Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

The VAR thread

What are your thoughts on VAR?  

679 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on VAR?

• Love it, all for it, fantastic introduction to football
    • Hate it, games gone
    • Somewhere in between

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/05/20 at 19:00

1 hour ago, CUJimmy said:

I have never really looked at this but the highlighted part appears to directly contradict itself.

It does appear that way, but I assume they have just phrased it badly.  And what they mean is:

If the ball hits the hand from close range, that doesn't necessarily mean it's a handball offence.   

But if you've deliberately stuck your arm out, to make you body bigger in anticipation of a cross or shot .  and then the ball hits you from close range, then that is a handball  (and not accidental, as such).

I assume that's what the apparently contradictory bit is trying to say.

By JAMIE REDKNAPP FOR THE DAILY MAIL

PUBLISHED: 22:31, 23 February 2020 | UPDATED: 22:37, 23 February 2020

I wonder, if we conducted a poll, how many supporters would want to keep VAR in the Premier League and how many would say scrap it? I know which way I'd vote.

Saturday was possibly the system's worst day since its introduction.

We look at VAR as if it's the oracle but in reality it's one man, sat behind a bank of screens at Stockley Park, offering his opinion. It's not matter of fact — it's subjective and occasionally he gets it wrong.

What we all recognised as a red card offence by Tottenham's Giovani Lo Celso against Chelsea, David Coote thought otherwise.

I don't want to hammer Coote too severely here — he simply had a bad day at the office and it was hardly his fault he had to do a double shift.

After the controversy of that Chelsea-Spurs game (with referees' body PGMOL admitting Coote made a mistake before the final whistle had even been blown), he had to act as VAR for Leicester-Manchester City.

In that match, he missed a handball by City midfielder Kevin De Bruyne which should have resulted in a penalty for the hosts at the King Power Stadium. Then City were awarded a spot-kick of their own for something similar.

Elsewhere, Bournemouth saw a perfectly good goal ruled out at Burnley for handball, even though it hit Philip Billing on the shoulder.

In fact, all that was missing on Saturday was an offside armpit and we could have yelled: 'Bingo!'

I visited Stockley Park at the start of the season and was shown how it all works. Having given the system a go for myself, I do have a degree of sympathy for the officials.

Imagine being in Coote's shoes when he has less than 30 seconds to make a game-defining decision.

He's rewinding and playing, rewinding and playing, rewinding and playing, desperately trying to make sure he has analysed every angle. We do that in the Sky Sports studio, too.

It can be easy to overlook something. The pressure on Coote and Co must be immense.

But the game feels in a bad place at the moment. Friends of mine tell me they are switching off and that should set alarm bells ringing in the Premier League headquarters.

Football is about the fans, first and foremost. We cannot have them forever feeling frustrated or lost or as if they cannot celebrate a goal because a chap in a bunker by Heathrow Airport might chalk it off.

A total of 44 goals originally given have been disallowed retrospectively by VAR this season.

You get the odd moment where it comes to the rescue and we say: 'That's what it was brought in for.' But unfortunately, the bad decisions are outweighing the good ones.

Goal-line technology was arguably the greatest innovation to be introduced to the modern game. The ball is either over the line or it isn't — there is no room for interpretation.

We all wanted to give VAR a chance but can we now say the Premier League is in a better place with it? Absolutely not. Subjective, incorrect calls are still being made from afar.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8035675/JAMIE-REDKNAPP-laughing-stock-Stockley-Park-worst-day-VAR-Premier-League.html

• Like 2

We need to wise up as a team, the only reason Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool and the likes get so many decisions is because of the way they all surround the ref and he then shits himself. Refs where told to stop this kind of action and book players who continued to get in the face of the ref. Bottled it again.

Obstruction of attacking players is another thing we need to get wise to, if it means taking one for the team then so be it, but don’t let them run through the middle of our defence and into our box like they did for the goal.

VAR is not to blame, it’s as REDKNAPP says in the posting above, my answer to the problem is scrap the Stockley Park  side of VAR and make it law that the ref has to go to the touchline screen to view a replay, if the likes of Sky can get instant replays it shouldn't take any longer than it dose now, that way the man in charge of the game and only him can correct his decision if need be.

And we as fans have to accept we all get things wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Always Next Year said:

We need to wise up as a team, the only reason Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool and the likes get so many decisions is because of the way they all surround the ref and he then shits himself. Refs where told to stop this kind of action and book players who continued to get in the face of the ref. Bottled it again.

Obstruction of attacking players is another thing we need to get wise to, if it means taking one for the team then so be it, but don’t let them run through the middle of our defence and into our box like they did for the goal.

VAR is not to blame, it’s as REDKNAPP says in the posting above, my answer to the problem is scrap the Stockley Park  side of VAR and make it law that the ref has to go to the touchline screen to view a replay, if the likes of Sky can get instant replays it shouldn't take any longer than it dose now, that way the man in charge of the game and only him can correct his decision if need be.

And we as fans have to accept we all get things wrong.

.....Thing is we'd actually get carded if we did that.....

