Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

The VAR thread

What are your thoughts on VAR?  

679 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on VAR?

• Love it, all for it, fantastic introduction to football
    • Hate it, games gone
    • Somewhere in between

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/05/20 at 19:00

Just now, LCFCSOULBOY said:

INCIDENT: Ederson and Kalechi Iheanacho compete for a cross into the Manchester City box. Ederson gets a nick on the ball before the Leicester forward but catches him with his follow-through, leaving him needing treatment.

Should David Coote have sat out the Manchester City game?

DERMOT'S VERDICT: "I just think this is inevitable there's going to be a clash. When you see the ball come in, they've both got their eyes on the ball. It actually hits Iheanacho on the shoulder, and as they both jump for it it's inevitable they will collide."

The guys a complete kn*bhead. Makes no sense to me at all. So if a defender slices straight through an attacker taking him completely out without getting the ball in the box, the ref should see no reason to award a penalty because it's inevitable that they were going to collide. They are becoming Politicians thinking we cannot see for ourselves the reality in front of us. Next they will tell us not to believe what we have just witnessed.

The whole segment is ridiculous. He obviously just supports the referee on every decision. The guests are the only ones who say anything sensible

7 minutes ago, bmt said:

The whole segment is ridiculous. He obviously just supports the referee on every decision. The guests are the only ones who say anything sensible

They think we are stupid. People say VAR needs time but how long are we going to give it ruining games. All it has done is prevented the ref from getting any blame for wrong decisions on the day. Because no one remembers or knows who the idiot in London was who called the decision. Right now I would take the mistakes by the refs. We always moaned about how bad the refs were but right now I don't see VAR working correctly also. At least we had someone to hold responsible before. Now it's get over it and let us dictate the game our way.

Just now, LCFCSOULBOY said:

They think we are stupid. People say VAR needs time but how long are we going to give it ruining games. All it has done is prevented the ref from getting any blame for wrong decisions on the day. Because no one remembers or knows who the idiot in London was who called the decision. Right now I would take the mistakes by the refs. We always moaned about how bad the refs were but right now I don't see VAR working correctly also. At least we had someone to hold responsible before. Now it's get over it and let us dictate the game our way.

Agreed. IMO there needs to be some form of anti VAR action by the fans of all Premier League clubs. The loudest chants every week are the '**** VAR' chants, but still nobody listens. Anybody got any ideas?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, bmt said:

Agreed. IMO there needs to be some form of anti VAR action by the fans of all Premier League clubs. The loudest chants every week are the '**** VAR' chants, but still nobody listens. Anybody got any ideas?

Some people would just say boycott the games but that is not fair to the clubs or the fans. Maybe all the main supporter clubs could come together and maybe demand a meeting with the FA about the situation. I saw Venger on TV the other day talking about VAR and saying that they are working on certain segments. To me the only real problem in inconsistency with the idiot in London looking at the screen on the day. Still down to human interpretation. So what's the point of fancy equipment if it is still not full proof because of human error. I just we just need to bin it untill we have some kind of technology like goal line technology that actually works and does not require some idiot making the final decision

42 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Basically he thinks the VAR got everything right for the Spurs tackle.

Yer other refs have said you should have had a penalty and  that Bournemouth were hard done by.

Kind of sums it all up!

VAR is a lottery ..

Nah it sums up that all of them have different interpretations of the same rule and therein lies the problem and inevitable inconsistency. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, LCFCSOULBOY said:

INCIDENT: Ederson and Kalechi Iheanacho compete for a cross into the Manchester City box. Ederson gets a nick on the ball before the Leicester forward but catches him with his follow-through, leaving him needing treatment.

Should David Coote have sat out the Manchester City game?

DERMOT'S VERDICT: "I just think this is inevitable there's going to be a clash. When you see the ball come in, they've both got their eyes on the ball. It actually hits Iheanacho on the shoulder, and as they both jump for it it's inevitable they will collide."

The guys a complete kn*bhead. Makes no sense to me at all. So if a defender slices straight through an attacker taking him completely out without getting the ball in the box, the ref should see no reason to award a penalty because it's inevitable that they were going to collide. They are becoming Politicians thinking we cannot see for ourselves the reality in front of us. Next they will tell us not to believe what we have just witnessed.

It’s amazing how that line has been used twice and it’s been about Edison and one of our players both times 

“the ball had gone contact was inevitable” 

1 hour ago, Md9 said:

If he didn’t want to be hit in the face he shouldn’t have been in the wall or turn around not out your hands up it was absolute bollocks to not give a pen for it. Did ederson get a touch on the ball before nacho ? 

