Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

The VAR thread

What are your thoughts on VAR?  

679 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on VAR?

• Love it, all for it, fantastic introduction to football
    • Hate it, games gone
    • Somewhere in between

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/05/20 at 19:00

4 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Don't normally agree with Crooks but he's spot on.

I don’t know why there’s this preoccupation with the idea that people watching remotely ‘can’t make the right decision’ 

by that logic everyone’s wrong all these VAR decisions because we ourselves have looked at them remotely

• Like 1

The narrative when VAR was introduced was that it should reduce the perceived "big team bias" surrounding marginal decisions. We now have pretty blatant infringements by certain teams not only being ignored on the pitch and by VAR but the officials' decisions are actually justified afterwards by the PGMOL. If it isn't corrupt they are making great job of giving the impression that it is.

Edited by Arkie Bennett
  • Like 3

Just now, Arkie Bennett said:

The narrative when VAR was introduced was that it should reduce the perceived "big team bias" surrounding marginal decisions. We now have pretty blatant infringements by certain teams not only being ignored on the pitch and by VAR but actually justified afterwards by the PGMOL. If it isn't corrupt they are making great job of giving the impression that it is.

Exactly, it’s just doubled-down on the home team/big club bias that was there before.

2 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

I don’t know why there’s this preoccupation with the idea that people watching remotely ‘can’t make the right decision’ 

by that logic everyone’s wrong all these VAR decisions because we ourselves have looked at them remotely

No his point is that the referee on the pitch is in charge, he should be guided and helped by VAR but it shouldn't be refereeing the game for him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Arkie Bennett said:

The narrative when VAR was introduced was that it should reduce the perceived "big team bias" surrounding marginal decisions. We now have pretty blatant infringements by certain teams not only being ignored on the pitch and by VAR but the officials' decisions are actually justified afterwards by the PGMOL. If it isn't corrupt they are making great job of giving the impression that it is.

It’s fairly obvious that the way to introduce a system that can be manipulated so easily for the benefit of of the rich clubs is to make the 16 other clubs in the prem think that it would benefit them.

I’m sick of it now ...   sick to the back fvckin teeth ....  I’m sick of the stupid fvckin decisions ...   I’m sick of the pundits who haven’t got a fvckin clue ...   and as for that stupid fvckin blonde fvckin woman on Sky who says  “Well isn’t it reasonable to hold up your hands to protect your face “ ...   hahaha go the pundits ....   I could kn0ch their fvckin lights out !

6 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Right, but if the referee today was the only one in charge, he would have missed 3 clear pens? 

Sigh 🙄 where did I say it was only the ref? I said var should assist  but the final decision should be with the man on the pitch. Did you see the game last week where Mike Dean was asked about a decision and he didn't know why it was made? He's the referee, he should know everything going on it that game and be the final decision maker.

Edited by Facecloth
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

And Oliver missed the clear red in the Spurs game too 

He had VAR, that didn't change it. That was the decision Crooks was on about. Its understandable that an on field ref might miss it, but not a guy watching on a screen. Oliver should have gone to the off pitch monitor and reviewed it himself.

How are you not getting that was the point being made?

Just now, Facecloth said:

He had VAR, that didn't change it. That was the decision Crooks was on about. Its understandable that an on field ref might miss it, but not a guy watching on a screen. Oliver should have gone to the off pitch monitor and reviewed it himself.

How are you not getting that was the point being made?

But Oliver missed it, right? 

and Crooks is saying ‘remote’ people shouldn’t be making the decision. 

so if the ref misses something and remote people can’t make decisions then VAR serves no purpose, is my point. 

Just now, Les-TA-Jon said:

But Oliver missed it, right? 

and Crooks is saying ‘remote’ people shouldn’t be making the decision. 

so if the ref misses something and remote people can’t make decisions then VAR serves no purpose, is my point. 

The on pitch ref should go thr monitor after being guided by VAR! Ffs are you really this stupid?

Edited by Facecloth
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Don't normally agree with Crooks but he's spot on.

I mentioned it today after the game. It's no conicidence we don't have any officials at the World Cup. For the most watched league in the world, and for Sky to constantly tell us "it's the best league in the World", we must have the shittest officials out of the other big leagues.

I don't like Crooks usually but fair play he is right here.

I can accept a mistake here and there but it's the consistency that is, and always has been, the issue with referees. Now they have the technology to stop consistency but they don't use it. They take the advice of the ref in charge of VAR. And today, both games, the ref in charge of VAR is not a better ref than the ref on field (and I know Tierney is shit but Coote is worse).

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

The on pitch ref should go thr monitor after being guided by VAR! Ffs are you really this stupid?

Absolutely, this should have always been the case. one official making the decision end of....