5 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

A really good article by Redknapp above, ruined by the twat saying "City" when he meant "Man City".

Stay behind and write out 500 times "There are currently 3 teams called City in the Premier league".

And btw, why don't the pundits just called those Brummie gobshites "Aston"?

Well they call them Villa, as there's no other Villa.

7 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Well they call them Villa, as there's no other Villa.

Yeah.  But they don't call them Argyle, Stanley or North End.

If we're just "Leicester", then they should just be "Aston"!

Btw fair play to Gary Lineker pulling up Keown when he said "City" on Saturday night.  Twatto Keown sheepishly said "Man City" for the next minute.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

A really good article by Redknapp above, ruined by the twat saying "City" when he meant "Man City".

Stay behind and write out 500 times "There are currently 3 teams called City in the Premier league".

And btw, why don't the pundits just called those Brummie gobshites "Aston"?

Do people actually care that much about that? Who cares if they call them City and us Leicester or Leicester City? Yes its a bit disrespectful but compared to other things it is a nothingness, and whether you like it or not if I described a team as 'City' without saying anything more every fan in the country would know who I meant.

Saturday well and truly buried my faith in VAR, I was hopeful of the system and willing to give it the time needed to see if the system works, but in the Premier League they simply cannot get it right! I've lost all faith that the correct decision is made after the Aston Villa handball and the Manchester City debacle. Either they look at how it's managed, and force the referee to look at the monitors to enforce the referees decision is final, or they just scrap it off! It's clearly not working as it should.

It was meant to remedy incorrect decisions, but on a weekly basis they're messing it up... I'd have been more understanding if it was a "one-off" and happened once in a while, but it's far too frequent for me.

44 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

Yeah.  But they don't call them Argyle, Stanley or North End.

If we're just "Leicester", then they should just be "Aston"!

Btw fair play to Gary Lineker pulling up Keown when he said "City" on Saturday night.  Twatto Keown sheepishly said "Man City" for the next minute.

But they say Wednesday, Forest, sometimes Vale, and Spurs. It's just what rolls off easier for each club. I nearly always call Tottenham, Spurs, and Aston Villa, Villa. Would usually refer to Plymouth Argyle as Plymouth though. Nothing to do with club size either, as I'd regularly call Leyton Orient, Orient.

16 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

But they say Wednesday, Forest, sometimes Vale, and Spurs. It's just what rolls off easier for each club. I nearly always call Tottenham, Spurs, and Aston Villa, Villa. Would usually refer to Plymouth Argyle as Plymouth though. Nothing to do with club size either, as I'd regularly call Leyton Orient, Orient.

Tbf Orient isn't the best example. They've been variously known as Orient, Clapton Orient, Leyton Orient, Orient and Leyton Orient again. Orient being the common thread!

11 minutes ago, Plastik Man said:

Tbf Orient isn't the best example. They've been variously known as Orient, Clapton Orient, Leyton Orient, Orient and Leyton Orient again. Orient being the common thread!

Think the point still stands, it just works for some clubs and not for other when they have these unique names. Calling Crewe by the name Alexandra just sounds wrong and might not be clear I'm talking about the team, same with using Stanley for Accrington. You mention Preston, but just being called North End sounds shite. Some teams have just become known by their short name, like it's QPR, but hardly anyone would say WBA, it's always West Brom. Wolves are almost exclusively known by a nickname, even on most league tables. It isn't a one size fits all rule for every club.

As for Aston Villa, calling them just Aston just doesn't work. The club is probably better known than the place. Saying Aston isn't immediately obvious what I'm talking about, saying Villa it is. 

I think we can all agree though that Nottingham Forest should be referred to as Notts Forest, they love it.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

The point is there are not 3 Villa's, 3 Spurs, 3 Palace's etc in the Premier League but there is 3 City's. Norwich City club song is 'On the ball City'. I always refer to our club as 'City' when talking amongst our fans but I would say Leicester City when in the company of mixed fans. I will always pull up someone that talks about 'City' when referring to the Manchester club. It's rude and disrespectful. What really boils my goat is City fans (especially on here) calling Man City, City. Please don't. Thank you. 

But to be fair Man City are the only ‘City’ with another premier league club in the city, so them using city and United using United makes sense.

I just don’t understand why people care 

1 minute ago, bmt said:

But to be fair Man City are the only ‘City’ with another premier league club in the city, so them using city and United using United makes sense.

Fine, talking about 'City' and 'United' when in Manchester or amongst like minded individuals but not among mixed groups or fans of other 'City' or 'Uniteds'. Just stick 'Man' in front. It's lazy not to. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bmt said:

It is a bit strange and hardly something worth getting wound up over. I've never lived in Leicester and maybe as a consequence of that I've always referred to us as Leicester, never as City. 

6 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Fine, talking about 'City' and 'United' when in Manchester or amongst like minded individuals but not among mixed groups or fans of other 'City' or 'Uniteds'. Just stick 'Man' in front. It's lazy not to. 

