Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

The VAR thread

What are your thoughts on VAR?  

679 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on VAR?

• Love it, all for it, fantastic introduction to football
    • Hate it, games gone
    • Somewhere in between

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/05/20 at 19:00

7 hours ago, Super_horns said:

I do feel had that been a Burnley defender clipped by Vardy for exampke Dyche would have appealed for a free kick .

Seems to be another manager who is quick to point out things going against his side but stays quiet when they go for Burnley .

He's another that constantly moans at officials. In the Warnock style.

If it's not the referee getting it, he was constantly turning around to the 4th officials, arms out wide complaining.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, StanSP said:

He's another that constantly moans at officials. In the Warnock style.

If it's not the referee getting it, he was constantly turning around to the 4th officials, arms out wide complaining.

It gives him something to moan about other than the price of our team lol

Put VAR to one side for a moment - how on earth can Chris Kavanagh think that Albrighton’s challenge on Mane was a penalty but not Vertonghen on Deulofeu yesterday? 

If it is the case that he couldn’t see yesterday’s properly VAR needs to be overturning it. If it’s the case that he thinks he had a good view of both of them and genuinely thought last week’s was a foul and this week’s wasn’t then he needs a good long break from refereeing.

5 minutes ago, ttfn said:

Put VAR to one side for a moment - how on earth can Chris Kavanagh think that Albrighton’s challenge on Mane was a penalty but not Vertonghen on Deulofeu yesterday? 

If it is the case that he couldn’t see yesterday’s properly VAR needs to be overturning it. If it’s the case that he thinks he had a good view of both of them and genuinely thought last week’s was a foul and this week’s wasn’t then he needs a good long break from refereeing.

We all thought VAR would be getting these decisions correct. Yet it seems to have added another layer of subjectivity and bullshit from officials. 

We now seem to be looking at challenges that are penalties or fouls yet not overturning them? 

7 minutes ago, ttfn said:

If I was being cynical I'd say there was something corrupt about it.

43 minutes ago, ttfn said:

Was in the process of typing this. Deserves coverage 

• Like 1

Jonathan Pearce has summed it up perfectly

"What is the point of VAR, other than to call an offside?" 

But seriously, that VAR performance in the Spurs match was woeful. How is it not a penalty for Watford, Vertonghen goes to ground and trips Delefeou with his foot. Then Alli controls with his upper arm to score.

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

Rodgers made a comment in his post match interview that we'd had an iffy VAR decision against us vs Liverpool, then had this fortune this time. 

These decisions shouldn't feel like they even out, they all should be spot on each time 

Exactly!. 

If they're not spot on every time what's the f**king point of it? 

18 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Exactly!. 

If they're not spot on every time what's the f**king point of it? 

We don't use goal line technology to occasionally tell us when the balls fully crossed the line, its correct 100% of the time. 

I know VAR has a harder job, but what's the point in using the tech yet clear fouls are spotted yet 2 officials 'miss them'. 

It needs an overhaul in how the system is utilised. And I don't want to see Ref Watch come out and say they got no decisions wrong. VAR needs a spokesperson to come out and explain what the hell is going on

When you see some of the decisions that they won't even check the screen for (yet alone overturn) it just shows how insecure the referees are.

Someone from outside needs to be brought in to change their mindset and oversee VAR. It's pointless if they're too scared/insecure to admit theirs or their collegues mistakes - if anything: it's making them look worse.

It's a tough job and no-one wants to be shown up, but they're thinking short-term and not long-term. I bet at the end of the season someones going to do a compilation video of different VAR decisions and it's going to be embarrassing for them.   

If VAR is just another way of things evening themselves out then it serves v little purpose other than correcting the absolute missed howlers such as Henry’s handball ...... perhaps if they want to use it like that they should come out and say so and we all know where we stand .....but judging by yesterday’s events, they have no idea ! 

Maybe Chris Kavanagh is a bigger issue than VAR..... ;)

Seriously I love the idea of VAR, but right now it just seems to cause even more confusion and controversy. I am sure it will get better and we just have to deal with the child dieseases, until we figure out how to use it the best way possible.

I think we have to be one of the worst countries to implement VAR so far (apart from the Saudi incident when someone unplugged the screen to charge their phone lol). Instead of having a ridicuously har bar which is virtually impossible to achieve, why doesn't the ref go and have another look at it? Incidents such as Evans and Deulofeu should definatley be looked at by the match referee.

13 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

The ‘foul’ on origi is a long way from the goal at the other end ........ had it been close to the other end with a quick pass and then a goal I could go with it but not that one for me ......

That should have no relevance. Foul is a foul.

14 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

The ‘foul’ on origi is a long way from the goal at the other end ........ had it been close to the other end with a quick pass and then a goal I could go with it but not that one for me ......

Just now, StanSP said:

That should have no relevance. Foul is a foul.

No chance for Liverpool to properly 'reset' defensively as it goes straight into a counter attack. 

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

That aspect does gnaw away at me  but I still see a long way to the goal with plenty of defenders back 

Understand why it annoys you, its an annoying term but tend to agree with it. But you're right there's a long way to goal, fact James is so quick makes it seem a short distance. 

A fair few things need ironing out and clarifying with these rules 

It’s just simulation by Origi as it was by Sane.

Neither contacts were sufficient to cause them to go over.

Sane did it because he wanted a last minute penalty, Origi cause he had a heavy first touch.

Not quite Karma, as neither should have been given, but I take great joy in their manager’s despairing outrage.