Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

The VAR thread

What are your thoughts on VAR?  

679 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on VAR?

• Love it, all for it, fantastic introduction to football
    • Hate it, games gone
    • Somewhere in between

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/05/20 at 19:00

He moved his face out of the way so wasn’t protecting it so it must be handballs surely. And if you come out like tht as a keeper and nearly knock someone out that has to be a pen to didn’t look like got any of the ball. Getting harder and harder to watch football due to var. we have had 1 or 2 goals rules out in our favour but it’s taking any fun out of watching it now. They could well be doing it on purpose so we don’t use it again next season  you never know. Did they look at de bruyne handball? As when it was praet they showed it on screen 

2 minutes ago, Md9 said:

He moved his face out of the way so wasn’t protecting it so it must be handballs surely. And if you come out like tht as a keeper and nearly knock someone out that has to be a pen to didn’t look like got any of the ball. Getting harder and harder to watch football due to var. we have had 1 or 2 goals rules out in our favour but it’s taking any fun out of watching it now. They could well be doing it on purpose so we don’t use it again next season  you never know. Did they look at de bruyne handball? As when it was praet they showed it on screen 

At risk of sounding like a tin foil hat wearer it seems to me that whoever is in charge of what goes on the screen replays the incident (after the VAR decision) if it was clearly correct, as was the case with Praet yesterday.

When it is more contentious it doesn’t seem to be shown.

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

@Manwell Pablo @Facecloth

Think this answers the debate! Protecting your face is not an excuse :D

It should do but they are saying that protecting your face is a natural position for your hands if a ball is being struck at you in the same way that they no longer penalise a defender if the ball hits at arm that has been stuck out to break a fall.

Jesus might be slightly off as well for the goal, if you wind forward one frame where it appears Mahrez has just played the ball he looks to be just off.

Of course they try and stop it right at the point of contact with no actual proof so we'll never know.

Watching MOTD was hilarious, total fcuk up after fcuk up from the morons at Stockley Park.

I can see a lot of us are confused so let me try and clear things up.

This is a natural positon

image.php?type=thumbnail_800x600&url=12X

So is this

has-var-contradicted-itself-during-leice

And this

But this isn't

0_Dennis-Praet-handball.jpg

This also isn't serious foul play

0_Kelechi-Iheanacho.jpg

Along with this

https://twitter.com/DecisionNoGoal/status/1231397503024730112?s=20

Oh and bonus round, this is a dive:

But this isn't

Are we all on the same page now?

11 minutes ago, MattP said:

Jesus might be slightly off as well for the goal, if you wind forward one frame where it appears Mahrez has just played the ball he looks to be just off.

Of course they try and stop it right at the point of contact with no actual proof so we'll never know.

Watching MOTD was hilarious, total fcuk up after fcuk up from the morons at Stockley Park.

The freeze frame on the first replay Sky showed had Jesus just off (imo - without the lines), but the VAR freeze frame was at a different time. Which shows that offside isn't necessarily100% accurate under VAR - well not to the nearest cm that's for sure. That said - I would give the attacker any benefit of the doubt, so in principal I don't object to that goal. But you are still dependent on when someone at Stockley Park presses pause on their video recorder ;)

Edited by trabuch

Just now, trabuch said:

The freeze frame on the first replay Sky showed had Jesus just off (imo - without the lines), but the VAR freeze frame was at a different. Which shows that offside isn't necessarily100% accurate under VAR - well not to the nearest cm that's for sure. That said - I would give the attacker any benefit of the doubt, so in principal I don't object to that goal.

There was an investigation by one of the rags earlier this season that concluded it could have up to a 33cm margin of error with Raheem Sterling at full pace.

I get the argument that this is still more accurate than the human eye but the trade off we made for VAR was for accuracy.

If we lose the spontanuity of the game like it has become to keep on guessing imo it's just not worth it.

Finally seen a slo-mo video clip of our penalty shout.  A couple of observations:

1. He has backed away from the ball.  His hands are not in front his face when looked at from where the ball was kicked.  If his arms were not there is goes through the gap between defenders not into his face.

2. If he actually jumped and turned at the same time like Laporte and Walker (?) do then it wouldn’t be an issue.

The reason our players did not appeal is that the ball did not so out of play.

