Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

The VAR thread

What are your thoughts on VAR?  

679 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on VAR?

• Love it, all for it, fantastic introduction to football
    • Hate it, games gone
    • Somewhere in between

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/05/20 at 19:00

18 minutes ago, FoxOfMelton said:

There's no doubt in my mind anymore; VAR is being manipulated to keep the elite clubs elite.

I really don’t want to believe that - it seems that the VAR sitting in Stockley park away from the stadium and the ‘big’ players is just as intimidated as the on field ref always has been 

having the call being made in SP is supposed to take away any crowd/player effect on the ref using the pitch side screen - but it seems it isn’t !

43 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

Just seen this about the goal yesterday, how do they work out when the ball was realised if they can’t see the ball? 

They have more than one camera to judge the point of release and it’s a 3D system that draws the lines ........ I think the final image we see (and which is used) is generated automatically by the system .... the still frame above is just after the ball has left mahrez’ foot.

I guess the overall question about how accurate the freeze can be is relevant and that’s why the authorities are talking about a margin of error for next season - not that this changes the minutiae of measuring whether the forward is beyond the line but it means that in the case of a very marginal call, it is likely to actually be offside. This season, some of the v tight calls are probably wrong and any change would take the benefit of any doubt returning to the attacker. But please not the wenger idea !

Edited by st albans fox

7 hours ago, pleatout said:

Var for me is about the half a dozen a season, in total, where the ref or lino has a brain fart and misses something.  Wes morgan handball at anfield  that hit him in the face.  var should have corrected that.  U

It seems to be about the half dozen every weekend that are marginal at best or the spuds cheatsea yesterday that was just plain bizarre.

Even if it had hit Wes's hand, it couldn't have been handball as he would have been protecting his face as it did hit his face, so why was even considered it to have been a handball as of todays ruling, your hand is in a natural position if you protect your face.

3 minutes ago, messerschmitt said:

Even if it had hit Wes's hand, it couldn't have been handball as he would have been protecting his face as it did hit his face, so why was even considered it to have been a handball as of todays ruling, your hand is in a natural position if you protect your face.

Very true. Worst game of officiating I’ve probably ever watched. With simpsons ‘handball’ where it was blasted at him from 2 yards at about 200 mph as well. 

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Apparently there isn’t one although you are allowed to protect your Crown Jewels and your face in the normal course of the game - there, clear as mud !!

This is the relevant bit from laws of the game

HANDLING THE BALL

It is an offence if a player:
    deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, including moving the hand/arm towards the ball
    gains possession/control of the ball after it has touched their hand/arm and then:
        scores in the opponents’ goal
        creates a goal-scoring opportunity
    scores in the opponents’ goal directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper

It is usually an offence if a player:
    touches the ball with their hand/arm when:
        the hand/arm has made their body unnaturally bigger
        the hand/arm is above/beyond their shoulder level (unless the player deliberately plays the ball which then touches their hand/arm)

The above offences apply even if the ball touches a player’s hand/arm directly from the head or body (including the foot) of another player who is close.

Except for the above offences, it is not usually an offence if the ball touches a player’s hand/arm:
    directly from the player’s own head or body (including the foot)
    directly from the head or body (including the foot) of another player who is close
    if the hand/arm is close to the body and does not make the body unnaturally bigger
    when a player falls and the hand/arm is between the body and the ground to support the body, but not extended laterally or vertically away from the body

To summarise:

You can protect the delicate area between your legs, by having your hands still, as you are not "making your body unnaturally bigger".

What you can't do is raise your hands above shoulder level and touch the ball.   There is no such thing as "protecting your face".   If the ball comes towards your face ... you head the ball!.    Using your hands is, and had always been, handball..   See the rules above

3 minutes ago, browniefox said:

I have only just seen the "handball" given against Watford, if that was taken away from Leicester id have been fvcking raging. His arm is tight to his side, how can he stop that? A ridiculous decision. 

IT DOESNT MATTER !!!!!!