So in future, a player can stop a ball going into the net with his hands, as long as his face is behind his hands.

2 hours ago, Guest said:

It is a bit strange and hardly something worth getting wound up over. I've never lived in Leicester and maybe as a consequence of that I've always referred to us as Leicester, never as City. 

It's about identity. 'Leicester' is a rugby club. 'Leicester City' isn't. 

1 hour ago, Super_horns said:

Basically he thinks the VAR got everything right for the Spurs tackle.

Yer other refs have said you should have had a penalty and  that Bournemouth were hard done by.

Kind of sums it all up!

VAR is a lottery ..

It does seem as the refs are refusing to look at the pitch side monitor as though they want no responsibility for the onfield decisions. The ref only had to walk 10 paces over to the monitor to check.

1 minute ago, yorkie1999 said:

It does seem as the refs are refusing to look at the pitch side monitor as though they want no responsibility for the onfield decisions. The ref only had to walk 10 paces over to the monitor to check.

It’s ridiculous isn’t it surely they ref should go to the screen and only got to someone else if they are not sure after looking st the screen them selves. 

11 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

So in future, a player can stop a ball going into the net with his hands, as long as his face is behind his hands.

May aswell stick an extra 3 people on the line let them jump out there hands up just make sure their face is close to the ball 

25 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

It’s amazing how that line has been used twice and it’s been about Edison and one of our players both times 

“the ball had gone contact was inevitable” 

It seems clear the defining aspect of the collision is whether Edison gets any contact on the ball, whether or not Iheanacho gets a touch or not. And that this interpretation isn't applied differently to keepers than outfield players.

For me the danger is keepers are seemingly given carte blanche to make contact in the collision, with no consequences as long as they get the slightest touch on the ball. But where do they draw the line? Decapitation?! Recklessness in making a potentially dangerous challenge appears not to be a consideration.

12 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Premier League wont allow them. 

As I've posted either in this thread or another one I'm lucky to know someone who helped implement VAR. The PL are being little bitches about the way they use it also they dont use every camera angle available to them. Also they're blocking officials using the on field cameras for now. 

The weirdest thing about the Edison decisions (both Barnes and Iheanacho) is how different keepers are treated if the ball is on the ground and a striker gets a touch. 

Take United's pen yesterday, Foster if anything gets kneed in the head by the already going down Fernandes after taking his arms away. Fernandes could've avoided the collision so it isn't inevitable yet everyone seems convinced its a pen. We've had them over the years with Vardy, any contact = pen (to an extent rightfully so). But as soon as the ball is in the air, or from a collision from a cross it's suddenly a keepers god given right to make contact with a player.

This may be because the striker doesn't have an open goal after but people have made the point above, if it's anyone else anywhere else on the pitch its a foul. 

Collision wasn’t inevitable, he should have realised he was far from favourite to reach the ball first and stayed back ready to make a save or deal with the next situation. Bad judgement led him to charge out and as a result take out Kelechi,  That bad judgement should have resulted in a penalty.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Ashley said:

As I've posted either in this thread or another one I'm lucky to know someone who helped implement VAR. The PL are being little bitches about the way they use it also they dont use every camera angle available to them. Also they're blocking officials using the on field cameras for now

One can only hope they doing so to have a large data set so it backs up changes for next season. :dunno:

A strange thing that seems to be completely dismissed is that, the excuse is usually, ‘he only had eyes for the ball’. 

Having no awareness of what is going on around you when making a forceful challenge/punch is wreckless. You can’t do it anywhere else on the pitch and the art of winning the ball as an outfield player is by timing it well (in regards to your opponent). 

Edited by Leeds Fox
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Bad choice by the player I think, as that was never a penalty cos he was

• too close
  • running, so hands/arms in a normal position

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

As I've posted either in this thread or another one I'm lucky to know someone who helped implement VAR. The PL are being little bitches about the way they use it also they dont use every camera angle available to them. Also they're blocking officials using the on field cameras for now. 

Whoever is in charge needs to be investigated by FIFA and fined heavily for misuse of the VAR system.

Why is it in this country we seem to have a "we know best" attitude and try our utmost to "do things our way"?

Every incident which is reviewed by VAR should be forwarded for scrutiny by the on-the-field referee to make the final decision via the screens.

Worked perfectly well enough at the World Cup yet here we make a complete shambles of it.

3 hours ago, bmt said:

Ive read online that he’s actually employed by the PGMOL which would explain a lot.

Edited by TheUltimateWinner