1 minute ago, MattP said:

There was an investigation by one of the rags earlier this season that concluded it could have up to a 33cm margin of error with Raheem Sterling at full pace.

I get the argument that this is still more accurate than the human eye but the trade off we made for VAR was for accuracy.

If we lose the spontanuity of the game like it has become to keep on guessing imo it's just not worth it.

Yes - and the offside bit of VAR is often cited as absolutely accurate and immune from human corruption/error - it's not.

4 minutes ago, CUJimmy said:

The reason our players did not appeal is that the ball did not so out of play.

Youri did.

The others perhaps just thought it didn't hit his hands. 

I don't think players don't appeal because it doesn't go out of play lol

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

Youri did.

The others perhaps just thought it didn't hit his hands. 

I don't think players don't appeal because it doesn't go out of play lol

There is a massive difference between an appeal when the game is still going on even if it is running alongside the ref shouting in his ear (Ahem ... Jordan Henderson) and the entire team bar the keeper surrounding him.

5 minutes ago, trabuch said:

The freeze frame on the first replay Sky showed had Jesus just off (imo - without the lines), but the VAR freeze frame was at a different. Which shows that offside isn't necessarily100% accurate under VAR - well not to the nearest cm that's for sure. That said - I would give the attacker any benefit of the doubt, so in principal I don't object to that goal.

Let's do the maths

100 metres in 10 seconds 

10 metres per second

40 cm in a 25th of a second 

Tv works at 25 frames per second

Therefore Usain bolt covers 40cm every frame at full tilt

Lets say vardy  runs at half that speed - 20cm is the difference!

Offside is fact and accurate down to a toe - hope not having it.

• Thanks 1

Just now, CUJimmy said:

There is a massive difference between an appeal when the game is still going on even if it is running alongside the ref shouting in his ear (Ahem ... Jordan Henderson) and the entire team bar the keeper surrounding him.

True. But that's different to what you said!

Case in point being the Villa handball - Maddison shot, hit the guys arm and they all shouted and hounded the ref briefly. 

Maybe we need one of our players to act like an irritable twat in the ref's ear constantly. Other sides do it and get away with it!

Just now, StanSP said:

True. But that's different to what you said!

Case in point being the Villa handball - Maddison shot, hit the guys arm and they all shouted and hounded the ref briefly. 

Maybe we need one of our players to act like an irritable twat in the ref's ear constantly. Other sides do it and get away with it!

Good idea, who shall we nominate?  

Just now, CUJimmy said:

Good idea, who shall we nominate?  

Anyone!

Vardy and Kasper do it at times so they already have the reputation.

Someone like Maddison could do it. At least someone in the midfield especially when it's Jon Moss as he won't move much from the middle of the park lol 

3 minutes ago, pleatout said:

Let's do the maths

100 metres in 10 seconds 

10 metres per second

40 cm in a 25th of a second 

Tv works at 25 frames per second

Therefore Usain bolt covers 40cm every frame at full tilt

Lets say vardy  runs at half that speed - 20cm is the difference!

Offside is fact and accurate down to a toe - hope not having it.

33cm according to Sky but that analysis only holds if the attacker is running at full tilt at the moment the ball is struck.  Yesterday he possibly was not far off that but most of the time they are not.

Sometimes ideas are worth trying but you’ve got to be able to admit when they don’t work. I didn’t want VAR but at the same time was open to the idea because similar things were working well in other sports.  All it’s done is add more controversy and more stoppage time and the relating of info to the fans in the stands is appalling. See it out for the rest of this season then bin it off as an idea worth looking at that didn’t work. 

41 minutes ago, CUJimmy said:

33cm according to Sky but that analysis only holds if the attacker is running at full tilt at the moment the ball is struck.  Yesterday he possibly was not far off that but most of the time they are not.var

Var for me is about the half a dozen a season, in total, where the ref or lino has a brain fart and misses something.  Wes morgan handball at anfield  that hit him in the face.  var should have corrected that.  U

It seems to be about the half dozen every weekend that are marginal at best or the spuds cheatsea yesterday that was just plain bizarre.