I'm not denying that its lazy, just don't think it matters that much. And when a Man City fan comes on here (as has happened before) to say something nice then gets hounded for calling them City, you have to question whether they're doing it to wind us up or because its natural. There's too many much more important things that shaft non 'Traditional Top/Big 6' (which is in itself bullshit) clubs (eg. VAR, order and amount of tv coverage, media encouraging players to move away to Man United to increase coverage etc) to care about ownership of 'City'.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11942122/ref-watch-should-giovani-lo-celso-have-seen-red-kevin-de-bruyne-ederson-bournemouth-handball-more

Leicester 0-1 Manchester City

Dermot gives his view on whether a penalty should have been awarded against Man City and whether VAR David Coote should have been rested after the 'human error' at Stamford Bridge
INCIDENT: A free-kick from James Maddison hits Kevin De Bruyne on the arm, which is raised up to protect his face, inside the penalty area. The incident is seen by Paul Tierney and is not referred to the VAR, who was Coote - the same official on review duties during the Chelsea game earlier in the day.

Leicester manager Brendan Rodgers says he was disappointed VAR didn't give a handball against Kevin De Bruyne but said he was proud of his team despite losing 1-0 to Man City
DERMOT'S VERDICT: "He puts his hand up to protect his face and then turns away. I think that's what the VAR judges, that it's not a clear and obvious error. I think if you give a penalty, nobody would argue, but VAR felt by the time he turned away the ball was too close to him, it hit him, but that was the outcome."

INCIDENT: Ederson and Kalechi Iheanacho compete for a cross into the Manchester City box. Ederson gets a nick on the ball before the Leicester forward but catches him with his follow-through, leaving him needing treatment.

Should David Coote have sat out the Manchester City game?

DERMOT'S VERDICT: "I just think this is inevitable there's going to be a clash. When you see the ball come in, they've both got their eyes on the ball. It actually hits Iheanacho on the shoulder, and as they both jump for it it's inevitable they will collide."

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, davieG said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11942122/ref-watch-should-giovani-lo-celso-have-seen-red-kevin-de-bruyne-ederson-bournemouth-handball-more

INCIDENT: Ederson and Kalechi Iheanacho compete for a cross into the Manchester City box. Ederson gets a nick on the ball before the Leicester forward but catches him with his follow-through, leaving him needing treatment.

DERMOT'S VERDICT: "I just think this is inevitable there's going to be a clash. When you see the ball come in, they've both got their eyes on the ball. It actually hits Iheanacho on the shoulder, and as they both jump for it it's inevitable they will collide."

There are no words for how desperately stupid a take this is.

So he's used the 'protect his face' angle even though that's not an actual rule? Good one Dermot.

'by the time he turned around, it hit him'. More bollocks again. Fails to mention he's raised his arms there which is the part of the body it's hit to block it going towards belief. 

Twat. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Just for context, in a central London office, its the vast majority view ………..

the KDB incident is a certain pen btw

People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis.

32 minutes ago, davieG said:

Dermot gives his view on whether a penalty should have been awarded against Man City and whether VAR David Coote should have been rested after the 'human error' at Stamford Bridge
INCIDENT: A free-kick from James Maddison hits Kevin De Bruyne on the arm, which is raised up to protect his face, inside the penalty area. The incident is seen by Paul Tierney and is not referred to the VAR, who was Coote - the same official on review duties during the Chelsea game earlier in the day.

Leicester manager Brendan Rodgers says he was disappointed VAR didn't give a handball against Kevin De Bruyne but said he was proud of his team despite losing 1-0 to Man City
DERMOT'S VERDICT: "He puts his hand up to protect his face and then turns away. I think that's what the VAR judges, that it's not a clear and obvious error. I think if you give a penalty, nobody would argue, but VAR felt by the time he turned away the ball was too close to him, it hit him, but that was the outcome."

INCIDENT: Ederson and Kalechi Iheanacho compete for a cross into the Manchester City box. Ederson gets a nick on the ball before the Leicester forward but catches him with his follow-through, leaving him needing treatment.

DERMOT'S VERDICT: "I just think this is inevitable there's going to be a clash. When you see the ball come in, they've both got their eyes on the ball. It actually hits Iheanacho on the shoulder, and as they both jump for it it's inevitable they will collide."

The guys a complete kn*bhead. Makes no sense to me at all. So if a defender slices straight through an attacker taking him completely out without getting the ball in the box, the ref should see no reason to award a penalty because it's inevitable that they were going to collide. They are becoming Politicians thinking we cannot see for ourselves the reality in front of us. Next they will tell us not to believe what we have just witnessed.

Why don’t they just come out and admit that pressure - psychological or actual - is being applied on the officials by the Premier League and its corporate partners/patrons (Sky, other media outlets, betting companies etc) to ensure that the money-spinning, ever-newsworthy, click bait-heavy Big Six cartel is protected and that less lucrative subversives like Leicester, Wolves and Sheffield United do not get above their station?

Conspiracy theory, you scream? I have two answers to that:

1) let’s consider the evidence

2) have you heard of that other well known governing body of the game called FIFA? and do you know where the next World Cup will be held?