HANDBALL IN THE EVENT IF A GOAL OR DIRECTLY LEADING TO A GOAL IS NON INTENTIONAL - ANY CONTACT WITH THE ARM IS NO GOAL, IRRESPECTIVE OF BEING DELIBERATE - IF HE WAS LAYING UNCONSCIOUS ON HIS  BACK IT WOULD STILL BE DISALLOWED 

that’s the new law this season ........

Edited by st albans fox

Just now, st albans fox said:

IT DOESNT MATTER !!!!!!

HANDBALL IN THE EVENT IF A GOAL OR DIRECTLY LEADING TO A GOAL IS NON INTENTIONAL - ANY CONTACT WITH THE ARM IS NO GOAL, IRRESPECTIVE OF INTENTION 

that’s the new law this season ........

I KNOW,

But fvck me his arm is tight to his side. An absolute joke. I get it if the arm is out but when you can't put it anywhere else it's a piss take.

Lower your tone.

3 minutes ago, browniefox said:

I KNOW,

But fvck me his arm is tight to his side. An absolute joke. I get it if the arm is out but when you can't put it anywhere else it's a piss take.

Lower your tone.

If you know then how can you be upset by it - there isn’t any argument ??.

i reckon this will change either this summer or next and the new law will say that only if the ball enters the goal off an arm is it disallowed or if the VAR/ref judges that use of the arm was unjustified ( ie. un natural position) and led directly to the goal being scored.  So that one today and West Ham’s at Sheffield u and probably wolves against us would stand. 

of course, that leads to subjective calls like the KDB one yesterday and the point of the new law was to avoid any ‘grey’ areas ..... I guess if you fix one thing then you potentially unfix another !

Edited by st albans fox

Just now, st albans fox said:

If you know then how can you be upset by it - there isn’t any argument ??.

i reckon this will change either this summer or next and the new law will say that only if the ball enters the goal off an arm is it disallowed or if the VAR/ref judges that use of the arm was unjustified ( ie. un natural position) and led directly to the goal being scored.  So that one today and West Ham’s at Sheffield u and probably wolves against us would stand. 

It is a shitty rule. And if there was no argument then they wouldn't need to change the rule. What you suggest makes sense but then at the same time there will be situations that don't make sense. Best to leave it to the ref on the pitch, if he sees it then he can choose of its missed then it's missed. 

I know it's been done to death but VAR is ruining the game. A game that is one of the biggest money makers out there and they're ruining it. Taking that little bit of magic away. I'd like to go to work one day and speak about the spawny bastards getting away with a handball or dive, not go in and have to talk about how was this or that given considering they look at so many angles of it? 

I can't see how this system keeps the fans interested as much as they have been. Time will tell.

9 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

This is the relevant bit from laws of the game

HANDLING THE BALL

It is an offence if a player:
    deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, including moving the hand/arm towards the ball
    gains possession/control of the ball after it has touched their hand/arm and then:
        scores in the opponents’ goal
        creates a goal-scoring opportunity
    scores in the opponents’ goal directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper

It is usually an offence if a player:
    touches the ball with their hand/arm when:
        the hand/arm has made their body unnaturally bigger
        the hand/arm is above/beyond their shoulder level (unless the player deliberately plays the ball which then touches their hand/arm)

The above offences apply even if the ball touches a player’s hand/arm directly from the head or body (including the foot) of another player who is close.

Except for the above offences, it is not usually an offence if the ball touches a player’s hand/arm:

directly from the player’s own head or body (including the foot)
    directly from the head or body (including the foot) of another player who is close
    if the hand/arm is close to the body and does not make the body unnaturally bigger
    when a player falls and the hand/arm is between the body and the ground to support the body, but not extended laterally or vertically away from the body

To summarise:

You can protect the delicate area between your legs, by having your hands still, as you are not "making your body unnaturally bigger".

What you can't do is raise your hands above shoulder level and touch the ball.   There is no such thing as "protecting your face".   If the ball comes towards your face ... you head the ball!.    Using your hands is, and had always been, handball..   See the rules above

I have never really looked at this but the highlighted part appears to directly contradict itself.

• Thanks 1