into it? The rules are the rules. The player broke them. The officials spotted it. Seems pretty simple to me. Obviously completely unintentional from the player and a freak incident. But so what? 

Surely you can’t be serious? There has to be common sense in applying the rules.

Like any area of life, any rule there has to be common sense and an understanding of the context of a situation.

9 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Surely you can’t be serious? There has to be common sense in applying the rules.

Like any area of life, any rule there has to be common sense and an understanding of the context of a situation.

I am serious. And don't call me Shirley. :) 

I guess I'm just a bit confused as to what the officials are meant to do in this situation. The rules are the rules. Are they meant to just simply not enforce them? 

Is this the same 'common sense' that makes people say players shouldn't be sent off in the first minute? 

On 29/10/2019 at 13:00, trabuch said:

Why is the VAR official even looking at that? No one else in the stadium or even in TV studios is.

I have to agree with @Les-TA-Jon here. You have a problem with the laws of the game, not VAR. The referees - video assistant or otherwise - are just enforcing the rule that the ball in play can't be interfered with by an out-of-play player (substitute/red carded/etc).

This isn't a VAR issue.

• Like 2

'PL managers to meet ref boss over VAR'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11854430

Hopefully this will highlight issues and start to get some change.

My favourite quote however is; "Klopp, who has claimed his side have been on the wrong end of several big VAR decisions" 

Of course he thinks that. Let's ignore the last minute penalty against Leicester and various other cheap things they've had.

20 hours ago, JR99 said:

It's actually making the standard of refereeing worse than it was before VAR was introduced.

The referee doesn't make use of the technology and asks for one of his close buddies, who probably refereed a game the day before that the other guy was VAR-ing and told him what to do.

Takes the decision completely away from the bloke in charge on the field.

It's a cop out ("clear and obvious" makes it so) and it's a disgrace.

There are so many bad things about VAR, but I spotted another one recently.

There's an assumption that replaying something over and over again, will eventually let you see the correct answer.   But I don't think that's true.   You might 3 or 4 takes on an event, then your brain starts to get overloaded and glaze over..

They showed a recent VAR decision over and over and over again ... probably 20 times ... and after the first few watches, your brain has just had enough.   It doesn't get any more information on the 7th or 17th time you watch it.  In fact the opposite happens.   You start to doubt what you're actually seeing.

It's a sort of "repetitive cloud over issue".   There's probably some medical name for it, although I have no idea what.  I just call it "glaze over mode".

If the VAR can't make a definitive call in the first couple of replays, then it's not "clear and obvious", and you might as well toss a coin.   Or toss something else, would be just as much use.

Guest Markyblue
1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

My favourite quote however is; "Klopp, who has claimed his side have been on the wrong end of several big VAR decisions" 

Of course he thinks that. Let's ignore the last minute penalty against Leicester and various other cheap things they've had.

Klopp has gone from a breath of fresh air to a terrible stench and the nearer they get to the title the more insufferable he will become. 

2 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

That wasn’t a VAR decision?

we shouldn’t rewrite history .... klopp is obnoxious enough .......